The official Two-Rock thread! Post your amps, favorites, opinions, pics and tips here

AintNoEddie

Supporting Member

Thanks everyone for the ideas! I'm new to posting here as well as Instagram (just signed up to watch the TR live feed they did), but I think I got the link to these videos in here correctly, let me know if it doesnt work.

I just took these with my phone so certainly nothing professional. Second video (swipe right) is positioned closer to the amp and I think better represents the crackling I'm hearing. The static and distortion is not the phone mic clipping, that's coming out of the speakers. Hopefully it translates through the post. Certainly not meant to be representative of any attempt at real playing or the way the amp sounds when it's not pushed, just playing all strings open seems to show off the static and fuzz I'm hearing the best. These are not even with the bypass switched on, just dimed FET, gain, EQ2, bright and mid. Master is barely up, 7 or 8 o clock. Even with the FET backed up to about 2 or 3 o clock it still sounds fizzy. Guitar is a '61 wildwood 10 strat, so nothing crazy in terms of pickup output.
Ok I don't own a SSS, but there must be something faulty going on. I'd send the link/clip to TR or talk with the dealer.

Preamp dimed with Master super low is generally no good idea and can sound unpleasant, but not like this...

@DoctorSpock thanks, I was not aware of this trim pot. I only know FET gain, OD, Bias trim in the classic layouts. I'll have a look for the bypass trim!

@Wyzard - yeah, strange. Maybe it will work better if I find & tweak the above mentioned bypass trim.

NateFreezy

Hi all - interested in purchasing my first Two Rock and looking for some advice. I’m looking at the Bloomfield and wondering what people would recommend between the 100/50 watt and 40/20 watt versions.

This will be primarily used in my home studio. I have a Power Station to attenuate volume if needed and UA Ox for recording. I generally prefer not to use an attenuator though if the master volume is good.

I know the bigger amp will have more clean headroom, but still not sure which would be the better option. Any opinions appreciated!

DoctorSpock

Supporting Member
Hi all - interested in purchasing my first Two Rock and looking for some advice. I’m looking at the Bloomfield and wondering what people would recommend between the 100/50 watt and 40/20 watt versions.

This will be primarily used in my home studio. I have a Power Station to attenuate volume if needed and UA Ox for recording. I generally prefer not to use an attenuator though if the master volume is good.

I know the bigger amp will have more clean headroom, but still not sure which would be the better option. Any opinions appreciated!
No such thing as better!

gulliver

Supporting Member

That's the wonderful thing about (most) Two Rock amps, they get their goods from the preamp section and the master volume "really" works. No need for attenuation, but might be worth while to inquire into each model before buying ... my guess is that the Bloomfield does not benefit from an attenuator.

It has been said to buy the highest watt version that you can afford ... but I think that came from Two Rock. I usually shoot for 2x 6L6 when I buy amps (usually 50 watts). I think 4x 6L6 is just over-kill (usually 100 watts) and lower power x2 (6V6, EL84) are usually for specific amp/tone types (Vox, Princeton, etc...). I swap tubes all the time, within my THD Univalve and Bivalve amps. I prefer 6L6 tubes for my (mostly neck pickup) playing.

... I'm certain many disagree, just my approach.

AintNoEddie

Supporting Member
That's the wonderful thing about (most) Two Rock amps, they get their goods from the preamp section and the master volume "really" works. No need for attenuation, but might be worth while to inquire into each model before buying ... my guess is that the Bloomfield does not benefit from an attenuator.
Absolutely. In my experience, I always preferred the TR with low MV to a high MV with attenuation. This applies to all models I tried (SP35, TS1 100W, BD 100W, CRS 50W), with two attenuators (TAD Silencer, SPL Reducer).

Skip Reid

Studio Signature owners...are most of you buying the combo or head+cab? I am wondering if any
have tested both against each other and found any noticeable differences in tone.

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
Supporting Member
Yes, JB had them made to be backups for his Dumbles. He just wanted to have the "same amp" to switch out in case one of the ODS combos freak out (happens) and they are used for that and international gigs. According to Joe they are within +/- 5% of his favorite ODS, as requested.

Funny story; when Bill built them he used the same NOS parts Dumble did, but because Joe has his amps on for 10-12 hours per show NOS parts can squeal, so he had Two Rock switch out all the NOS tubes and such for new stuff (JJs of all things). I got to play it briefly when it was in for that mod with @DoctorSpock! :D
Bill did my TS1 w/ all the Dumble parts and it was hilarious inside. I can't remember the material that the boards were made out of, but it's that fake wood-ish grain looking stuff. Formica? The goop, all the stuff, it was sweet. Krinard sure as hell knows how to build Dumble styled amps.

off2kamp

@Skip Reid I got the head and have played both. I have a bigger cab for the head than the combo. I think I get more bass and a bigger sound with my own cab and prefer it over the combo. The reverb adds a lot more noise in the head though because the reverb tank is like an inch from the transformer.

Skip Reid

@Skip Reid I got the head and have played both. I have a bigger cab for the head than the combo. I think I get more bass and a bigger sound with my own cab and prefer it over the combo. The reverb adds a lot more noise in the head though because the reverb tank is like an inch from the transformer.
Thanks for the response. There seems to always be a tradeoff on everything. I've read where some have moved the reverb tank into the speaker cabinet. The clips sound good as is. I think I want the deeper tone from the cabinet. That sound is what I associate with a Two Rock, personally.

AintNoEddie

Supporting Member
Thanks for the response. There seems to always be a tradeoff on everything. I've read where some have moved the reverb tank into the speaker cabinet. The clips sound good as is. I think I want the deeper tone from the cabinet. That sound is what I associate with a Two Rock, personally.
I think if you don't necessarily need the most compact solution, you'd be always better off with head + cab. More flexible, less vibrations for the tubes, most likely easier to sell in case you want to move it one day.

Skip Reid

Thanks for the information.

What are the current wait times you guys are experiencing on your Studio Signatures?

Skip Reid

@Skip Reid I think about 4 months for wait time. I would just call a dealer. It is SUCH an incredible amp. I moved my reverb tank from the head to the cabinet. Zero noise now.
Yes I might as well go ahead and get in line too. I assume it makes no difference which color tolex I would want, regarding the wait. I think standard black with silver anyway is what I would go with. Although I have inquired about a golden suede and diamond grill option. Waiting to hear if that is a possibility. And to think I was so close to buying the little Marshall studio vintage at the beginning of the year. I would much rather have this. I think it's going to be a home run for Two Rock. I am looking forward to it. I've enjoyed reading this thread and getting to know more about Two Rock. There is lots of great information here. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Trending Topics