The official Two-Rock thread! Post your amps, favorites, opinions, pics and tips here

plumberstrummer

Fatal3Records.com
I have the Bloomfield 40/20 - I use a Power Station or Waza at night, but I find the amp is plenty quiet for the apartment as long as the sun is up (and it sounds slightly better direct). Love love love it, and use it regularly over most of my other low watt amps.

Tlon

Regarding the need for attenuation, it depends on your style of music and settings in your rig, but if you have the amp running in the 20 W setting, you should be able to get a pretty driven tone from both the gain stages and the power section at a "reasonable" volume - not talkover quiet, but not shaking your walls either. Even with the master volume turned down lower, the Two Rocks I have still sound excellent.

If you do go the route of attentuation, I've tried both the OX and the Power Station. I couldn't bond with the OX. I might be way off on this, but to me I lost a bit of the feel and dynamics on my Classic Reverb Signature when I ran it through the OX. I still own the Power Station, but it is collecting dust at the moment. However, when I did have it connected to my amps, the tone did sound pretty similar to the unaffected tone. And I did prefer the Power Station's full level adjustment compared to the OX's 5 step attenuation knob.
Thanks! This is very helpful!

I have the Bloomfield 40/20 - I use a Power Station or Waza at night, but I find the amp is plenty quiet for the apartment as long as the sun is up (and it sounds slightly better direct). Love love love it, and use it regularly over most of my other low watt amps.
Awesome! Thank you!

I've yet to hear anyone prefer the OX's attenuation over the Power Station's.

The OX seems more like a direct recording tool than an attenuator.
This is good to know. I am just starting to look into attenuators. Its seemed like the Ox was the biggest thing since sliced bread, so this is helpful since I really don't need the recording line. Thanks!

AintNoEddie

Supporting Member
+1 the amp should be fine by itself. I haven't got experience with either the PS or the OX, however I had several highly regarded passive attenuators. Even with 100/50W amps I preferred the MV low vs. attenuated, wide open amp. Of course if you dig the slightly fuzzy power stage distortion, there is no way around an attenuator. But this is not the sound most people associate with these kind of amps.

blueslover

Supporting Member
So, just got off the phone with Eli from Two Rock. I didn’t even realize it was so late but he chatted with me for 20 mins. Talk about dedication to ones craft. I recently bought a TC and matching cab and had some questions about customizing it. He took the time to explain my questions even though I’m no where near his knowledge base. He broke down the speaker down to what type of magnets they use. It’s clear they love what they do, and care about their customers. I’m so happy about supporting this company, by far the best gear company I’ve ever dealt with. I’m planning on buying a sterling down the road and or a studio signature.

He explained some of the new build techniques and advancements. I’m a skeptic at heart and it’s clear that they have not cut any corners when it comes to building these amps. The new transformer and the advantages it has. I’m so blown away by my TC and I’ve never sounded better.

Funny story, my GF who couldn’t tell the difference between my marantz receiver and audiophile home theater speakers and my Yamaha soundbar gets annoyed when I plug my fender amp in and tells me to play the two rock because it sounds so much better. The hiss of the fender compared to the silence of the two rock is probably her favorite feature haha.

I know they seem expensive relative to other options, but I can say in my experience it has been worth every penny. Do yourself a favor if you don’t own one and start saving up

rockeye

Supporting Member
NEED HELP.

My Custom Reverb Sig. v3 (50 watt dual rectified) doesn’t have enough headroom anymore for my gigs. I have a 1x12 and a 2x12, both with G12-65s. I feel like the amp doesn’t have that fat, clean, lightly compressed tone. It has a very narrow sweet spot for volume and tone. I’m tempted to sell it and get a marshall 2245 jtm45 reissue.

Any advice?

rockeye

Supporting Member
Really???

Even with the loop bypassed?
You mean flipping the "bypass" switch up? No I hate that switch. It just boosts all the harsh frequencies. I never use it. I even had both dials on the back of the amp at 3 o'clock. At a certain point, the bass and highs become too much and that sweet spot is gone.

I'm going to try my backup pair of power tubes and then try a pair of 7581a's I have to see if that doesn't help.

Truth be told, I've never really liked the Two Rock when playing in a band with other people. I just don't hear it as something that can blend well with other and make music. It has always sounded out of place.

Bluesful

Supporting Member
You mean flipping the "bypass" switch up?
No.

I'm referring to the effects loop bypass (which is a pull pot) on the back of the amp.

But it sounds like you actually don't really even like the amp at all.

Last edited:

rockeye

Supporting Member
No.

I'm referring to the effects loop bypass (which is a pull pot) on the back of the amp.

But it sounds like you actually don't really even like them amp at all.
I did not do that. If I pull that pot out at loud band volumes, it accentuates harsh high frequencies. I don't mind using that with the amp at low volumes for more perceived treble.

Wyzard

Supporting Member
Everyone makes different gear choices - that's part of what differentiates us as players I guess.

In the past, I admit, I've used one of my Boogies rather than the old CRS V1 in situations where they've been more appropriate to those particular environments. As Kimock once said: more "shoot-from-the-hip" sort of thing.

Nonetheless, I've always preferred musical settings where the Two Rock has been the weapon of choice. Not to mention, volume has never been an issue in these cases, for which I'm doubly grateful: I like what's left of my hearing:)

plumberstrummer

Fatal3Records.com
NEED HELP.

My Custom Reverb Sig. v3 (50 watt dual rectified) doesn’t have enough headroom anymore for my gigs. I have a 1x12 and a 2x12, both with G12-65s. I feel like the amp doesn’t have that fat, clean, lightly compressed tone. It has a very narrow sweet spot for volume and tone. I’m tempted to sell it and get a marshall 2245 jtm45 reissue.

Any advice?
Are your tubes dying? It may be time to swap them out if you haven't yet. I'd also revisit that pot on the back, it may have been bumped. Either way, turning it up higher may help and rolling off your highs elsewhere if need be (tone pot, presence, guitar pots or pedals even...)

That said, jtm 45 is great, but I doubt it would have the headroom you describe.

Last edited:

AintNoEddie

Supporting Member

Huge thanks to Eli and Two-Rock for the new matching cab for the SSS. Incredible customer service and commitment to their craft. The best!
Looks great! The 'regular' sized shells look so tiny compared to the SSS!
How's the sound of the CR vs. SSS? The CR seems to be a very early one, right?

Dave Kalz

Advice on Two Rock and Bludotone
So I finally got to CME, and they had a SSS 100 watt I was able to try. Great amp and I def would like to get one at some point, but as a main gigging rig, it wasn’t for me.
I’m searching for more of a big iron version of my J-2 (which I believe was the lower powered 10th anniversary) which has a great clean but also an outstanding overdrive.
So now I see that TR is remaking the Custom Reverb Sig V3 with Tube rectifier and of all places, Guitar Center seems to have a couple in stock. My question is, has anyone played these? I read an article where Steve Kimock mentioned that the tube rectified CRS V3 outdid the solid state version in every way.
At the same time, I’ve seen some Bludotone 100 watt ODS amps come up for sale lately.
My question is has anyone played either the TR CRS tube rectified amps or the Bludotone ODS (70’s or High Plate Skyline voicing) and if so, can you describe their tone?
Ideally I like being able to capture those John Mayer / Larry Carlton tones but also be able to approach Duane Allman territory (which I seem to accomplish with my J-2 but it hits a wall real quick and runs out of power/headroom/volume on gigs).