The official Two-Rock thread! Post your amps, favorites, opinions, pics and tips here

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mathiassiv, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Shadow Puppets

Shadow Puppets Member

Particularly with Two Rocks, what are people's experience with the difference in sound / feel between 6V6s and 6L6s? I've only ever owned 6L6 Two Rocks, but in curious about a lower wattage 6V6 Coral currently...

2. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

Great question which I've been wondering about as well. Same position as you, only every played 50w and 100w 6L6 TR's. I've been eyeing up a lower wattage Coral or Crystal for smaller applications, would be good to know what people think of the differences.

3. Dunzie

Dunzie Member

Sorry I missed this... The stock WGS Veterans. Cheers!

4. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

Very cool....congrats on a great setup.

5. T92780

I have a Two Rock Crystal 22-watt head, love it, but what tonal difference between SS or Tube rectified Crystals at home, or at recording levels would I hear? Pro's, cons?

PS. Between 50-watt head SS and 22-watt?

Here's a quick and ****** playing that I only I could do to bastardized TR, sorry Chad, but wonder tonal differences....
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MgGAyrs97UQ

6. v-verb

v-verb Member

I had a killer Emerald 50. Superb amp!

I would like a TS1 some day. Probably never happen though

7. Shadow Puppets

Shadow Puppets Member

Difficult to tell from that clip as you're using a lot of pedals. All I could describe is my 50W Crystal SS. With mine it remains clean pretty much all the way up the dial. It has a VERY immediate response, and is very uncompressed. I play in venues ranging from 100 people up to 5000 people, and I am yet to get the master volume above noon (in the larger venues this is obviously because the amp is mic'd so it is not necessary). It'll probably come down to whatever the difference is between the various tubes (6v6 vs 6L6). I believe 6L6 to be a cleaner sound? (From my very brief research)

By the way, every time you post a clip you downplay your playin ability...and every time I listen to one I think "he's a really good player, why is he downplaying that!" :)

8. T92780

I'm hearing my Crystal 22 to be a little looser, less tight or stiff sounding, so perhaps, that's the same as less immediate in attack, all while being less compressed than my SP22 and Jet22. The latter Mac told me it would be, but digging the looser feel. I suppose my Crystal being the only tube rectified of my bunch creates that.?. So, I'm guessing/asking if the Crystal SS 50-watt is more immediate in attack? Also, the head cab size of my Crystal 22 dwarfs my SP22....as big, maybe bigger than my Ceriatone 50-watt head.

Thanks for the kind words, but I'm far less skilled than you and most gigging players....just a noodler among some very fine/pro players here...just trying to keep it real/honest....heck, I don't even know the inner workings of my gear :)

Cheers.

PS love to hear clips of you on your Crystal.

9. Shadow Puppets

Shadow Puppets Member

The 50W comes in both SS and Tube rectified so I guess you would probably experience that looser feel with the Tube rectified version (although I haven't tried it). I personally prefer the immediacy of SS rectified, but only by a slight margin.

The 6V6 tubes vs 6L6 tubes debate, from doing a bit of research on here, leads me to believe that the 50W will probably sound even cleaner than the 22W, but don't quote me on that.

10. T92780

Here's the Crystal 22-watt head with no pedals and all controls at 12pm, except reverb, both at 10pm.

https://soundcloud.com/t92780/crystal-vision-two-rock

11. Shadow Puppets

Shadow Puppets Member

That doesn't sound dissimilar to my 50W SS rectified. I think it's just about how much clean headroom you want / need, and how you like the feel.

12. msoleno

msoleno Supporting Member

I bought the 22-watt crystal because I wanted the lower wattage and tube rectifiers. I have a 50 watt classic reverb that I used for about a year with the SS rectifier, then sent it in to have the tube rectifiers put in. It was definitely worth it to me, I prefer it. Like people have said, the attack is more immediate with the solid state rectifier, it almost is too much so for me. The sag of the tube rectifiers gave it that "feel" that I was looking for. It also gives the interaction with overdrive pedals a different feel, I felt I could turn the gain down on my pedals and it had more to do with the attack that I wasn't getting with the solid state rectified version. How that translates to the crystal I'm not exactly sure because of other differences in the amps, but I can get a fairly close feel as far as the attack goes. I do prefer the tube rectified classic reverb to the crystal still, but there could be a host of reasons for that. But to be fair, I haven't taken the crystal out and opened it up (all 22 watts) at a gig, because I'm afraid of being underpowered. I think I'll take it out next week just to see what happens, it should be a smaller private gig.

13. Tomo

Tomo Member

Two-Rock Tomo Fujita signature 50 watts amp
    String Driver 1-12 Ported closed cab

I love this amp's clean head room.

Kyoto - Tomo Fujita 11/13/2014 at Rag, Kyoto Japan
    http://youtu.be/fVAPxrm19qA

1992 Fender SRV signature Strat
    Grinning Dog Funkmaster ST pickups

Vemuram Jan Ray for TF pedal

D'Addario ELX110 (10-46 set)
    Pickboy vintage classic 1mm

Tomo

14. T92780

I really enjoyed that!!!!

15. Tomo

Tomo Member

Thanks so much! Glad to hear...

Tomo

16. nondeplume

nondeplume Puppet For Prophet Gold Supporting Member

Emerald Pro #284, lo-gain, purchased from Ultrasound NY

[​IMG]

Storyville likes this.
  17. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I bought this SP35 exactly a year ago and I really like it a lot. I'm playing it through an old 1969 Marshall 1960B cab with original 55Hz greenbacks. My only "wish" was that it got a little angrier. I'm boosting it with an Archer and on occasion, a Euphoria.

If I were to get another TR in the future, which one gets a bit more of an aggressive SRV-like tone?

[​IMG]

18. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

You'd probably want to get a two channel amp so you can have the TR cleans and a more aggressive lead channel. There are many models that fit this bill.

There are some great deals to be had on a Sensor which has a more aggressive lead channel than the normal TR fare.

19. proxy

proxy Member

I continue to be astounded that they could pack all the features and tone into the SP35 in such a compact size. Ideal compact pedal platform.

20. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

^^yes, the SP35 is an impressive little machine. A lot of crisp blackface-ish clean tone from something the size of a toaster oven.

Does anybody know of any tube swaps or simple suggestions for a bit more gain? I wish the gain knob actually produced more breakup.