The official Two-Rock thread! Post your amps, favorites, opinions, pics and tips here

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mathiassiv, Mar 20, 2014.

1. plumberstrummer

plumberstrummer Fatal3Records.com Silver Supporting Member

I have already had great success running out of my Fryette Power Load into two separate signals, and buffer one side into stereo effects, running the other signal dry into an ABY, where I had one side into the board and another into another low powered amp.

Marshall '73 JMP > Fryette Power Load>> (two outputs on Fryette, but in this case I used a wye cable)

> Tube buffer > Stereo Chorus into 2 signals to board
    > Tube buffer > ABY (A = dry board signal, B = volume pedal into front end of Bloomfield 6v6 on low power)

This amounts to 3 board signals (1/2 wet and 1/2 dry) and the Bloom was for reverb. I thought it could work as a monitor, and volume pedal in and out for feedback or whatever's clever...

Little over the top, but it was a recording situation. I am assuming I'd cut down to just the OX and wye off for effects, making 2 or 3 signals for this coming rig. I'll road test it first anyway.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 10:30 PM
  2. Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike Supporting Member

In a nut shell, I spent 2 years with a Kemper and ultimately decided that for me, the tube amp is more satisfying. Tweaking hours on end became an obsessive practice. Profiling, buying profiles, FRFR speakers, power amps, in the search for the perfect sound (whatever that was) became an unending lifestyle.

The Kemper is a great tool, a buddy tours with two but has a tech to do all the heavy lifting.

The day I sold the Kemper, the Matrix Power Amp. the Fryette Two-Ninety-Two, the Atomic speaker, the Line 6 L3T, and the rest of the gear acquired in the search for the holy grail I was liberated. Now, with just a couple of amps and the UA Ox I am free to play, perform, and write.

That's just me, I hold no one to this standard and judge none.
    And, I agree, for a worship band, the Kemper, Line 6 Helix, or AxeFX can be perfect.

Long Live Two Rock. :)

-Mike

3. DiPa

DiPa Silver Supporting Member

It’s been a few weeks to months and I see a BD being sold, mine is en route and I read about BD being sold, what? Some of you guys swap amps like changing underwesr
    I have seen a few Two Rock amps listed and I wonder why are folk buying without enough research if thats not the amp for them, or it’s just TGP and one buys a high end amp and after 2-3 months sell it for something else. Selling a top notch tube amp for getting a modeling amp blows my mind completely...

4. DoctorSpock

DoctorSpock Member

:thud

Haha, sounds complicated to me

plumberstrummer likes this.
  5. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I can't keep up!

6. MBrady

MBrady Member

If you had told me I would sell my two rock for a computer a year ago I would have said never. But I think for me it’s all about results and the style of music I’m playing. And now that I have profiles of my Bloomfield, it really doesn’t feel like I’m letting go of it... it really feels like I have it forever now.

Jimi1983, plumberstrummer and DiPa like this.
  7. DiPa

DiPa Silver Supporting Member

You went to the dark side, You will be back :)

GSimon, Wyzard, sfarnell and 3 others like this.
  8. Wyzard

Wyzard Member

So sure I am not.

Consume you it will.

Abram4235 and plumberstrummer like this.
  9. DaveP

DaveP Supporting Member

I went the opposite direction. I had the Kemper power head through a 1x12 cabinet and played the Two Rock Classic Reverb profile. I was hooked. Ended up buying the Bloomfield.
    The Kemper is a great tool. Gives you a great variety of amps.

Wyzard and plumberstrummer like this.
  10. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Supporting Member

My only retort would be the lack of local availability puts me in a spot that I have to buy to try. Closest dealer is 3hours away and that’s just unrealistic with a 60hr work week and a toddler.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 8:50 PM
    Abram4235 and DiPa like this.
  11. DoctorSpock

DoctorSpock Member

How are you liking the Bloomfield having had the Kemper with CLRS profile?

Also, what speaker were you using with the Kemper?

12. MBrady

MBrady Member

I tried something weird as an experiment today.

I ran my Royer and 906 to a mix bus at the FOH console. I then routed that back to the stage as an output, and ran that signal through my delays and reverbs stereo. I came out the Big Sky to 2 DI’s and brought that into 2 more channels at FOH. It worked pretty well, and the delays and reverbs sounded great, just the actual guitar sound suffered. I think I might try this again in a Wet dry Wet format.

Interesting experiment. But just different issues. Not better.

plumberstrummer likes this.
  13. DoctorSpock

DoctorSpock Member

Did you use balanced are unbalanced cabling?

14. MBrady

MBrady Member

I had to solder up a custom XLR to unbalanced T/S 1/4” adapter.

15. DaveP

DaveP Supporting Member

I was using a Freedman 1x12 with a Creamback speaker. I am currently using a 2x12 TR with creambacks.
    The powered Kemper sounded great. The difference is more in the feel and responsiveness of the real amp where the Kemper falls a little short.
    I feel I can dig in more on the Bloomfield and get that interaction you can only get from a real amp.

Wyzard and plumberstrummer like this.
  16. DoctorSpock

DoctorSpock Member

Ah there’s the noise. What’d you with the third wire from the xlr? Or did you split the xlr signal into two TS cables?

17. MBrady

MBrady Member

You can take a balanced connection to unbalanced without creating much noise. You just can’t go the other way around.

18. MBrady

MBrady Member

Yay!!! I just sold it! Kemper and Silver Sky on their way. I’m pretty pumped.

19. Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike Supporting Member

Enjoy the ride.......drop back in when you next TR arrives. :)
    Seriously, make great music sharing the word.

Wyzard, MBrady and plumberstrummer like this.
  20. plumberstrummer

plumberstrummer Fatal3Records.com Silver Supporting Member

+1!!!

@MBrady ~ and thanks for the great clips, btw. Hopefully you still check in here, whether you have one at the moment or not :D

God bless ~ enjoy making music!:rockin