• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

The official Two-Rock thread! Post your amps, favorites, opinions, pics and tips here

J D Miley

Gold Supporting Member
I get that this is the strategy du jour, but frankly IME this whole mixing and matching amps thing doesn't work very well in practice.

or maybe more specifically, I spend all my time thinking about how one sounds better than the other.

I'd get 2 identical amps and run 1 wet and 1 dry. Brian May style

probably the most disappointing thing that's ever happened to me wrt to gear was when I got my Crystal I couldn't believe how great it sounded. At the time, I was using a Germino Monterey (that I still have) that I also thought sounded aces. I plugged them in together and the result was distinctly less than the sum of its parts. I tried with a few other amps I had, always with the same results.

I'd definitely stick with identical amps, myself, in any sort of stereo setup.
I am not looking to mix match amps. Just might be interested in getting something just as good , but different than my others. In this case, little more power and clean head room and still one able to cover most styles of music .

T92780

Gold Supporting Member
I was running g it through a Matchless 2/12 cab with the Matchless Speakers . All other amps I have player through that cab sounded really good. I had the Gain set at about 11 and master at about noon hitting the front of it with pedals , RC Booster , a compressor for my country leads. etc. Got more girth and punch out of my 1996 Matchless C 30 at the same volume levels .
I am wondering if the new signatures series has improved enough over the regular ones to give them another try.
Turn up to be clearly over 12pm. I believe TR cab are wired different, maybe someone else can confirm, but could be issue, as well, speakers. Don't rule above out.

J D Miley

Gold Supporting Member
Turn up to be clearly over 12pm. I believe TR cab are wired different, maybe someone else can confirm, but could be issue, as well, speakers. Don't rule above out.
Come to think of it, I remember something about that from a while back.

Hamiltone

Gold Supporting Member
T92780, both of my Two-Rock cabinets are wired in reverse (+ & -) of the other cabinets I have. It states that on the inside of the cabinet.

Shades of Blue

Silver Supporting Member
I get that this is the strategy du jour, but frankly IME this whole mixing and matching amps thing doesn't work very well in practice.

or maybe more specifically, I spend all my time thinking about how one sounds better than the other.

probably the most disappointing thing that's ever happened to me wrt to gear was when I got my Crystal I couldn't believe how great it sounded. At the time, I was using a Germino Monterey (that I still have) that I also thought sounded aces. I plugged them in together and the result was distinctly less than the sum of its parts. I tried with a few other amps I had, always with the same results.

That is kind of how I've felt when combining amps. Funny thing, is I tend to hear more of one amp over the other, and have a hard time getting levels right. I do like using multiple amps for different sounds, but never combining them. Just my experience.

StratStringSlinger

Silver Supporting Member

Did you try reversing the phase on the Two-Rock Crystal? They are wired to be reverse phase so maybe it was canceling out frequencies with the other amp?

Sammo

About Studio Signature: SP35 has loop with front panel send ("master") and return level. Studio Signature has only "master" control, right? Does that imply that loop is actually less functional in a new amps and is dumbleator style device needed if loop is used in high level situations?

If anybody is strugling with headroom issues with old Studio Pro like me, I kinda solved it at least for me: I bought DV Mark Raw Dawg (Eric Gales signature) and with it and extension speaker I can take signal from loop send and route it to input of the amp. With tone controls of Raw Dawg I could get them then sound pretty similar, at least good enough for me, and I can get SP to stay completely clean and react optimally with drive pedals. And I can get it louder with RD, which does not apparently have no break up at all.

Downside is that you lose a little signal/output from Two Rock but I could compensate it with return level control, no problem. And no phase issues luckily. Next step up would be Radial Cab-Link that has variable line level output availabe between speaker and power amp, and that could be even better.

I forgot to test if SP's reverb is before or after loop -- I use Ventris in pedalboard.

Yeah, it's not Traditional Clean 100W or SSS 150W but it works for now.

Shades of Blue

Silver Supporting Member
About Studio Signature: SP35 has loop with front panel send ("master") and return level. Studio Signature has only "master" control, right? Does that imply that loop is actually less functional in a new amps and is dumbleator style device needed if loop is used in high level situations?
I owned a Studio Pro 22, and I honestly didn't really understand how to use the Master Volume on the back panel. I usually used it as an overall Master and got the amp set up like I wanted and then used the volume on the back as the main volume control. I also didn't really understand pickup loading and I felt like I was always unsure what setting it should be on. I am happy that the Studio Signature did away with both of those controls. I'd rather treat it like any other amp quite honestly.

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
TS1 Question: I'm considering this amp on my current D-Tone quest. Someone told me that Robben Ford had input in the development of this one and it's voiced (supposedly) like his #102. Robben eludes to this, but I'm told doesn't confirm, as HAD tends to rejecting of this type of thing. Does the TS1 nail that Robben Ford Blue Line type tone?

DoctorSpock

Silver Supporting Member
TS1 Question: I'm considering this amp on my current D-Tone quest. Someone told me that Robben Ford had input in the development of this one and it's voiced (supposedly) like his #102. Robben eludes to this, but I'm told doesn't confirm, as HAD tends to rejecting of this type of thing. Does the TS1 nail that Robben Ford Blue Line type tone?
Only ever played a TS1 but never a Dumble. I’d say even if you played through Robben Fords amp itself it wouldn’t sound like him and it’d still sound like you. That being said, a TS1 is a fantastic ODS circuit and would certainly put you real close, which is as much as can be hoped for

JonathanPierceBand

Silver Supporting Member
Only ever played a TS1 but never a Dumble. I’d say even if you played through Robben Fords amp itself it wouldn’t sound like him and it’d still sound like you. That being said, a TS1 is a fantastic ODS circuit and would certainly put you real close, which is as much as can be hoped for
I played thru my second Dumble today, see link, and this one is officially the best lookin amp ever made in my book. I’ve played a TS1, it’ll be perfect, new or K&M, you can’t go wrong.

https://www.instagram.com/jonathanp...tm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=15c9ct7vb7upv

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
This is Robben's rig that was at Two Rock when Eric Gales and I were there picking up our EG models. I snapped this picture because I'm a Robben fan. This was May 2010.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
This is Robben's rig that was at Two Rock when Eric Gales and I were there picking up our EG models. I snapped this picture because I'm a Robben fan. This was May 2010.
He must have only used that rig for a very small number of gigs.

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
Yeah, I've never seen him using a Two Rock, but I know he did. I've seen him use the Dumbles, Super Reverbs and a Bludo once. My favorite tone was a show up at Lake Tahoe where he used a Super Reverb, Zendrive and an old goldtop.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, I've never seen him using a Two Rock, but I know he did. I've seen him use the Dumbles, Super Reverbs and a Bludo once. My favorite tone was a show up at Lake Tahoe where he used a Super Reverb, Zendrive and an old goldtop.
And Louis Electric.

Love the tone in those clips.

Yeah I follow him and am surprised to hear Two Rock, never knew. Must have been a small period, don’t know.
IIRC it was for a couple of gigs in 2010-ish.

Trending Topics