• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

The official Two-Rock thread! Post your amps, favorites, opinions, pics and tips here

gijoe

Glad to hear you are satisfied! What speakers, guitars, and ODs did you go with?
I got it going into a Marshall Vintage Modern 4x12 at the moment. Down the road I want the Two Rock 2x12.
I used my go-to guitar, a Jeff Beck Strat, and I tried three ods. A simple Boss SD-1, a Mad Professor Royal Blue Overdrive and a Mad Professor Twimble.

Voxshall

Revelation for me in the past week or two.

I prefer running my TR with the mids at no more than 9 o'clock. I think there's already enough mids there that the mid control barely needs to be on.

I got that idea from watching an Andy Timmons demo of the Mesa Filmore. He was playing a Strat and had the mids all the way off. Sounded awesome.
Are all two rock tone stacks designed similar? I read somewhere about dumbles that the bass tone control also turned up the mids and the mid control controlled how much of the mids was turned up as the bass control was increased. And the treble was also effected but if you flicked one of the switches it became independent like bright or eq1 can't remember off hand. I started playing my two rock with the bass turned down but noticed Robben Ford and Carlton had there's set quite high. It's fantastic on the bridge pickup of a les paul with the volume up and tone turned down a touch on the guitar, really bright and smooth. I think I'm tending to enjoy more mids with humbucker guitars and less with the strat, but still early days for me I have 4 pages full of great settings I've found and they are all so different from each other.

DoctorSpock

Silver Supporting Member
I got it going into a Marshall Vintage Modern 4x12 at the moment. Down the road I want the Two Rock 2x12.
I used my go-to guitar, a Jeff Beck Strat, and I tried three ods. A simple Boss SD-1, a Mad Professor Royal Blue Overdrive and a Mad Professor Twimble.
I’d love to own a JBeck Strat. Do you keep it set like he does with bridge floating way up?

plumberstrummer

Fatal3Records.com
Are all two rock tone stacks designed similar? I read somewhere about dumbles that the bass tone control also turned up the mids and the mid control controlled how much of the mids was turned up as the bass control was increased. And the treble was also effected but if you flicked one of the switches it became independent like bright or eq1 can't remember off hand. I started playing my two rock with the bass turned down but noticed Robben Ford and Carlton had there's set quite high. It's fantastic on the bridge pickup of a les paul with the volume up and tone turned down a touch on the guitar, really bright and smooth. I think I'm tending to enjoy more mids with humbucker guitars and less with the strat, but still early days for me I have 4 pages full of great settings I've found and they are all so different from each other.
There is a lot of variation across models as far as the tone stacks, and the behaviour of the controls depends on the style of amplifier. Some tone stacks are more in one camp or another, but in general most Two Rock tone controls are very interactive. The Two Rocks that sound best with their tone controls cranked behave more like a Marshall or a Fender. The tone stacks that sound best at noon and get overwhelmed on 10 are more like Dumble tone controls.

The effect you are describing is because of the interactive controls. If you've ever messed with an AC30 or old Tweed Fender with Treble and Bass tone controls only, then you understand what it feels like to have each control influence the other, and "noon" is more like a neutral starting point. The same is true for the Dstyle tone stacks, but there is that additional element of the mid control. The way the bass and mid interact in your description is a result of this same sort of relative influence each knob has on each other. My Bloomfield is more in this "D style" camp; pretty much the rest of the current lineup too.

In the more classic style tone stack, a la Marshall etc, the stack is open at 10, and each control cuts frequencies. As such, the amp has a certain thing when dimed out that it likes, and cut highs and bass and mids to taste. My SSS is more in this camp. I would put the Sensor, the Eric Gales Sig in this camp.

This is the long answer:

Last edited:

1bluzman

Silver Supporting Member
Hey plumberstrummer, I have a sensor TR are you saying it's better to start out with the TMB dimmed out and work in reverse ?

plumberstrummer

Fatal3Records.com
Hey plumberstrummer, I have a sensor TR are you saying it's better to start out with the TMB dimmed out and work in reverse ?
Not at all; dial these with your ears, as all the other factors around the tone stack are equally important - tubes, speakers, etc. But for my ears, I like to dime the stack on more agressive TR amps and pull back. I haven't played one in years, but I remembered the Sensor enjoyed being pushed. However, I'm not 100% sure how that amp is set up internally, so I probably shouldn't have mentioned it definitively. However, the EG has an HRM tone stack on OD, so for sure that one is the perfect example.

Hamiltone

Gold Supporting Member
On the recent CLRS amps there are 2 eq selections. Would the eq selections be a tone stack themselves? And would it be possible to alter either eq selection setting without affecting the other

Thanks
Mike

gijoe

Just got the Two Rock Classic Reverb Signature. At the moment playing it thru a Marshall Vintage Modern (Celestion Greenbacks).
I'm looking at the Two Rock 2x12 or 4x10. Anybody played both?

AndrewC

Socially Distant Member
Gold Supporting Member
Just a heads-up - Humbucker Music have two Bloomfield 50s in stock at the moment, black and grey. :aok

Voxshall

I have a quick question regarding the two rocks with the new transformer. If you physically take two tubes our and put the speaker into a lower impedance will this trick still work and if you do this with the half power switch would that give you quarter of the wattage safely? Maybe a question for two rock.

StratStringSlinger

Silver Supporting Member
I have a quick question regarding the two rocks with the new transformer. If you physically take two tubes our and put the speaker into a lower impedance will this trick still work and if you do this with the half power switch would that give you quarter of the wattage safely? Maybe a question for two rock.
I thought one of the key features of the new transformers is that you can switch it from 100w to 50w mode and sound pretty similar. If so, why pull two tubes?

plumberstrummer

Fatal3Records.com
The switch already pulls the 2 tubes out, but does so in such a way that the disappearance does not interfere with the amp's functionality. It just becomes a fully operational 50 watt amp, rather than a 100 water that isn't "running on all cylinders". The new tranny half power operation is not a power or volume cut, it actually turns the amp into a 50 watter.

However, I've said it before and will again; The real achievement of the new tranny is that it transfers the amplifier's signal to the speakers better - and that goes for all tubes, wattages and power settings across the board. The half power thing is just a bonus of the design.

Last edited:

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
@plumberstrummer do you know much about the older 50W amps that run the half power switch as cathode biased? Do you know if when set to half power/cathode biased they are then set with 0 negative feedback?

Trending Topics