• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The official Two-Rock thread! Post your amps, favorites, opinions, pics and tips here

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
Anyone on here run more than one Two Rock together in a dual amp setup, and if so, which amps and what roles do each play?
I use a modded Emerald 50 as a great clean base tone with reverb and a TS1 with some gain on it together. Fills the room in a great way. Swirls.

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
Here are my two babies.

Emerald 50 #103 - third amp Two-Rock ever produced back in 1999. It was modded by Krinard this past summer with all NOS parts and he did a big re-voicing of the amp. Cleans are massive Super Reverb on steroids type tones and the Lead is very much so into the Overdrive Reverb category now.

P4kdKE5.jpg

This isn't technically a Two-Rock any longer, but this TS1 was built by Bill Krinard after he left Two-Rock with all NOS parts exactly matching Ford's ODS down to the 80s wire and solder. Bill voiced it slightly more towards Kaiser's and he says it has more ROCK in it. It's the best amp I've ever owned. I'm just scratching the surface of what it can do, to be honest. Overdriving the Clean channel sounds as good or better than any Lead channel I've heard, and when I do actually click on the Lead channel it's just out-of-bounds good. It's a lifer amp for me. Hell, they both are. I love the way they sound so much.

6aQylFE.jpg

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
This pre-Sig 100/50 watt Custom Reverb is my 2nd addition to this thread. I'm still in the honeymoon phase, I suspect my thoughts on this amp won't fade.

Robben Ford, Mayer, and Isbell reside here

I really want to play this amp. I'd love to get it next to my Emerald and heard the differences. The Emerald (according to Chad at least) was the basis for the Custom Reverb line of amps, and eventually the Custom Sigs for everyone. So, it'd be cool to hear the OG amp next to some of amps that came a few generations afterwards.

cyrja

I really want to play this amp. I'd love to get it next to my Emerald and heard the differences. The Emerald (according to Chad at least) was the basis for the Custom Reverb line of amps, and eventually the Custom Sigs for everyone. So, it'd be cool to hear the OG amp next to some of amps that came a few generations afterwards.

Next time you're around Nashville hit me up

DiPa

Constant GAS
Traviswalk, love your collection, and now I don't feel as bad hoading up pieces year after year, I have good company :)

lestera34

Silver Supporting Member
This pre-Sig 100/50 watt Custom Reverb is my 2nd addition to this thread. I'm still in the honeymoon phase, I suspect my thoughts on this amp won't fade.

Robben Ford, Mayer, and Isbell reside here

I almost bought one of these about a month ago for next to nothing. Kicking myself.

Stone Driver

Gold Supporting Member
Photo of my small collection below; Classic Type 3 and a Schofield Sig. I typically have the bright switch engaged on the Classic Type 3 to get more of a blackface on steroids style clean tone, and engage both the bright and bass switches on the Schofield.

I now use a Theile 1x12 EVM12 with the Classic Type 3, and prefer it to the Scumback H75LDHC / J75 2x12 combo I recorded in the clip. The Schofield really shines with a 4x10 cab, and I am running 1 x WGS alnico and 3 x WGS Veterans in it. Still haven't tried the Emminence Rajun Cajuns which I hear are great with this amp, but I could not be happier with what I got currently.

YouTube demo clips don't do them justice, but you'll get the basic idea. Cheers!

_hi.fi

Got my Two Rock Crystal 50 today! I bought it here on TGP. I'm so happy. I was dreaming of a Two Rock for years, now I own one... I played it for about one hour today. It sounds great, love it! :)

I just finish to check the tubes :
- V1, V2, V4, V5 : Tung Sol 12AX7
- V3 : Jan Philips 12AT7
- V7, V8 : 6L6 TAD.

I suppose they are the original tubes? I just replaced the V1 Tung Sol by a NOS RCA 7025. I'm gonna give it a try later...

The head is used (but Mint), but the 1x12 cab & Celestion Gold speaker are brand new. I played the Celestion Gold (got the cab 3 days before the head) for about 10 hours before with my '66 Deluxe Reverb. So the Gold is not break in yet. I'm a little concerned by the fact that when I used pedals, I could make the speaker fart. Do you guys think it's because the break in is not done or is it that the Gold can't handle the power of a 50 watts head? I don't want to blow the Celestion Gold... The Gain was at 2 o'clock, the Master at 1, the volume on my Zendrive at 11, the gain 10, and the volume on my Strat was at 9. Was it too loud for the Celestion Gold?

BTW, I also have an 80's Celestion G12-65, I will give it a try later this week.

Thanks for answer guys and sorry my english (I speak french).

mathiassiv

What do you think will happen to Two-Rock now that Bill Krinard and Chad Mangrum has left?

New Beginnings!

Hey everyone!

The news was released a bit sooner then I had anticipated so I felt I should let you (who know me) know what’s going on.

As of this week I have resigned my position as Head of Engineering, Design and Service for Two-Rock Amplifiers. This was not a light decision and with a bit of a heavy heart knew that it was time to move on. I am sure that there will be speculation on why I have made this move. I want to come out early and state that I hold no ill will towards Premier Builders Guild. I wish them success and hope that they continue to create great products.

This next progressive step for me will not take me out of the game though! I will now focus my immediate attention to the creation and launch of a specialized website and service center. This service center will offer repair and modifications, advice on operation, help with effects and setup, or just your run of the mill "how to". The scope of this will apply to all current and retired legacy models.

There is a great community that has grown around the hard work and dedication that we (Bill, Joe, Mac, Myself, and the Build team) have put our heart in souls into over so many years. Even though I’m not tied to Premier Builders Guild anymore Two-Rock represents a focal part of my life and journey. Just letting go and walking away isn’t my style and I want to continue to provide the same level of professionalism and expertise that you have all come to expect.

Furthermore, during this transition into new beginnings I would like to announce that I will be launching a new line of “Vintage Rock” amplifiers. This line of amplifiers will focus on a few designs that came out of the early K&M years. In tandem I will re-launch the SineWave brand of speaker cabinets and include a new line of amplifiers to accompany them. SineWave will also be the platform for the creation of custom shop builds. I have a lot of ideas for new amps and with my continued affiliation with players (you), fellow designers, mentors, and industry connections I hope to bring some of these to market.

I am very excited about what the future holds for myself and the other individuals that will be associated with my new ventures. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions, concerns or if you just want to talk.

Thanks!

Chad Mangrum

info@limitedresistance.com

Top Bottom