The official Two-Rock thread! Post your amps, favorites, opinions, pics and tips here

Wyzard

Supporting Member
No, that's the lead channel with gain set medium!

Lots of mitigating factors, however, including the ultimate sound level being pretty low. You could talk loudly over it. It's going through an EV open-back Boogie 1x12.

Bluesful

Supporting Member
No, that's the lead channel with gain set medium!

Lots of mitigating factors, however, including the ultimate sound level being pretty low. You could talk loudly over it. It's going through an EV open-back Boogie 1x12.
Interesting.

Sounds nice and open, which is not something that one would associate with the compressed nature of a D-style's OD channel.

Last edited:

Wyzard

Supporting Member
Yes, as I've said already on a few other threads, I use the bridge pickup of a Wytch S-type, and keep myself quite consciously away from D-style sounds anyway: it's why I like early MkII Boogies as much as I do, I guess.

They're less "vowel-y", and have a bit more bone in them IMO. YMMV, etc, whatever....

I'm not a lead player, as you can probably hear quite easily: I'll post some more chordal stuff, done on the clean channel in a day or two, when I get a few minutes to spare.

dr_martijn

After a week in, I'm trying to describe how I feel about the CRS V3 and I'm trying to come up with something more concise then all the borderline poetic BS that pops into my head. I'm not even playing how and what I used to, not songs per se. I'm just hanging on to notes trying to squeeze every last drop of clean sustain and bloom from them. Just painting sonic landscapes here. And I've just plugged in a delay today cause the amp and the reverb didn't need what I consider the most important effect in my musical career. And it's so insanely MASSIVE sounding. Not talking volume here, though I have taken it off the leash occasionally and then you realise it's a proper 100W that can level buildings.
It's so FAT. I'm really interested to see how I'm going to dial it in when the band gets to play together again, the sonic bandwidth is so insanely wide and the manner in which the V3 fills a room so big that I think the other guitarist is going to have to have his Swart and Milkman working like never before to take their place.
His Swart Antares (and the Super Space Tone 30 he had before that) have always been a benchmark to me of how an amp can fill every nook and cranny of a room with sound. I love Swart's, always will, almost bought a ST-45 instead of this one. This is on an entirely different level.

When we powered it up at his place (which I affectionately call the Bunker since everything gets to be played wide open) we both had this idiotic grin from ear to ear. When he plugged in the Wren & Cuff 60's Fuzz he just picked up we actually started laughing out loud. What an amazing, epic sound.

Still trying to get to grips with how all the switches and dials influence each other. Every time you think "damn, now THAT'S a great sound" but it's just as amazing with entirely different settings. Still trying to get a sound I dislike from it. Now I just need to get the chops to where I do this instrument (which I thoroughly believe it is) justice.

Hoping to get some recordings soon that capture some of the things this amp is capable of. It can do more then I can, that's for sure.

#ramblingoff

Bluesful

Supporting Member
After a week in, I'm trying to describe how I feel about the CRS V3 and I'm trying to come up with something more concise then all the borderline poetic BS that pops into my head. I'm not even playing how and what I used to, not songs per se. I'm just hanging on to notes trying to squeeze every last drop of clean sustain and bloom from them. Just painting sonic landscapes here. And I've just plugged in a delay today cause the amp and the reverb didn't need what I consider the most important effect in my musical career. And it's so insanely MASSIVE sounding. Not talking volume here, though I have taken it off the leash occasionally and then you realise it's a proper 100W that can level buildings.
It's so FAT. I'm really interested to see how I'm going to dial it in when the band gets to play together again, the sonic bandwidth is so insanely wide and the manner in which the V3 fills a room so big that I think the other guitarist is going to have to have his Swart and Milkman working like never before to take their place.
His Swart Antares (and the Super Space Tone 30 he had before that) have always been a benchmark to me of how an amp can fill every nook and cranny of a room with sound. I love Swart's, always will, almost bought a ST-45 instead of this one. This is on an entirely different level.

When we powered it up at his place (which I affectionately call the Bunker since everything gets to be played wide open) we both had this idiotic grin from ear to ear. When he plugged in the Wren & Cuff 60's Fuzz he just picked up we actually started laughing out loud. What an amazing, epic sound.

