The official Two-Rock thread! Post your amps, favorites, opinions, pics and tips here

Duster72

Hey guys, sorry to post a standard question here, but I can't make up my mind.

I have a Deluxe Reverb Tonemaster that I really like but it's not perfect. I have some extra money, so I want to buy a Two Rock and be done with it. I feel pretty confident that the CLRS is my ideal tone. I only want to play it at home. I was going to buy the 50W CLRS but I'm a little confused between that, the 100, and the Studio Sig. I can't figure out the use case for the Studio Sig beyond cost if the CLRS is great at lower volumes. I am fortunate that I can afford any of these amps and really just want to buy the right one on the first try. I don't want to be in a buy/upgrade/sell cycle.

Anyone want to help me out?

Edited to fix Acronym confusion.

Last edited:

sir-vector

I have a Deluxe Reverb Tonemaster that I really like but it's not perfect. I have some extra money, so I want to buy a Two Rock and be done with it. I feel pretty confident that the CRS is my ideal tone. I only want to play it at home. I was going to buy the 50W CRS but I'm a little confused between that, the 100, and the Studio Sig. I can't figure out the use case for the Studio Sig beyond cost if the CRS is great at lower volumes. I am fortunate that I can afford any of these amps and really just want to buy the right one on the first try. I don't want to be in a buy/upgrade/sell cycle.

I’m pretty sure you mean the current CLRS (Classic Reverb Signature). Besides that, I’m interest in this as well - what’s the difference between the 50W and 100W version (assuming I won’t ever go above 50W) and how close will the Studio Signature get me there?

justonwo

Platinum Supporting Member

I have a Deluxe Reverb Tonemaster that I really like but it's not perfect. I have some extra money, so I want to buy a Two Rock and be done with it. I feel pretty confident that the CRS is my ideal tone. I only want to play it at home. I was going to buy the 50W CRS but I'm a little confused between that, the 100, and the Studio Sig. I can't figure out the use case for the Studio Sig beyond cost if the CRS is great at lower volumes. I am fortunate that I can afford any of these amps and really just want to buy the right one on the first try. I don't want to be in a buy/upgrade/sell cycle.

There are others here that are way more qualified to answer this question, but I believe one difference between the 50 and 100 Watt version is that the lower wattage versions are tube rectified. Although I have no direct experience with the lower wattage CLRS, in other amps tube rectification results in a different feel (a little spongey/saggy vs. immediate with solid state). A fellow forum member, plumberstrummer, advised me to get the higher wattage version because it has more girth and thump . . . but still sounds great at lower volumes. I'm not certain about how the Studio Signature is rectified. I suspect solid state since tube rectification isn't mentioned specifically. I've heard it called a smaller version of the CLRS, retaining many of the same features, but I can't comment on that amp since I haven't played it myself.

jmelm

Gold Supporting Member
I ended up ordering a Bloomfield in tobacco suede today with vertical 2x12 but found out they can no longer supply the Vox-style diamond grill cloth (Vox ordered them to stop). Now I'm a bit stumped about what color I want. Not even sure I want to stick with tobacco. These look cool to me.

My 3 favourite suede colours are the light blue with beige grill cloth you pictured, the darker blue/teal colour you pictured, and the burgundy colour as shown in this link:

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
I ended up ordering a Bloomfield in tobacco suede today with vertical 2x12 but found out they can no longer supply the Vox-style diamond grill cloth (Vox ordered them to stop). Now I'm a bit stumped about what color I want. Not even sure I want to stick with tobacco. These look cool to me.

I wonder if they could do turq-on-turq using the Fender cloth? That would look insane, as long as the colors got along.

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
My 3 favourite suede colours are the light blue with beige grill cloth you pictured, the darker blue/teal colour you pictured, and the burgundy colour as shown in this link:

my CLRS and 4x10 are in that Burgundy (nicked the idea from what Eli did for DB2) - think its the best looking rig dress I’ve ever had

BradleyCB

Silver Supporting Member

I have a Deluxe Reverb Tonemaster that I really like but it's not perfect. I have some extra money, so I want to buy a Two Rock and be done with it. I feel pretty confident that the CLRS is my ideal tone. I only want to play it at home. I was going to buy the 50W CLRS but I'm a little confused between that, the 100, and the Studio Sig. I can't figure out the use case for the Studio Sig beyond cost if the CLRS is great at lower volumes. I am fortunate that I can afford any of these amps and really just want to buy the right one on the first try. I don't want to be in a buy/upgrade/sell cycle.

I will point out a few things for you, but others will be more qualified to respond.

Given your requirements, it sounds like price and portability are non-factors.

re you cross shopping the Studio Signature head or combo? If the combo, that will have a smaller, narrower sound than running a CLRS through a standard Two-Rock cab, such as the 212. I believe the Studio Signature uses Two-Rock's smaller shell, compared to the larger Traditional Clean and Bloomfield Drive combos, for instance. The smaller dimensions within the combo cabinet will give you that smaller sound. Not boxy, but just not as full as what you would get from the separate cab.

In terms of features, the Studio Signature lacks (i) FET circuit (i.e., clean boost), (ii) EQ1/EQ2 switch, and (iii) a footswitch. I found all three of those to be important parts of shaping tones on the CLRS. Reverb Defeat on the CLRS' footswitch, for instance, was one of my favorite features of the CLRS once I was going for a heavier drive tone. I also loved EQ1 because, for me, it was easier to control the bass response in a small environment. I also have found the FET circuit to be useful for dialing in the tone I want for humbuckers and then turning on the FET boost when switching to a single coil guitar.

