The official Two-Rock thread! Post your amps, favorites, opinions, pics and tips here

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mathiassiv, Mar 20, 2014.

1. justin

justin Gold Supporting Member

One thing I found out is don't be afraid to turn these amps up. I had them all straight up noon on the master volumes. Sounds so big. It's not that loud. Not like my plexi or Diezel. Just big and punchy. Really feels out the tone and very expressive. At least get the masters above 9 o'clock. The TC sounds the best below that. The TC seems to sound great from the get go on the volume knob. Still better loud though.

Wyzard and Abram4235 like this.
  2. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Chuck up some clips.

Would be interesting to hear the differences.

3. justin

Ive run these amps through my OX but it doesn't capture it. Sounds flat and lifeless. It seems like IRs work better for me on higher gain sounds. Ive been thinking about going the real mic route but that's a whole other rabbit hole. A more expensive one. I have a universal audio twin quad interface and logic. I've been thinking about that new Royer R10. I guess I'd need a good mic pre too.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  4. Bluesful

FWIW, I find my Two Rock to be the hardest amp to record for some reason.

Mick has also said something similar on That Pedal Show.

5. guy74585

guy74585 Member

Peach guitars just posted this killer vid of the Studio Signature. You really get to hear a range of the sounds that this lil' guy can produce.

6. justin

His Bloomfield demos are great too. Very representative of the tones in that amp with a strat. Low gain settings on the drive side.

The Austin guitar house vids are very representative too.

This one really nails the traditional clean tones.

Cgkindler likes this.
  7. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Received my studio sig at 4pm and was on a gig at 5. No time to explore just plug and play and it sounded great. Have an outdoor gig tomorrow Will bring a backup but doubt I will need it. Amp is great and a big thanks to Cliff at Destroy All Guitars!!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  8. Jlopicco

Jlopicco Member

As soon as I get a real comparison of the 100 vs 150W I'm ordering one.. Too nervous to just take a leap of faith. I was 100% certain on the 100w but after reading others on this forum the 150w sounds better and better, but again its all on speculation. I NEED MORE INFORMATION! I'm so excited and anxious about this amp.. Especially after Eli's recent instagram post where the Silver Sterling Signature is in a room with what appears to be every SSS type amp that Two Rock has made. I've stared at that picture so long that my wife thinks I have a problem.. and I do!

9. AintNoEddie

AintNoEddie Silver Supporting Member

Interesting that you talk Bloomfield & TS1. I have a TS1 (2010) for a couple of months now, and just recently bought a Bloomfield. What you mention for the drive side is also valid to the clean side I'd say. I frequently read that the TS1 would be an awfully bright amp, but to me that's not the case. The Bloomfield is definitely brighter, and even when dialled in to match the TS1 the note/string separation is more clear.

I did not tweak the Bloomfield re. tubes, like I did with the TS1, but I doubt it would change the main characteristics. I have to say I prefer the thicker TS1 tone. I have also no problems running it at home studio vol.

As a sidenote: just after the Bloomfield I got me 2 JBL D120F Alnicos. The clean sound is insanely good. Really addictive. Still have to tweak the OD sound, it's a bit raspy now. But forgetabout OD, with that clean sound you are not tempted to push the OD button!

Voxshall, BDUNN and justin like this.
  10. cocheese

cocheese Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for taking the time to write such an in-depth review of these amps. For those of us on the fence about which TR to buy, this helps a lot.

I've owned 2 Two Rocks, one of the early Emerald Pro and an early Custom Reverb Signature. The EP has that signing lead tone that was uber touch-sensitive. The CRS had THE most amazing clean tones I have ever experienced, very three dimensional, and didn't even need any effects at all, just a little verb. Loved both amps and Don't know why I even sold the CRS?!

I was wondering if you could tell me how the TC and the BD do with fuzz pedals. I know some amps can do well with drive pedals, but then fuzzes can get raspy sounding. Which amp would you say would lend itself to fuzzes in a more musical way?

Honestly, the way you write the review of the TC and BD, it sounds like I need one of each in a wet/dry type setup!!!

11. justin

I'm not into fuzz pedals myself. However I believe Doyle Bramhall is using both a TC and CLRS. The TC should be great with anything. The BD should be good too. You have a lot of shaping ability with all three to help mesh with pedals.

12. Abram4235

Abram4235 Supporting Member

I know you didnt ask me, but I recently got a fuzz factory and its seriously immense sounding with the TC 100w. I'm super impressed with that pairing.

Also takes a BC109C amazingly well.

Wyzard and T92780 like this.
  13. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

I have a very doyle setup (CLRS and TC) and run several fuzz through them - huge sounding!

Wyzard, Abram4235 and T92780 like this.
  14. EdmundGTP

EdmundGTP Supporting Member

Joey Landreth plays with fuzz regularly through a BD. There's a bit of it at the end of this demo video.

IIRC some more in this clinic as well.

Cgkindler likes this.
  15. cocheese

cocheese Silver Supporting Member

Thanks everyone. Good points all around. I love DB2 and Joey's tones and playing, and they both use fuzzes into these amps. All good...now I just have to pick one!

16. Bluesful

Two Rock + Fuzz at 'bedroom' volume.

17. AintNoEddie

AintNoEddie Silver Supporting Member

When the Silver Sterlings hit the market, it would be super interesting to hear/read a comparison on the SS vs. Sterling Sig. vs. Custom Clean!

Does anyone know if they are based on the same # SSS? From what I found on Ampgarage, the Sterling Sig and CC are both based on the same.

18. Hogwallop

Hogwallop Member

I thought the Sterling Sig was based on SSS #004 and I read somewhere that the new Silver Sterling is basically TR's approach to the SSS-type amplifier in general using elements from the different SSS'es they had their hands on, to turn it into the "ultimate Two Rock SSS". I think they even had access to SSS #002 at some point when they made the Oak Cliff Special for John Mayer but I might be wrong.

AintNoEddie and TheWayfarer84 like this.
  19. zigwigwig

zigwigwig Member

New amp day!

Haven't spent much time with it, and won't for another week or so :/ Though it sounds exactly as I would have hoped after a quick test with most knobs straight up

One thing, and I have never owned an amp with tube driven spring reverb, but it's quite noisy as I turn the reverb level up. I've read elsewhere that it's not uncommon, but seems a bit too noisy. Haven't yet unplugged and replugged tubes, etc.

Skip Reid, glogulus, Voxshall and 4 others like this.
  20. Jlopicco

Jlopicco Member

My classic reverb signature’s reverb tank was damaged during shipping. I messaged two rock on their contact page and Eli called me to ask about it. I sent him some videos if the noise and he determined it was a bad reverb tank and sent a new one to me. Quick to swap and immediately fixed the problem and sounded great!

Jimi1983 and zigwigwig like this.