Still trying to get to grips with how all the switches and dials influence each other. Every time you think "damn, now THAT'S a great sound" but it's just as amazing with entirely different settings. Still trying to get a sound I dislike from it. Now I just need to get the chops to where I do this instrument (which I thoroughly believe it is) justice.

Hoping to get some recordings soon that capture some of the things this amp is capable of. It can do more then I can, that's for sure.

#ramblingoff
If you stumble on some settings you dig, let me know as I'm keen to try them on mine.

Milwauke

Curious if anyone has tried a replacement speaker in their 1x12 cab paired with a BFD 50/100? The TR speaker is fantastic, but I'm curious what (for example) an EVM 12L might sound like, or perhaps the Celestion Cream. Beautiful cleans and light OD from the BFD is what I'm seeking, both with Strats and 335s.

Last edited:

plumberstrummer

Fatal3Records.com
Curious if anyone has tried a replacement speaker in their 1x12 cab paired with a BFD 50/100? The TR speaker is fantastic, but I'm curious what (for example) an EVM 12L might sound like, or perhaps the Celestion Cream. Beautiful cleans and light OD from the BFD is what I'm seeking, both with Strats and 335s.
I've been using Jensen Blackbirds in mine. Not the cheapest, but sound and respond great. I've also tried the WHS copy, the blackhawk, but it's not as tight sounding.

blueslover

Supporting Member
Great playing and awesome tone! Did you use a P-split to split the signal? And that's the 100W SSS, correct?
Thank you! You’re too kind, I feel it’s almost perfect and I should have dialed down the mids a hair. I used the Strymon Flint Stereo Outs, hope I didn't do it wrong? lol

Last edited:

Bluesful

Supporting Member
I use two different 1X12 cabs with my CRSv3.

A Thiele with an EV.

A Two Rock cab with a Cream Alnico.

Both are great.

This is a Strat with the Cream Alnico.

Last edited:

MisterMojo

Silver Supporting Member
I‘ve been trying a bunch of different speakers with my 50W CLR and Kimock heads (although no 1x12): 2x12’s with: Rola G12-65‘s, EVM 12L’s, JBL K120’s, JBL E120’s and 1x15’s with JBL D130F or K130. I seem to prefer speakers that don’t induce their own break up to what the amp is doing. Currently settled in on the K120’s with the CLR, and D130F with the Kimock. The EVM’s are very “familiar” for me, so they take a close 2nd to the K120’s. Caveat: it could all change tomorrow :rolleyes:

Bluesful

Supporting Member
I‘ve been trying a bunch of different speakers with my 50W CLR and Kimock heads (although no 1x12): 2x12’s with: Rola G12-65‘s, EVM 12L’s, JBL K120’s, JBL E120’s and 1x15’s with JBL D130F or K130. I seem to prefer speakers that don’t induce their own break up to what the amp is doing. Currently settled in on the K120’s with the CLR, and D130F with the Kimock. The EVM’s are very “familiar” for me, so they take a close 2nd to the K120’s. Caveat: it could all change tomorrow :rolleyes:
I found the G12-65 (modern one not a vintage one) to be a little too dark/muddy with the heavy low mids in my Two Rock.

Not sure if you felt the same way.

MisterMojo

Silver Supporting Member
I found the G12-65 (modern one not a vintage one) to be a little too dark/muddy with the heavy low mids in my Two Rock.

Not sure if you felt the same way.
Mine are all original ‘81’s, no issues and well worn-in. It may be their age, coupled with the cab (open oval back) but they are pretty even sounding and can handle cleans and gain very competently. I do tend to run the bass low, though, on many of my amps.

Hey guys-

Wanted to follow up and see if anyone out there has a Traditional Clean Combo? I prefer combos over heads/cabs. The specs on this look right up my alley but I'd love to try one first. I've tried a Studio Sig Combo and thought it was cool but I think the Trad Clean might be a better potential fit for my needs.

Thanks in advance...

Do you expect the combo to sound very different from the head / cab ?
I guess the combo is a fully-open 1x12, while a lot of separate cabs are semi-open 2x12's.
I just always have more use for combos honestly... the Trad Clean combo seems slightly on the high end of "grab and go" but I also have a BF Super Reverb which I move around often. 40w/20w is enough wattage for my needs as well.

Trending Topics