Between the 100W and the 50W, I have less experience there. My new TS1 is the 50W head version. I've only used it for about an hour so far. But I've many kept it in the cathode bias setting (as opposed to fixed bias). My understanding is cathode bias is supposed to result in a spongier response compared to fixed bias. [I confess I know next to knowing about electronics, so I could not tell you any of the technical know how about this stuff.] What I do know with the 50 W TS1 is that I am more than happy with my selection so far.

Just note. I also have a Deluxe Reverb Tonemaster. Cool amp. The attenuator function on the back of it makes it pretty versatile. With any of these three Two-Rock amps, you will not be able to crank them like you can on the Tonemaster at a quiet level. To be sure, you can crank the pre-amp gain and use switches like the mid boost switch, the Schofield setting, and bypass the tone stack for a pretty cool sound. But you will still need to keep the master volume fairly closed off in a small space. Sounds great, but it won't be the same as running a Fender amp completely wide open - even the digital rendition of one.

Hope this helps!

justonwo

I decided on mint/cane, just like this amp. But a 100 Watt Bloomfield. :)

davidespinosa

Silver Supporting Member
@justonwo

Complete list of colors is at the bottom of this page.
That does NOT look like mint.
https://www.humbuckermusic.com/collections/two-rock-custom-suede-amps

@Duster72 @sir-vector

The Studio Sig has a smaller reverb tank than the CLRS, so it will decay more quickly.
I'm pretty sure that most people prefer the longer tank.

The CLRS has a footswitchable tone stack bypass (for more gain).

On the 100W CLRS, the high/lower power switch is 4 tubes vs 2 tubes.
On the 50W CLRS, the high/lower power switch is fixed / cathode, which gives a different power amp feel.

And for combos, it's a good observation that the CLRS has a bigger cab -- bigger cabs almost always sound better.

Last edited:

justonwo

@justonwo

Complete list of colors is at the bottom of this page.
That does NOT look like mint.
https://www.humbuckermusic.com/collections/two-rock-custom-suede-amps

@Duster72 @sir-vector

The Studio Sig has a smaller reverb tank than the CLRS, so it will decay more quickly.
I'm pretty sure that most people prefer the longer tank.
The CLRS also has footswitchable tone stack bypass (for more gain).
On the 100W CLRS, the high/lower power switch is 4 tubes vs 2 tubes.
On the 50W CLRS, the high/lower power switch is fixed / cathode, which gives a different power amp feel.
And for combos, a good point that the CLRS has a bigger cab -- bigger cabs almost always sound better.
The photo came from this site, where it's listed as "mint."

Also, here is the color chart that came direct from Two-Rock in a pdf.

And here is the color chart from Humbucker's site. I'd say their colors look really blown-out and inaccurate.

jmelm

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, I wouldn't really call it mint, but that's their name. Turquoise is how I see it, but daphne is probably close as well. Is that your guitar? It's gorgeous!
Yeah, that’s a picture of a recent custom guitar of mine. CP Thornton guitars. 18 months ago I had never heard of him when I bought my first one. A year later, I owned 7 of them and have another on the way. Best discovery I’ve made and best S & T style guitars I’ve found. Less than 6.5 lbs (and not Paulownia or any funny business ;))

I was trying to keep the cost down on a new order CLRS & cab. But now you’re making me feel like I have to get that same colour of yours to match that guitar...and because I think it’s the nicest TR colour combo :)

davidespinosa

Silver Supporting Member
@justonwo

I agree about the Humbucker photos -- blown-out and inaccurate. Thanks !

Here are a couple photos I got from Two-Rock -- they're a little brighter than your PDF, but basically in agreement.

DiPa

Constant GAS

What’s the build time they are quoting?

plumberstrummer

Fatal3Records.com
I ordered through a dealer that already had a Bloomfield in the queue. Probably April or so.
Dope. I can't wait to hear about your experience with these, the reverb on the Bloomfield is my favorite, and is probably my favorite Two Rock overall. Moreso than even the other amp s, the Bloomfield really benefits from upgrading the overdrive tube. Finding a great tube that breaks up in the way you like can really change the amp.

Congrats man, Im enjoying watching your Two Rock journey these past few months. Still looking for some clips! THis is TGP after all:
:clips

plumberstrummer

Fatal3Records.com

To follow up with what some of the others have said:
The 100w has more low end tightness, whereas the 50w is a little more "mid focused" ~ all of that is strictly a matter of the power section, the rest of the circuit is the same. The 50w also has the cathode bias switch too, which is subtle and harder to describe, but feel does change. Cathode is slightly louder, iirc, but just consider it another subtle way of changing the amp response (if you want to.) The studio sig is another animal, and I would just second what @davidespinosa said earlier. The only other thing I would add is that the smaller chassis makes it cycle back into itself a little easier when you turn it way up, and the combo all the moreso. VERY cool if you can turn it up, but it does make the amp respond differently from the CLRS. Both are exceptional, but CLRS is bigger. The Studio SIg is kind of a baby CLRS, but by virtue of the fact that it is smaller it is a bit of a different amp in the way it responds at volume. I would get one, but have to draw the line somewhere. Thinking my next amp will be a CLRS, myself, fwiw.

Trending Topics