• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The Official Therapy Thread: Coming to Terms with Guitars You Know You Will Never Own (Pics)

Oneofthe

I'm not certain if this has been done here, but I thought of starting this thread today.

I'm a relatively poor but happy man. I'm set with my rig, an American Special Telecast, Roland Blues Cube Hot, Deja-Vibe, Vox Wah Pedal, TC mini Flashback, TC Mini Reverb. Fine, I can afford a dirt pedal which is the only thing missing but I'm a clean player for now. So, I love my rig, my soul is complete, I have met my Gear Soulmates.

But, but, but I have a wandering eye for guitar, we all do. I just know with the money I make I will never, ever own them. I know I'm satisfied with what I have but, but, but I'm accepting there are just some guitars that are forever out of my reach unless I win the Lottery or Publisher's Clearing House.

These are those Guitars. Please, this is therapeutic. Share your, "never will own until we make it to Paradise," Guitars.

The First is one I have not known of anyone on here to own. It is the Echo Park Ghetto Bird (a variant of the Gibson Firebird). I will never have the money to own it ever but I desperately love it, like a pin-up girl you know you can never have, always loving my wife. It starts at $7,000.00 dollars, starts mind you. I just can't justify with the little money I make buying a guitar that is worth a more than a 1/3 of what my car or a new car is worth. Here is the beauty:

Fine, I will never own her. Then, of course, there is something else I really want. Two Guitars from the same company, I just will never own. The PRS SC245 and the PRS 594. They retail around $3,300.00 and $3,800.00 respectively:

Now, I will never own them. They aren't too far out of my reach, but honestly my guitar utility curve and demand curve meet at a lower price point and I just can't justify the price for what I am, an amateur, hobbyist musician. So, I know I will never own them, ever. I will be lucky if I ever get to sit with them and play them to see if I am truly missing out or not. All I know is until I go to Paradise, I will never know.

My limit for a guitar is $2,000.00 dollars. I will never spend more than that. So, I guess I can buy a PRS CE24 and a Gibson Firebird, they are something like it, and be very content. But for now, I'll enjoy the music I make on my Tele, being very happy to own it.

This post and this thread can be very therapeutic. It's just coming to terms with guitars you know are worth it but you know you will never own.

Johnny21

Silver Supporting Member
The PRS pictures appear to be private stock. The bottom one definitely is about $10,000 new. Its the private stock mccarty 594

Reactions: C-4
I recently bought one of my Holy Grail guitars and it probably wasn't the time (kid going to college soon, another one in middle school). Then again spending this kind of money on a guitar would never be the right time for me so I pulled the trigger.

Now I'm not one to put a large purchase on a credit card and pay the minimum forever. I mean I sold guitars, gear or whatever I could find around the house that I didn't need / use. This paid for half the guitar.

Oh, I have a Guitar Center Card no interest for 36 months so they are basically holding the note for me. I'll have the guitar paid off in a few months. I have the 3 guitars I've always wanted.

I bet You'll be surprised that one day you may run into that Holy Grail guitar and take it home.

Average Joe

An arch top jazz box. I love the look and sound of something like an L5. I would love to own one. But there's no way i can justify putting that kind of money into what would be a specialty item.

morgan918

All kinds of dream guitars, like a 68 Custom or 1954 LP goldtop. For new builders I'd love a Yanuizello.

BTW, I love those Echopark firebird thingies. Real beauties.

I'm starting to feel like I'll never actually own a Gibson ES-339. I keep thinking this year is the year, every year, but the cards never have it in there.

morgan918

I'm starting to feel like I'll never actually own a Gibson ES-339. I keep thinking this year is the year, every year, but the cards never have it in there.
I bought a 335 earlier this year after drooling for years over one and then using an amazing one in a studio. I had to sell all kinds of crap but it was totally worth it. I love that thing.

Guitarworks

Ok, I accept that I will never own any ultra expensive ancient gear made at a time when a lack of technology rendered many amps featureless and inflexible, and gave us guitars with neck pocket gaps, unsheathed truss rods that adjust at the heel, and unbeveled single-ply pickguards. Oh the relief! You're right- this IS terapeutic.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
An arch top jazz box. I love the look and sound of something like an L5. I would love to own one. But there's no way i can justify putting that kind of money into what would be a specialty item.
Me too.. would love an L5, or a Barney Kessel, or Al Caiola.. I don't play jazz.. just won't happen..

