The official Two-Rock thread! Post your amps, favorites, opinions, pics and tips here

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mathiassiv, Mar 20, 2014.

1. mathiassiv

mathiassiv Member

As a response to the Dr. Z thread mr. tweedbucket made a few days ago, I want to see your Two-Rock amps.

[​IMG]

Post pics, opinions, settings and tips here...

Whats your favorite model?
    Which ones have you owned?
    Which one do you want?
    Settings?
    Signature or extension cab?
    Speakers?

Bring it! PS:

:worthless

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  2. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

I started out approx. 10 years ago with Opal #19. It was my second or third boutique amp and if I knew what I know now, I would have been done. About 5 years ago I bought a second Opal combo. After a little investigation I discovered it was a transitional and not the same exact design. A hybrid between the Custom Reverb and the Opal. Close but no cigar.
    Fast forward to my recent Carol Ann obsession and discovery of a low serial#27 Opal available. I traded for the Carol Ann Texas 50 I thought would end my gas and bought Opal #3. With a suggestion from my neighbor/gearho/tonehound GuitarDave, A/B the two side by side for a change.
    Well land a goshen, it's all come full circle and I'm happy/relieved to say, Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. The Opal is the amp for me. It has the tone, touch, and tweakability I want. The cleans are glorious. The overdrive makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck at volume, and is still perfect at house volumes. It will do the edge of breakup or get filthy amounts of gain and feedback. Not the Two Rock for everyone to be sure, but it's the perfect one for me.
    Also owned:
    Ruby- I loved that one and would put it #2 for me.
    Emerald Pros- two different ones. Not for me
    Jet- also not for me
    Tried owned by others;
    Custom
    Custom Reverb
    Jade
    Kimock

The Texas 50 will be on loan to Big Mike while I recover from back surgery scheduled for this Monday morning. It's such a great amp but I am back in my happy place.

3. SeanMc

SeanMc Member

Great cleans, great pedal platform. I use the lead channel to add a bit of distortion, but really... This is my backup amp.

[​IMG]

Ronnie J, GP_Hawk, Kostas and 2 others like this.
  4. Rick0

Rick0 Member

I've had the pleasure of using Two-Rock amps for the last 14 years. They have never let me down. Really fine amps IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

macmax77, proxy, CRAIG4FSU and 2 others like this.
  5. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

[​IMG]

Huge fan here! Nothing compared to Traviswalk's collection but does me good! I've owned 2 Custom Reverb Signatures and now the Mayer sig. Hard to pick a favourite, they're all good for different things. The lead channel on the 50w tube rectified CRS I has was incredible, and the SS 100w version isn't quite as nice, but the cleans are a lot nicer with the solid state rectification. The Mayer sig, from my very limited experience so far, takes pedals very differently to the others. Not sure what it is but the pedal output levels have to be set much higher than with the CRS's. Might just be how I've set them up. Can't wait to play with it a bit more though!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    Clean-Tone likes this.
  6. thewordking

thewordking Member

Wow, impressive collections. I've only been a Two Rock user for about three months, but I'm loving my Studio Pro 35 head and cab. I'll spare you the pics, but it's quite lovely. Also, is it just me or is there something really special about a tubescreamer combined with the TR clean? I can't get enough of that sound.

Also, really looking forward to hearing/trying the Crystal. I love the Studio Pro, but if the Crystal is as good as some say I might have to upgrade.

7. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Haha! Thanks! They are my favorite amp brand and the ones I've been consistently happy with. Here are a few pics of them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was my first and then led to all of the others!!

[​IMG]

8. Roccorobb

Roccorobb Member

Holy mess! What do you do for a living?

Daniel Travis and blustrat like this.
  9. nudefish11

nudefish11 Member

Stunning Setup... Congrats.... :beer :rockin :love:

10. nudefish11

nudefish11 Member

Surely your not married with an amazing collection like that :aok

11. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Holy **** travis that's an insane collection!!

12. 1198SP

1198SP Supporting Member

I'm only have one at the minute. Got a TR Studio Pro Plus 35W about a month ago and love it. Sounds great with my strat and CU24 straight into the amp or through a few effects. I would post a picture my posting rules say "you may not post attachments"

13. jimi junior

jimi junior Member

It seems their line-up has changed somewhat for 2014, with a number of new amps and a number of amps which have stopped production (although, from what I gather, some of the new amps are closely based on previous models?)

I wonder if one of you two-rock experts could post a little summary of their current line-up and how it relates to previous offerings? Could be useful for other readers of this thread. I for one am quite confused.

My knowledge is far from complete, but here's a start, maybe someone would care to edit and complete it -

Current Single channel
    Crystal - top of the line single channel model. Goes for fendery/dumbly cleans and light breakup.

Studio Pro and Studio Pro Plus - lower priced single channel model, goes for fendery/dumbly cleans and light breakup. Plus model has tremolo, tone-stack bypass and slightly bigger cab.

Classic Reverb - single channel fendery/dumbly cleans and break up tones with a switchable FET gain boost.

Coral - ??? not even on their site, although I thought this one might be replacing the classic reverb?

Previous Single Channel
    Mayer Signature - basis of the current Crystal

EXO15 - 'lunchbox' affordable mini amp, clean/light gain sounds.

Current Two Channel

Sensor - classic two rock clean with a more agressive marshally overdrive

Bi-Onyx - ???

Previous Two Channel
    Jet - less expensive fendery/dumbly clean and overdrive sounds. Similar size and pricepoint of the Studio Pro, but two channel version. Does this have a new replacement?

Opal - ???

Gain Master - ???

14. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

The coral is replacing the custom reverb v3, not classic reverb.
    The Bi onyx is a d-style amp with a bit if marshall thrown in and classic two rock clean sounds.
    Gain master is similar to the overdrive channel of the custom reverb sig v3 but scaled down. Now discontinued and replaced by the sensor.
    They are also still making the fujita and schofield models. The schofield is basically a clean amp based on the a few other two rocks (studio pro, CRS etc...).

The used to have lots more amps like the sterling sig., CRS v1 and 2, j2, K&M models (custom etc..) 10th anniversary, emerald, emerald pro, TS-1, Onyx, classic type, eric gales, kimock, etc etc....

15. cnardone

cnardone Member

I first played a two rock at Kens (From Ultra sound) house in New Canaan CT. We met on the old PRS forum. It was 1999 and I was blown away. A few year later when I could afford it, I went to Ultra sound and played the Opal and LTD. I loved the Opal and loved the LTD even a little more. I few days later I made my way up to a boutique in New Paltz NY (i don't remember the name now now).

I bought Custom Prototype #2 on the spot. She is glorious. I have the mid boost on the foot switch to. It is a big feature for me. I almost always have it off on when clean and almost always have it on for dirt. I've never owned another. I still gas for a LTD or Opal though. BYW I am running into a Harry Joyce speaker. I've been thinking I need to get myself a EV though.

Several years ago, I has Jdesigns build me a combo cab for it.
    [​IMG]

16. mathiassiv

mathiassiv Member

Some real good collections in here... Oh, the envy...

Would love it if Tomo Fujita shared a story or two about his signature model!

17. bubbagump_j

bubbagump_j Gold Supporting Member

Two Rock "The Wood" Amp
    [​IMG]

Rod likes this.
  18. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

Who wants to explain exactly what the "Two-Rock Custom" amps are then? I've seen them in many forms, from custom orders to what I assume are earlier models?

19. lestera34

lestera34 Supporting Member

I am pretty sure a good portion of them were one offs of other models that were ether discontinued or made in small numbers.

20. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

I've owned almost every pre PBG model and the one pictured below is far and away my favorite. It was built by Bill Krinard. I was able to play the TS1 that Bill built for Robben Ford and loved it so we cannibalized a Twin Reverb for the tranny and other things, and Bill reached into his stash of NOS vintage parts, and voila: a monster of an amp with the nicest cleans of any TR I've played, including the Mayer Sig.

[​IMG]