The official Two-Rock thread! Post your amps, favorites, opinions, pics and tips here

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mathiassiv, Mar 20, 2014.

1. lpr9

lpr9 Member

Nothing in the loop. I'll try it!

2. Playloudd308

Playloudd308 Supporting Member

The TC is definitely an amazing amp. I haven’t spent more than about 30 minutes from one but Eli and the guys know how to make a hell of an amp.

My BFD was a 50 watt with the switchable bias. The 40/20 or the 100 watt do not have this feature.

In the “low” position you get a more explosive/quicker responding amp. Takes a bit of the bounce out and adds some crystal lattice magic. It’s a bit tighter in this setting but blooms into the super controllable harmonic feedback really really beautifully. Personally I like the feel of this with a pushed clean and the tone stack bypass on. It really is something amazing and reacts better than any of the Dumble clones I have played. The only one that came close was the clean side of my Quinn with PAB engaged. Still has enough sag to make you confident and not feel like you are walking a tightrope.

The “high” setting with the bias switch gives it some more depth and sag. The beautiful bloom is still there and sounds Just a little more warm. This is where the cleans really shine if you want that John Mayer sound. Think bold as love. Each note feels like it’s wrapped in velvet. It gets really close to the depth and piano boldness of the SSS.

For me, the cleans and overdrive are so versatile on the BFD 50 watt, it is the obvious choice and probably the best amp I have ever played. Try out the 50 watt before giving up. That bias switch is amazing and changes the feel, depth, sag and response ever so slightly. It is definitely noticeable when you are playing.

Abram4235 and DoctorSpock like this.
  3. max99185

max99185 Member

I too have the 50 Watt version. It's an amazing amp and I didn't want my "review/comparison" to sound negative at all.

It's just that the Akoya suits my needs / the venues I play at better than the BFD and I prefer the "rawness" of the Akoya. It's like the Akoya is a wild mustang roaming freely and the BFD is super successful racing horse :D.

One question: Did someone try out the 4x10 TR offers? Seems to be a rare bird... which speakers would you recommend for the Akoya?

plumberstrummer likes this.
  4. lestera34

lestera34 Supporting Member

Has anyone played a 100W vs a 150W SSS? Thoughts/differences?

5. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

Just ordered my first Two-Rock, a Studio Signature head. Excited to try it out as I really like the control layout and the demos sound great.

6. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

There's a few post somewhere in this thread where the comparisons are made, but I'm not sure how you'd search them out.

lestera34 likes this.
  7. lestera34

lestera34 Supporting Member

I figured there probably was but it’s a long thread.

8. plumberstrummer

plumberstrummer Fatal3Records.com Supporting Member

Just wanted to get a post in on page 420 (I know, super juvenile, but I'm having fun!) :dude:bong

Jlopicco, bharp21, Voxshall and 2 others like this.
  9. Tlon

Tlon Member

Hi,

I just placed an order for a Bloomfield Drive 40/20 Combo. It's a month or two away from arriving, so I've been reading and watching everything I can on the amp. This thread has been awesome.

My use will be almost entirely at home, so I'm curious if anyone is using an attenuator like an Ox Box with the combo for home volume. Is it necessary or does the master volume work as well? Thanks for any thoughts/input.

10. BradleyCB

BradleyCB Gold Supporting Member

That should be a fun amp when it arrives! I believe a couple of people on here have the 40/20 version as well.

Regarding the need for attenuation, it depends on your style of music and settings in your rig, but if you have the amp running in the 20 W setting, you should be able to get a pretty driven tone from both the gain stages and the power section at a "reasonable" volume - not talkover quiet, but not shaking your walls either. Even with the master volume turned down lower, the Two Rocks I have still sound excellent.

If you do go the route of attentuation, I've tried both the OX and the Power Station. I couldn't bond with the OX. I might be way off on this, but to me I lost a bit of the feel and dynamics on my Classic Reverb Signature when I ran it through the OX. I still own the Power Station, but it is collecting dust at the moment. However, when I did have it connected to my amps, the tone did sound pretty similar to the unaffected tone. And I did prefer the Power Station's full level adjustment compared to the OX's 5 step attenuation knob.

