The official Two-Rock thread! Post your amps, favorites, opinions, pics and tips here

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mathiassiv, Mar 20, 2014.

1. blueslover

blueslover Member

Yea I get that, I feel like with pedals it will cover a ton of ground. The Bloomfield is a seriously SICK amp. I’d go with a darker amp to pair with it with the TC.

Here’s another clip but with pedals this time

2. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

3. bigfoamfinger

bigfoamfinger Supporting Member

Man I love my TC. Honestly there are times when I debate selling it to fund a BD, but then I hear the TC with pedals and all is right

Your clip sounds really good, loving the Belief intro too.

4. blueslover

blueslover Member

I apologize for nothing except my sloppy playing! Lol

I stopped playing for years so I get a pass on the overplayed slow dancing riffs lol

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  5. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Sounded great to me.

blueslover likes this.
  6. texstrat

texstrat Member

Does anyone have experience with the Kimock Signatures? I can’t find a ton of info on these amps and have an opportunity to squire one that’s all original- ss state rectifies. What do these sound like?

7. 65 Strat

65 Strat Supporting Member

Never played one, but since (I believe) the Custom Reverb circuit evolved from the Kimock Signatures, they should share a lot of tonal similarities to the early Custom Reverb line of amps. Note that the tube-rectifier versions are actually more coveted than the solid state rectifier versions, so if the seller is trying to push the SS rectifier thing as a bonus, I actually think it's the other way around...

8. texstrat

texstrat Member

Thanks! The seller is not pushing the ss at all - we’ve actually discussed how Two Rock could mod it to dual rectified if I felt the need.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  9. Wyzard

Wyzard Member

What is the approximate price for a Kimock Sig these days?

10. 65 Strat

65 Strat Supporting Member

Hard to tell, since there are so few of them. I think they retailed new for approx. $7,500? Over the years, I think I've seen them listed in the $5,500 to $7,500 range, but hard to nail a specific number in that range because there are very few records of what they actually sell at (as opposed to listed at).

Wyzard likes this.
  11. texstrat

texstrat Member

Agree, I think $
    Agree. Think $6500 to $7500 is the reasonable range.

Wyzard likes this.
  12. Wyzard

Wyzard Member

There's been a solid state-rectified one in the UK for sale for absolutely ages: the store has been advertising it at £10K :eek:, but I'm told they'll take a bid:rolleyes:

13. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

IIRC after a while Kimock realised a tube rec was better so they switched from the SS to tube recs?

14. ToneSeeker1969

ToneSeeker1969 Member

Quick question for the classroom. I'm looking to purchase a new studio signature. I'm torn between getting the combo, or the head with the closed-back 1x12 cabinet. It seems as though more places are carrying the combo. While I like the concept of the combo for gigging purposes, I've always leaned towards heads and cabinets. I also prefer closed-back cabinets to open back. I tend to like when the low end is tighter and more focused with the closed-back. If anybody has any hands-on experience with the combo, and would like to comment on the bass response, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty sure I came to the right place to get some educated feedback. Thanks!

15. ToneSeeker1969

ToneSeeker1969 Member

I'm wondering what the price difference is between the combo versus the head and cabinet.

16. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

$300, or right around a 10% difference. (2900 vs 3200). Not insignificant but not enough to make it worth sacrificing if what you really want is the head/cab.

As far as more places carrying the combo, I’m not sure that is true. I think the heads/cabs sell out quicker. When I bought mine Midwood had just gotten in 2 heads and 1 combo. The first head was sold when I contacted them a day or so after arrival. I bought the second one. The combo sold a few days after that.

17. ToneSeeker1969

ToneSeeker1969 Member

Did you also get the closed back 1x12? I'm curious if you share my assessment regarding the tightness in the low end with the closed back.

18. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

I did not, I went open back cab as that’s what I’m familiar with. Not sure I’ve ever had a closed back cab now that I think about it.

Never had a chance to play before I bought either so I don’t know how they’d compare to each other or to the combo. I can say my open back cab is very full with a really strong bass response. The closed back may be tighter in response, but I don’t feel my open back is lacking for my tastes in any way.

19. ToneSeeker1969

ToneSeeker1969 Member

I have an opportunity to purchase the same set up as you with the open back cab from a guy who bought it and found it to be too loud. He's asking $2800 for it. I'm sure you'd agree that sounds like a steal, and I should probably go for it instead of getting the combo.

slide13 likes this.
  20. texstrat

texstrat Member

I’m sure this has been discussed before, but my search brought up some threads from a few years ago...

I’m building a new pedalboard for my recently acquired Bloomfield Drive and Kimock Sig... what are some favorite transparent style overdrive pedals for Two Rocks? What about boosts or clean boosts?

Here’s what I was thinking:
    Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay
    Mad Professor Royal Blue Od
    Timmy Od
    Greer Lightspeed
    Keeley Katana Boost

Any other ideas is greatly appreciated!