• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

The official Two-Rock thread! Post your amps, favorites, opinions, pics and tips here

texstrat

Silver Supporting Member
Agree, I think $
Hard to tell, since there are so few of them. I think they retailed new for approx. $7,500? Over the years, I think I've seen them listed in the $5,500 to $7,500 range, but hard to nail a specific number in that range because there are very few records of what they actually sell at (as opposed to listed at).
Agree. Think $6500 to $7500 is the reasonable range.

Wyzard

Silver Supporting Member
There's been a solid state-rectified one in the UK for sale for absolutely ages: the store has been advertising it at £10K :eek:, but I'm told they'll take a bid:rolleyes:

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
IIRC after a while Kimock realised a tube rec was better so they switched from the SS to tube recs?

Quick question for the classroom. I'm looking to purchase a new studio signature. I'm torn between getting the combo, or the head with the closed-back 1x12 cabinet. It seems as though more places are carrying the combo. While I like the concept of the combo for gigging purposes, I've always leaned towards heads and cabinets. I also prefer closed-back cabinets to open back. I tend to like when the low end is tighter and more focused with the closed-back. If anybody has any hands-on experience with the combo, and would like to comment on the bass response, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty sure I came to the right place to get some educated feedback. Thanks!

Studio Sig does great at low volume! I recently picked up the head and 1x12 cab as my first experience with Two-Rock, had never even played through one before. I have not been disappointed! I live in a small apartment style condo so low volume is really the only volume I play unless I’m visiting a friends were we can turn up. The SS is not too loud at all but it’s incredibly full sounding. I run with the gain just past noon and I put the master just shy of 9 o’clock and the keep my guitar volume around 7-8 and that provides a nice apartment level volume where I can roll up the guitar a little and still not be overly loud. The amp performs great at this setup and with the master set this low you can move the gain knob around some without a massive effect on overall volume. This is nice because the gain knob can tweak the tone somewhat, I run it just past noon because it feels a little more lively there then when set lower.

I love the tonal flexibilty offered by the three gain stage settings and the bright/mid/deep switches.

Can’t comment on the combo though as I’ve never played one. I thought about it for a bit but ultimately decided the head/cab was going to be more versatile and, well, I just think it looks cooler.

Oh, and the above settings are with my EJ Strat with low output single coils, you might find you need to tame it a little more if you run higher output pups.
I'm wondering what the price difference is between the combo versus the head and cabinet.

slide13

Silver Supporting Member
I'm wondering what the price difference is between the combo versus the head and cabinet.
$300, or right around a 10% difference. (2900 vs 3200). Not insignificant but not enough to make it worth sacrificing if what you really want is the head/cab.

As far as more places carrying the combo, I’m not sure that is true. I think the heads/cabs sell out quicker. When I bought mine Midwood had just gotten in 2 heads and 1 combo. The first head was sold when I contacted them a day or so after arrival. I bought the second one. The combo sold a few days after that.

$300, or right around a 10% difference. (2900 vs 3200). Not insignificant but not enough to make it worth sacrificing if what you really want is the head/cab.
They seem to be moving as soon as they come in.

As far as more places carrying the combo, I’m not sure that is true. I think the heads/cabs sell out quicker. When I bought mine Midwood had just gotten in 2 heads and 1 combo. The first head was sold when I contacted them a day or so after arrival. I bought the second one. The combo sold a few days after that.
Did you also get the closed back 1x12? I'm curious if you share my assessment regarding the tightness in the low end with the closed back.

slide13

Silver Supporting Member
I did not, I went open back cab as that’s what I’m familiar with. Not sure I’ve ever had a closed back cab now that I think about it.

Never had a chance to play before I bought either so I don’t know how they’d compare to each other or to the combo. I can say my open back cab is very full with a really strong bass response. The closed back may be tighter in response, but I don’t feel my open back is lacking for my tastes in any way.

I have an opportunity to purchase the same set up as you with the open back cab from a guy who bought it and found it to be too loud. He's asking $2800 for it. I'm sure you'd agree that sounds like a steal, and I should probably go for it instead of getting the combo.

texstrat

Silver Supporting Member
I’m sure this has been discussed before, but my search brought up some threads from a few years ago...

I’m building a new pedalboard for my recently acquired Bloomfield Drive and Kimock Sig... what are some favorite transparent style overdrive pedals for Two Rocks? What about boosts or clean boosts?