Hope this helps!

Tlon and plumberstrummer like this.
  11. plumberstrummer

plumberstrummer Fatal3Records.com Supporting Member

I have the Bloomfield 40/20 - I use a Power Station or Waza at night, but I find the amp is plenty quiet for the apartment as long as the sun is up (and it sounds slightly better direct). Love love love it, and use it regularly over most of my other low watt amps.

ncbmx64 and Tlon like this.
  12. Bluesful

I've yet to hear anyone prefer the OX's attenuation over the Power Station's.

The OX seems more like a direct recording tool than an attenuator.

Abram4235 and Tlon like this.
  13. Tlon

Tlon Member

Thanks! This is very helpful!

Awesome! Thank you!

This is good to know. I am just starting to look into attenuators. Its seemed like the Ox was the biggest thing since sliced bread, so this is helpful since I really don't need the recording line. Thanks!

14. AintNoEddie

AintNoEddie Silver Supporting Member

+1 the amp should be fine by itself. I haven't got experience with either the PS or the OX, however I had several highly regarded passive attenuators. Even with 100/50W amps I preferred the MV low vs. attenuated, wide open amp. Of course if you dig the slightly fuzzy power stage distortion, there is no way around an attenuator. But this is not the sound most people associate with these kind of amps.

Tlon likes this.
  15. blueslover

blueslover Member

So, just got off the phone with Eli from Two Rock. I didn’t even realize it was so late but he chatted with me for 20 mins. Talk about dedication to ones craft. I recently bought a TC and matching cab and had some questions about customizing it. He took the time to explain my questions even though I’m no where near his knowledge base. He broke down the speaker down to what type of magnets they use. It’s clear they love what they do, and care about their customers. I’m so happy about supporting this company, by far the best gear company I’ve ever dealt with. I’m planning on buying a sterling down the road and or a studio signature.

He explained some of the new build techniques and advancements. I’m a skeptic at heart and it’s clear that they have not cut any corners when it comes to building these amps. The new transformer and the advantages it has. I’m so blown away by my TC and I’ve never sounded better.

Funny story, my GF who couldn’t tell the difference between my marantz receiver and audiophile home theater speakers and my Yamaha soundbar gets annoyed when I plug my fender amp in and tells me to play the two rock because it sounds so much better. The hiss of the fender compared to the silence of the two rock is probably her favorite feature haha.

I know they seem expensive relative to other options, but I can say in my experience it has been worth every penny. Do yourself a favor if you don’t own one and start saving up

DoctorSpock, Abram4235, Tlon and 3 others like this.
  16. rockeye

rockeye Supporting Member

NEED HELP.

My Custom Reverb Sig. v3 (50 watt dual rectified) doesn’t have enough headroom anymore for my gigs. I have a 1x12 and a 2x12, both with G12-65s. I feel like the amp doesn’t have that fat, clean, lightly compressed tone. It has a very narrow sweet spot for volume and tone. I’m tempted to sell it and get a marshall 2245 jtm45 reissue.

Any advice?

17. Bluesful

Really???

Even with the loop bypassed?

Wyzard likes this.
  18. rockeye

You mean flipping the "bypass" switch up? No I hate that switch. It just boosts all the harsh frequencies. I never use it. I even had both dials on the back of the amp at 3 o'clock. At a certain point, the bass and highs become too much and that sweet spot is gone.

I'm going to try my backup pair of power tubes and then try a pair of 7581a's I have to see if that doesn't help.

Truth be told, I've never really liked the Two Rock when playing in a band with other people. I just don't hear it as something that can blend well with other and make music. It has always sounded out of place.

19. Bluesful

No.

I'm referring to the effects loop bypass (which is a pull pot) on the back of the amp.

But it sounds like you actually don't really even like the amp at all.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  20. rockeye

I did not do that. If I pull that pot out at loud band volumes, it accentuates harsh high frequencies. I don't mind using that with the amp at low volumes for more perceived treble.