The official Two-Rock thread! Post your amps, favorites, opinions, pics and tips here

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mathiassiv, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Tomo

Tomo Member

Thanks so much for your kind words. There are many great guitar players out there!!! So I try to play less notes, simple, more touch, nuances, rhythm etc.

Basically I wanted ultimate great clean tone amp! So based on my vintage Pro Reverb & part of John Mayer signature amp... Bill told me that he already got this (different from other amps he already built..) tone stack idea? I am very happy about this amp! I am sure that there is some spec about my amp on Two-Rock website?

Tomo

New video with 1967 Gibson ES335
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfldVBkjar0

2. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Tripped out Amps … Lots of variation
    You know… I still have never played through a Two Rock…
    A Dumble yes, but never a Two Rock … lol

3. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

The Custom started life in 2000-2001 as the K&M Custom. I believe it's a sonic copy(1st attempt by Bill) of a Dumble owned by Kimock...Sounds like a late 70s-early 80s low plate ODS. They are exceptional amps.

:wave

4. Wyzard

Wyzard Member

[​IMG]

These are my two - an LTD and a CRS v1, both 50W running with a pair of Philips JAN 6L6 WGB.

I use the CRS for clean or a bit of hair, and the LTD for more liquid high gain stuff.

5. mathiassiv

mathiassiv Member

Two-Rock posted this picture on Facebook yesterday. Bi-Onyx in white tolex:
    [​IMG]

6. FCSNut

FCSNut Member

Would you guys say since the company was purchased that sound quality or feel has changed? I know it's a touchy topic.

7. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

Interesting question.

I definitely feel that since they were bought, their products have been slowly changing to meet a different market to before. They have discontinued the Custom Reverb Signature line (One of the best boutique amplifiers in the world) for the Coral, a cheaper amp designed to be more appealing to a wider market for example.

8. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

I don't think that the quality has changed. What has changed is who's making the decision on what proto that Bill has designed gets produced as a production amp, and which amps are discontinued. Bill and Joe were making those decisions before PBG. Now, PBG makes those decisions. Apparently, they've decided to cut back on some of the bells and whistles so that their amps can be more competitively priced. For extra cash, the bells and whistles are still available but on a custom order basis.

9. mathiassiv

mathiassiv Member

Do you think the previous models will have a slight increase in value through the years? Some of them might not be "special" enough though.

Edit: The pre-PBG era models.

10. jcopello

jcopello Member

Totally, I think the CRS for one will increase in value, as well as classics like the opal, onyx, ruby, jade, etc. the full custom amps will always drive a high price as well.

11. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

I think it depends on the amp. The Mayer Sig may increase in value while the Jade may not. It also depends on whether or not Two Rock continues to create and sell top of the line amps. If so, that will make the older ones less valuable IMO. It also depends on how long TR is in existence since the more amps they produce the less likely that they will become collectors pieces. Not to be morbid, but it also depends on how long Bill Krinard continues to work for Two Rock and how long Bill Krinard lives. Once Bill is gone his creations will be worth a pretty penny IMO.

There's an Onyx for sale in the emporium right now for $2K. That model has obviously not increased in value. It continues to decrease in value because TR continues to pump out better amps.

12. Wyzard

Wyzard Member

It may also depend on who uses one of their models, and re-defines what everyone thinks Two-Rock amps can do sonically. Nobody knows when/if this could happen.

Re-defining what gear can do is one of the oldest stories in music, and it could change the value of a discontinued amp very quickly; but you cannot, by definition, predict any of this.

Incidentally, a fair few of the early pre-PBG Two-Rocks I've ever owned or tried have an amazingly good higher-gain amp hidden inside them. One day, maybe, a proper guitarist will do something special with one of these.

13. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Saw Matt Schofield last night at The Iridium in NYC. He did the whole show with a very modest amp set-up, just a small Studio Pro 35 1x12 combo and he still sounded GREAT! He had the gain at around noon but the Master cranked to 3:00-4:00 and it played perfectly for the room.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

oxtone and Clean-Tone like this.
  14. msoleno

msoleno Supporting Member

That's curious, why wouldn't he use the Schofield sig I wonder? The extra 15 watts gonna blow the doors off the place? Must be a travel arrangement thing...

15. kimock

kimock Member

I'm not super familiar with all the new stuff, but the Crystal, at least the 6V6 version, has got to be one of the best sounding and playing amps to come out of TR yet.
    I've been collaborating with Bill Krinard on all things "amp" since before Two Rock started and the push that happened shortly before the PBG thing up until today has been their best stuff in my humble opinion.
    I'm still a big fan of the Opal from the earlier TR days, and I think the early stuff has held up well based on the limited number of older amps I get my hands on, but from the perspective of someone who's had a front row seat for the R+D, that work continues to pay off and the new/newer amps are better all around than the old/older amps.

Would I trade my octal Opal for one of those new things that doesn't look like an amp?
    No.
    But generally, overall, later is better, and the later the better for me.
    So I'd say quality and feel are both up.

Just for the record, I have no business with TR or PBG.

16. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

was wondering the same thing

17. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

I think it's definitely a travel thing, this was a rescheduled date and it was just him sitting in with the Les Paul Trio so didn't have his band with him.

18. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

thanks todd - was thinking it was too quick for the Sig to have fallen out of favor already! :)

19. FCSNut

FCSNut Member

Thanks for the response everyone. When prices drop and manufacture goes up I'm sure it's a common insecurity when dropping the hard earned dough.

20. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

[​IMG]

A better pic of the rig!

I'm trying to get rid of the CRSV3 though, need the £££ for other GAS!