Here’s what I was thinking:
Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay
Mad Professor Royal Blue Od
Timmy Od
Greer Lightspeed
Keeley Katana Boost

Any other ideas is greatly appreciated!

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
I’m sure this has been discussed before, but my search brought up some threads from a few years ago...

I’m building a new pedalboard for my recently acquired Bloomfield Drive and Kimock Sig... what are some favorite transparent style overdrive pedals for Two Rocks? What about boosts or clean boosts?

Timmy Od
Greer Lightspeed
Keeley Katana Boost

KoT for me.

slide13

Silver Supporting Member
I have an opportunity to purchase the same set up as you with the open back cab from a guy who bought it and found it to be too loud. He's asking $2800 for it. I'm sure you'd agree that sounds like a steal, and I should probably go for it instead of getting the combo.
I would agree. It’s tough to even find a head at this point. Getting $400 off retail is pretty good for something that tough to come by, assuming it’s in perfect condition. The few used combos I’ve seen on Reverb have been only $100 below retail.

Voxshall

Timmy Od
Greer Lightspeed
Keeley Katana Boost

I think most pedals sound great in a Bloomfield Drive I personally use Centura, POT, Duellist as my core drives run the Centura as a very clean boost to fatten up my clean tones, POT at high voltage to get the headroom to clean up well with the guitar vol this is my light Marshally sound really enjoy using this with the sunlion white NKT275 fuzz for maximum clean up. The Duellist has a TS side where I again run it low gain sounds awesome for the in between clean and mean (for maximum SRV at lower levels I find the deep switch on the BD up all the rest down on EQ2 is best) and run the BB side with higher gain for more medium marshall sounds and then stack the BB side of the duellist with the POT for over the top Marshall type sound and add silicon fuzz to the mix for infinite sustain or if i want less thickness take the silicon fuzz off and add the TS side of the duellist to the mix. I'm not a fan of transparent pedals like the Timmy so can't comment on that. When I play at louder volumes especially with a Les Paul I tend to use the lead channel on the amp rather than pedals.

Sammo

Timmy Od
Greer Lightspeed
Keeley Katana Boost

Royal Blue OD is one of my all time favs, but I’d consider Mad Professors newish Supreme/Matt Schofield signature OD: one side RBOD, other is modified Simble, clever switching and probably voiced to Two Rock amps.

Last edited:

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Royal Blue OD is one of my all time favs, but I’d consider Mad Professors newish Supreme/Matt Scofield signature OD: one side RBOD, other is modified Simble, clever switching and probably voiced to Two Rock amps.
Not sure the new Schofield Mad Professor stuff would be considered 'transparent' though.

Sammo

Not sure the new Schofield Mad Professor stuff would be considered 'transparent' though.
Well, RBOD side is supposed to be be exact copy of RBOD and to me RBOD can be set quite transparently (but I use it to fatten things up and MS uses it differently than me). But good point!

And dammit: I misspelled Schofield.

texstrat

Silver Supporting Member
I think most pedals sound great in a Bloomfield Drive I personally use Centura, POT, Duellist as my core drives run the Centura as a very clean boost to fatten up my clean tones, POT at high voltage to get the headroom to clean up well with the guitar vol this is my light Marshally sound really enjoy using this with the sunlion white NKT275 fuzz for maximum clean up. The Duellist has a TS side where I again run it low gain sounds awesome for the in between clean and mean (for maximum SRV at lower levels I find the deep switch on the BD up all the rest down on EQ2 is best) and run the BB side with higher gain for more medium marshall sounds and then stack the BB side of the duellist with the POT for over the top Marshall type sound and add silicon fuzz to the mix for infinite sustain or if i want less thickness take the silicon fuzz off and add the TS side of the duellist to the mix. I'm not a fan of transparent pedals like the Timmy so can't comment on that. When I play at louder volumes especially with a Les Paul I tend to use the lead channel on the amp rather than pedals.
Thanks for the detailed reply! I’ll give some of your ideas a shot and see how they work!

I would agree. It’s tough to even find a head at this point. Getting $400 off retail is pretty good for something that tough to come by, assuming it’s in perfect condition. The few used combos I’ve seen on Reverb have been only $100 below retail.
Well to be fair it's not $400 off of just the head, it would be $400 off for the head and cabinet combined. Still a very good deal. The one thing that sucks is that it's a brand new amp, and the 5-year warranty is not transferable. From what I was told the original owner never filled out any warranty information.

Trending Topics