The official Two-Rock thread! Post your amps, favorites, opinions, pics and tips here

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mathiassiv, Mar 20, 2014.

1. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

My new iPhone that I got this year, I know I will jump on the next new introduction when it gets out soon, just an example.,,.musical gear can be so much fun too

2. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Bring back the Akoya.

Abram4235 and Joe Perry like this.
  3. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Gold Supporting Member

I 2nd that! Still kicking myself for not snagging a 4x10 combo (not LTD)!

Bluesful likes this.
  4. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

They're a micro/boutique size manufacturing company like me, not Apple, etc. Much of 2019 offerings didn't hit retailers until May and some models, just hitting floors/shipping recently. It's a different beast IMO.

This is also a line with average cost of $3-4k, so how many will find need to add, buy or flip each year = small %. For those, they can offer custom builds to wet your appetite.

This is the best they may have ever been, breathe, let it resonate. They can offer custom builds at a hefty price to satisfy the serious players with big $.

I created an award winning product and only added 2 updates, which is a stretch over 13-years and sales grew each year and more awards, praise and consumer loyalty followed.

Again, I hear ya, but they can certainly offer custom builds with elongated build times at a hefty price. Leave this current lineup alone, they, IMO have changed their assortment too much in prior years. Stick behind your designs, don't bastardize them.

5. T92780

I'm sure if you're willing to pay and wait, they'll build it for you.

6. T92780

Let me ask you, why didn't you buy one, as well, when retailers and used market couldn't give them away? Why now?

7. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Because I didn't have the $$$ and I don't have the $$$ now.

Just think it would be cool to see it back.

T92780 and PierreL like this.
  8. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

The trajectory and run rate TR has been on is amazing awesome, new products and innovation like no other, my assessment is purely based on that record performance. I agree with you on many fronts. Agreed that they are a small business, but they have proven beyond most small companies. Two years for a totally new product is what I was thinking realistically about. One year would be aggressive, but stellar. Yes market for the high end buyers has been a huge attraction at TR. They have been successful. I love Bludotone, but he is a one man company, and he chooses to keep it that way. Read a few months ago where Eli discussed TR growth present and future. I don’t think and hope they are not saturated but have further room to grow and offer. I really get what you are saying. It’s tough business. I believe there is a lot more to come if they choose to continue and if the market is strong or them.
    You have good points and no major disagreement.

T92780 likes this.
  9. T92780

It wasn't a good seller then, leave it custom builds, or wait to buy used.

10. Samgreen

Samgreen Member

Got a new topaz, and having trouble dialing in a nice clean. I definitely need a new cab/speaker, but in the meantime, any tips on dialing in these amps would be appreciated!

11. Wyzard

Wyzard Member

There was a review of it back in the day that mentioned it as having a degree of almost Hiwatt-like punch.

Something along those lines is what I've been up to for the last couple of weeks, running a DR103 with the little Gain Master as the front end. I'd love the chance to actually try an Akoya out, as I wasn't looking to buy anything when it came out originally.

dhouse335 and Bluesful like this.
  12. Jamie_Mitchell

Jamie_Mitchell Member

ha! that sounds about right. my situation has changed a bit now, but yeah, that's how i lived for 10 years or so. paid $300 for a room in a total shithole of a house, clothes and shoes throw away by girlfriends because they were falling apart and i refused to spend the money to replace them. $2K guitar, amp etc. that sorta thing.

DoctorSpock likes this.
  13. JonathanPierceBand

JonathanPierceBand Supporting Member

Outside the studio yesterday, I found this baby, guess I gotta take it in and adopt it :D

Tonal Comfort, T92780 and music77 like this.
  14. dhouse335

dhouse335 Gold Supporting Member

I own an Akoya LE 410. Once upon a time owned a DR504 Hiwatt. Both are very big and have an enormous fundamental... Hiwatt was faster and more stiff. Akoya is tube rectified and gives quite a bit more... so big, more like a Low Powered Twin. I imagine the LP Twin, Akoya, and Hiwatts all have similarly massive amounts of iron in the transformer sections.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Wyzard, DoctorSpock and Voxshall like this.
  15. JonathanPierceBand

FYI, TR updated the 212 cab to have wide sides instead of a wide top and bottom. I just got mine today but here’s a pic of the difference..

16. JonathanPierceBand

Here’s a double stack... I think the new speaker cab on top gives the optical illusion that the cab is taller but they are the same dimensions.

17. JonathanPierceBand

Why not a side stack lol?

‘62Strat likes this.
  18. T92780

Both cabs have reverse specs via too, side and bottom panel thickness.

dhouse335 likes this.
  19. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Silver Supporting Member

Yep, the thicker sides draw the eyes up. Same thing happens when you wear a vertically striped shirt.

I'm in no position to be frivolously spending monies on new cabs - but rehousing my amp in the black/diamond and springing for a matching cab s so damn tempting. Although, the silver chassis is what really sets off that look.

August is my slow month at work. May be time for that Midwood road trip. I need to hear one of the SSS amps in person. For whatever reason, it just seems like a very difficult amp to capture and express online. Especially via youtube compression. The demos are good - but I haven't heard the "knockout" yet.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    AintNoEddie and DoctorSpock like this.
  20. midman123

midman123 Member

Best demo I heard of it and what made me pull the trigger on mine almost immediately was the Instagram Live video they did some weeks ago. Wish that was still available somewhere. Sounded like he was playing a freaking grand piano. Amazing

AintNoEddie, Jlopicco and BradleyCB like this.