The official Two-Rock thread! Post your amps, favorites, opinions, pics and tips here

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mathiassiv, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Neither are attenuating to be technical.

Abram4235 and Voxshall like this.
  2. plumberstrummer

plumberstrummer Fatal3Records.com Supporting Member

The fryette has a little more mojo, but I find the Waza easier to get a quiet tone and seems a little cleaner (and has on board reverb and such, so that is nice when I am using Marshalls at night...)

Voxshall likes this.
  3. Bluesful

'Tubes'.

;)

j.s.tonehound likes this.
  4. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

5. Playloudd308

Playloudd308 Supporting Member

These are indeed great amps. Perfect grab and go for what I am looking for tone and feel wise.

Are you digging one preamp setting over another? The scofield setting is definitely my favorite.

Voxshall likes this.
  6. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

I’m seriously considering one of these. How’s the reverb on it? I’ve heard maybe not as good as previous? Beyond that though, everything I hear is positive and I love the different voicing options. The demos just sound amazing.

7. T92780

I mostly use the TR setting, but if plugged straight in, I use MS setting at times, but the Fender mode is also useful:).

Playloudd308 likes this.
  8. T92780

I dig a subtle reverb. If looking for heavy, or surf like reverb, maybe not your liking.

slide13 likes this.
  9. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

Subtle works for me as long as it sounds good, especially because I tend to leave a little spring reverb on all the time. Then when I need more I’ll kick on a pedal.

Ugh...want one so bad. Hard to find at the moment and I’m still trying to decide between combo and had/cab. But I think I’ll probably be pulling the trigger on one this year.

Wyzard, plumberstrummer and T92780 like this.
  10. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

So I happened to walk into AGH the other day when Ray was cutting a video for the SSS and had it cranked...with an S type guitar, and I thought my guts were going to blow out of my back. Holy moly. I’m pretty sure I felt my balls retreat into my throat out of pure fear of being demolished.

150 watts :eeks

11. Bluesful

I can't imagine a Two Rock reverb sounding bad.

slide13 and Playloudd308 like this.
  12. Playloudd308

Playloudd308 Supporting Member

The voicing switch is definitely useful and gives you just enough different feel and flavor to make you think and play differently with each, while still retaining enough of the amp to make you still feel at home.

I am actually not a huge FX guy and play dry most of the time. The reverb on some amps (for me at least) do feel particularly good or bad enough to stand out. This one I have no issues with and doesn’t feel lacking in any way.

I agree all 3 have their uses and I do play differently with each. The MS just feels so good when you dig in, with the right amount of depth/sag/tightness etc for my playing. The Two Rock setting is always going to sound good, and the fender position does feel like a nice vintage amp with some modern refinements.

T92780 and slide13 like this.
  13. Bluesful

Harden up.

plumberstrummer likes this.
  14. rollyfoster

Uhhhh not my kind of amp

15. DoctorSpock

DoctorSpock Supporting Member

Oh you were saying that all in a bad way?

16. rollyfoster

Not at all. It sounded great for what Ray was playing and definitely made an impression. It’s just not the kind of amp I’d pick or “harden up” about:eek:

No demo is going to convey how absolutely MASSIVE it is when it’s cooking. Gotta get in the room with one. Or even in the other room like I was when I retreated from the onslaught.

17. Abram4235

Abram4235 Supporting Member

This is the best review I've seen so far.

18. Dave Kalz

Dave Kalz Member

Has anyone played or purchased a SSS? If so, does the amp have any overdrive at all? I currently own a J-2 that I just love, but even at 40 watts with the 6L6 tubes, it runs out of gas in bigger rooms. I love both the cleans and the overdrive on it - although I’ve found I can come fairly close to recreating the overdrive channel by running a fulltone full drive in front of it on the clean channel. That built in over drive is gorgeous though. But I think I need a 100 watt head for some of the bigger rooms I play. So I’m torn between the SSS or the Bloomfield, or even an old 100 watt Emerald pro. Any suggestions? And for those who have played the SSS, the 100 watt or the 150? Bare in mind, I want to get it to break up point - or at least to the edge of it. The rooms I play vary from small 300 seaters (which the J-2 can cover) up to 3000 seaters, plus some small amphitheaters (3000-5000 seaters) and parks in the summer months. Unfortunately, where I live (St Louis, MO) there are no Two Rock dealers.
    Thanks!

19. bigfoamfinger

bigfoamfinger Supporting Member

20. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

I have only played the 150 which is tremendous. I have heard the 100 sounds really good but the people who have played both I know opted for the 150. It does not have to be cranked up to sound great.

I have the 150. I threw a quad of old NOS GEs in there. The amp is incredible . Breakup-yes you can get some but not a lot.Tone for days though. I have had so many great amps but after six gigs with this and a pedal board it is game over. I have never been this happy. Over the last 10 years I built up a huge credit card debt problem as well as having all amps I want to buy and try. Now I am happy to see them go. I can get out of debt. This is better than I could have dreamed of.A joy to play at any volume level. A lot of what this is should be attributed to Dumble but Some of what it is and what makes it better is all Bill Krinard.

Big, Heavy, Expensive and sounds like a million bucks. I have spent a fair amount of time with two SSS Dumbles. This is better. Still just an amp and is what you make it but my gas stopped here.

Still love my tweaked little Ecstasy 25 and will never sell that one but this 150 SSS is the one that allows me to sell every other amp with no regrets.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019