Oneofthe

Ok, I accept that I will never own any ultra expensive ancient gear made at a time when a lack of technology rendered many amps featureless and inflexible, and gave us guitars with neck pocket gaps, unsheathed truss rods that adjust at the heel, and unbeveled single-ply pickguards. Oh the relief! You're right- this IS terapeutic.
Friend it is Christmas, just name it, that impossible gear and you just may get it. It is therapeutic and I love your humor but just name it and you may get it. That's the fun, nothing is impossible especially if we put our finger on it. We are brothers and sisters on here and everywhere.

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
Me too, I love the 339...and the other one for me is a Gretsch Duo Jet. It's not that I can't buy them, I can, I just don't need another guitar.

doc

Silver Supporting Member
I guess its possible I'll someday own a real '59 'Burst, but probably not. I've got a Frankenstein with a '55 neck thats REALLY close to the 'Bursts I've played though, so I'm good.

The minute-and I am NOT exaggerating in the LEAST-that I came to terms with the fact that I would never own a vintage, all original PRS, much less one played by a hero, I got a phone call heralding an unexpected lump o cash.

So, I now own my dream guitar, I have my all-original-vintage-guitar fix. Well almost; the sweet switch was converted to a killswitch by the previous owner. But I ain't fussed with that. I actually had a single moment of post-purchase remorse, watching videos of Ace Frehley play Cold Gin live; I wished for a guitar with a killswitch, but knew deep inside I would not mess with the sweet switch to get a killswitch. So, it all worked out.

My dream amp, however, is a different story. I will not have a Mesa Mark IIb/c or Mark III black stripe any time soon. Hell, I can't even afford a used Nomad 100.
And I certainly won't have my BC Audio JMX50 head and 412 cab loaded with Scumback 25w H55PVC speakers.

But...

That's okay.

Cause I got one HELL of a guitar.

guitargeek6298

Silver Supporting Member
I honestly can't think of anything that I want that I couldn't one day own. And I don't say that because I make a ton of money (I don't), but what I want just didn't cost very much.

The most expensive guitar I own was my Carvin at ~$975, and I really don't want much else.

Maybe another super strat in a loud, obnoxious color but another 1k would get me one of those. I think I can save up for that some time before I die.

sg13

I'm not certain if this has been done here, but I thought of starting this thread today.

I'm a relatively poor but happy man. I'm set with my rig, an American Special Telecast, Roland Blues Cube Hot, Deja-Vibe, Vox Wah Pedal, TC mini Flashback, TC Mini Reverb. Fine, I can afford a dirt pedal which is the only thing missing but I'm a clean player for now. So, I love my rig, my soul is complete, I have met my Gear Soulmates.

But, but, but I have a wandering eye for guitar, we all do. I just know with the money I make I will never, ever own them. I know I'm satisfied with what I have but, but, but I'm accepting there are just some guitars that are forever out of my reach unless I win the Lottery or Publisher's Clearing House.

These are those Guitars. Please, this is therapeutic. Share your, "never will own until we make it to Paradise," Guitars.

The First is one I have not known of anyone on here to own. It is the Echo Park Ghetto Bird (a variant of the Gibson Firebird). I will never have the money to own it ever but I desperately love it, like a pin-up girl you know you can never have, always loving my wife. It starts at $7,000.00 dollars, starts mind you. I just can't justify with the little money I make buying a guitar that is worth a more than a 1/3 of what my car or a new car is worth. Here is the beauty:

Fine, I will never own her. Then, of course, there is something else I really want. Two Guitars from the same company, I just will never own. The PRS SC245 and the PRS 594. They retail around $3,300.00 and $3,800.00 respectively:

Now, I will never own them. They aren't too far out of my reach, but honestly my guitar utility curve and demand curve meet at a lower price point and I just can't justify the price for what I am, an amateur, hobbyist musician. So, I know I will never own them, ever. I will be lucky if I ever get to sit with them and play them to see if I am truly missing out or not. All I know is until I go to Paradise, I will never know.

My limit for a guitar is $2,000.00 dollars. I will never spend more than that. So, I guess I can buy a PRS CE24 and a Gibson Firebird, they are something like it, and be very content. But for now, I'll enjoy the music I make on my Tele, being very happy to own it.

This post and this thread can be very therapeutic. It's just coming to terms with guitars you know are worth it but you know you will never own.
You know there is a middle ground between your current rig and that $7000 thing called the ghetto bird. If you want a real ghetto bird, buy a $500 firebird zero and a prs se and you're 90% there. Put a little more into your amp and you might feel better. Cheers!

MattC

Silver Supporting Member
If you'd spend up to 2k, an SC245 is well within reach on the used market.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom