The official Two-Rock thread! Post your amps, favorites, opinions, pics and tips here

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mathiassiv, Mar 20, 2014.

1. MBrady

MBrady Member

If you liked the clean on the TS1, I feel like there is no way I can accurately describe how much better the clean on the Bloomfield is. Same sort of style... ish... just a lot more 3D. More beauty in the cleans. Same ability to drive and punch hard. Still super tight and percussive. Just a fantastic sounding clean.

If you are at all considering the BF, you want it. Just get one. It’s far better than the TS1 in my opinion.

plumberstrummer, Wyzard and justin like this.
  2. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Supporting Member

This is probably kind of left field, but I’ve owned a few TR’s now and have owned/played a few ODS clones. The TR cleans are more satisfying than a pure ODS, which tend to be a little “dry” IMO. I’m obviously not comparing apples to apples here. I just like TR’s take on a clean channel much more than trying to chase a pure D sound.

BF vs TS1 = BF. TC vs BF = best clean vs great clean plus drive. BF probably wins out here too. As much as I love the JM circuit and all its cleanly goodness, there are MANY a time when I miss that gain stage of the pre-Sig Custom Reverb. That was an experience. Visceral.

3. White Buffalo

White Buffalo Supporting Member

Which specific years?

4. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Supporting Member

You’ll go down a whole new rabbit hole here :)

(K&M Custom>) Custom Reverb > Custom Reverb Artist> Custom Reverb Signature V1 > Custom Reverb Signature V2 > Custom Reverb V3.

2004. What I had was the first iteration in a line of changes and tweaks to the circuit/Reverb/who knows what else. I can’t tell you exactly what changes, but I believe the amp got brighter and the Reverb lusher over time. The original was pretty dark and middy, which made for a killer OD. But perhaps at the slight sacrifice In cleans (unless you like darker cleans - which I do).

I can’t tell you if there is a “best” of all of these versions. You’d probably get three opinions if you asked three different people. Sig V1 would prob be my choice as it’s nearly the same as my old pre-Sig, just slightly refined.

The Bloomfield would be the closest In function to the Custom Reverb line.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    plumberstrummer and Wyzard like this.
  5. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I've never read a lot of great thoughts about the V3 (which I own) in comparison to the older ones.

6. Wyzard

Wyzard Member

A mate of mine has one, and he blows hot and cold on it all the time - I keep trying to get him to lend it to me to compare with my V1, but every time I ask, he says something along the lines of: "I don't want to be without it, as I use it a lot...."

Given he has at least as many great-sounding amps as I do, if not more, how bad can it be if he keeps right on using it?

I'm hoping the Bloomfield will wrap up the cleans from my V1 and the gain from my LTD in one package. A little added brightness/fierceness in the gain wouldn't go amiss either.

TheWayfarer84 likes this.
  7. Durgs83

Durgs83 Supporting Member

When I say I loved the TS1 clean channel, it was the 50w version and I had it running dirty as hell and it was glorious when I threw in the bypass switch. So, I’m not necessarily referring to running it clean per say. It was very dirty and sounded cranked with bypass. Can you obtain that with Bloomfield clean channel?

8. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Yup. Most folks don't realize that the Mayer is basically, "...a Classic Reverb without the bells & whistles"....from the mouth of the amp's designer to my ears.

They built 25 total (right?), and they sold all 25 in one afternoon @ $10,000/each. That scarcity (and great tone), is why they seem to just go up and up in value...in my opinion.

9. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Oh, take him further down the rabbit hole! That Custom Reverb name was just a continuation of the Emerald - Emerald Pro - Topaz - Opal - etc..... line of amps that became the Custom Reverb Signature line. All the same architecture circuit-wise (cascaded gain stages, etc...), just tweaks along the way.

StratStringSlinger likes this.
  10. Bluesful

That would be interesting to hear if you ever get the chance.

11. plumberstrummer

plumberstrummer Fatal3Records.com Silver Supporting Member

That sounds like a Bloomfield will be more to your liking. The CLRS will also OD in it's way, but on the Bloomfield I can say that both channels will do that same open and defined OD if pushed.

12. Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike Supporting Member

Got an update today that my Bloomfield is almost finished and will be shipped out in the next few weeks.
    Then I came upon this......Josh Smith playing the Bloomfield at Oz's AGH and almost soiled myself.

I'm in Dallas for a gig and just don't know how am I going to get any sleep for the next few weeks.

plumberstrummer and DaveP like this.
  13. Durgs83

Done!!! Plumberstrummer, In previous posts you said you have a 40/20. Have you had experience with the 100 watt to compare. I’m ready to pull the trigger on a 40/20 because I’ve always melted into my 67 Deluxe Reverb, 66 Princeton Reverb and 58 Tweed Deluxe. Something about 6v6 tubes pushed is remarkable. And I mic my amps, so no big deal there. Back in early 2000s, if Trey Anastasio could mic a 22 watt Deluxe Reverb with a packed house at venues like Madison Square Garden, I’m pretty sure I’ll be ok with 40 watts but I’d hate to miss our on something special with a 100 watter. What are your thoughts there?

14. plumberstrummer

plumberstrummer Fatal3Records.com Silver Supporting Member

Sure, Im happy to share my experience with both. The "sweet spot" is easier to get to with the 6v6, and you will not have any volume issues - that's not the concern in my opinion. It more comes down to if you want that low end "smack", like SRV (or you get from a bassman or Dumble ODS/SSS). The 100 watt trannie communicates more of that bass, and is a much "bigger" sounding amp all around... so if that deep bass is what you're after, get 100.

Still, the 6v6 has plenty of low end for any real world application in my opinion; but the low bass can muddy up the power section easier than in 100, so I tend to turn the bass down (depending on guitar). Since you already play Deluxes and such, you should understand the principle well. However, unlike a Deluxe, you can get a really tight bass smack all the way up the dial - just depends on the guitar at that point. And if you like 6v6 growl, the 40/20 is it.

So, if you want the sweet harmonics and are looking to drive the power tubes to OD from time to time, get the 6v6. If you want that low end smack and high headroom, get the 100.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    MBrady, DiPa and 63cfm like this.
  15. Durgs83

It’s 40/20 then. I’m getting an EL34 Bruno S100 shortly anyway, so that will satisfy my Dumble style 100w amp needs anyway. Brutal though as I’ll have to wait for 4+ months for the Bloomfield. Oh well. It’s worth the wait for a grab and go quad of 6v6s in a two channel combo. Wish someone would post a clip of the 40/20 though. Dying to hear it!

16. Bluesful

Is that the current wait on them?

17. White Buffalo

White Buffalo Supporting Member

Hmm, starting to seem like (for me) the Bloomfield would be the one to pair with the TC-100. I've sort of lost interest in the CLRS, only because I'm learning blackface style circuits aren't really for me, which is funny 'cause I've spent years loving them. I know I've said it above, but I'll be starting with the TC.
    I thought it might be interesting to run the TC with something like an SLO for leads. Less conventional than what most of the Mayer fans are doing, but something I think would be cool. I'm in the middle of a full rig revamp, so will be playing with some different amp combos. I wonder if the Alessandro 1/2 AZZ would be too redundant with either the TC or Bloom. Also, since the Bloom is about the same price as a used Custom Reverb (pre-sig), is it maybe worth considering going the CR route? Wondering how they compare.

plumberstrummer likes this.
  18. DiPa

DiPa Silver Supporting Member

12-14 eeeks

Bluesful likes this.
  19. Wyzard

Wyzard Member

Eeek!

DiPa likes this.
  20. Abram4235

Abram4235 Supporting Member

Jeezum, I guess I have nothing to complain about. I waited a total of 18 weeks for TR to design the TC circuit and build mine. That's quick if you ask me. They must be selling a ton right now, which is great bc they deserve the business.