The Official Vinetto Artifact Thread **PART TWO**

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by telesquire, Sep 9, 2008.

1. telesquire

telesquire Member

The old thread's been locked by the mods for size reasons,so we'll carry on here chaps with Part 2!

Fire away......

2. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Still digging both of mine. I turned a friend on to Vinetto and has two as well. Great stuff for sure.

3. telesquire

telesquire Member

I'd be picking up the chambered 56 WG on the 'bay but he doesn't ship to the UK...which is bad....but good all at the same time!

4. cffluntouch

cffluntouch Gold Supporting Member

I love the playability of my '63 SC, but am not loving the Lollars. They have what I find to be sort of a harsh edge to them when I compare to my '66 Tele. Has anyone changed pickups? Should I lower them a tad to see if that changes? Could it be the brass glendale saddles? Great guitar otherwise.

5. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

try lowering them, it seems to take out the high midrange crang.

6. cffluntouch

I will give that a try, thanks!

7. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    Here is my "Under the Bed Relic" SCBG50. By far the best tele I have ever owned. It is actually so good that I don't even miss my Suhr Tele I sold about 4 years ago that I have since been trying to buy back from the buyer. That Suhr was incredible and I have been trying to get it back since I sold it. Since buying this Vinetto I don't miss my old Suhr. What a killer tele:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chuck

8. Vince

Vince Member

OK, I'm dying to make a Tina joke about the wrath of Ike, but suffice it to say that he made all the way back to his home town of St. Louis from the gulf and kicked the **** out of us today. Although we're not in a flood plane, we got hit by a pretty nasty flash flood and the entire shop was under 2-3 feet of water. We lost a bunch of of guitars that were ready to ship tomorrow, a load of stuff that was in final process, most our machines, a bunch of wood, and some the best stuff from my personal collection of guitars and vintage amps.

It's pretty nasty right now. No phone, but email is open. I'll keep you guys posted.

It's pretty bad.

VC

9. 5150gtrmonkey

5150gtrmonkey Silver Supporting Member

Holy Crap. Sorry to hear that Vince. Hope you are able to restore or recover some of what got hit by the flood. Hope no one you know got injured either. Can't even begin to imagine what you must be going through right now. Best wishes and hope you have a fast and safe recovery.

10. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Well I just traded for a Fiesta Red Vinetto DC60 SB and wanted to post about it when I read your post about the flood damage. What a shame. Given that news, I wasn't sure whether to post or not but if it serves to offer any encouragement at all here goes...

First of all I go through a lot of guitars, not as many as some, but probably over 50 in the last 8 years or so with about 15 "keepers" in my current collection. They are all gigging instruments. My #1 favorite over all these years has been my Grosh Retro Classic, an early mid 200's serial # made like a '54 - alder maple, 7.25" radius, w Fralin Blues Specials. I've tried a lot od strats and nothing could touch it. Lately I've wanted to add a strat with more chime than the Grosh's Fralin's could offer. I tried out a bunch of strats finally going for a blind trade for a Fender Custom Shop '60 Relic. Well I just could not bond with it. Hard to keep in tune, neck was too skinny, fretted out in the upper registers even after a lot of set-up work and the tone was chimey all right but just no character, at least for me. It just felt and sounded wimpy.
    Then I saw a guy offering a Vinetto DC60 SB for sale locally and gave him a ring to see if he'd be interested in swapping for the Fender. Well, I got the Vinetto and could not be more pleased! First of all the neck shape is just right! Not the flattened C of the Fender but rounder and a bit fuller. The fretwork is the equal of Don's in every way (and that's saying something!). The Lollar blackface pups measure about the same as the Fenders in the bridge and middle but sound much fuller while still having plenty of chime. The bridge pup has a bit more output and that works just fine too.
    The most amazing part about the guitar is how all those parts work together. The guitar is so alive! It has incredible balance from low to high strings on all the pups and no dead spots anywhere on the neck. Just the opposite in fact. The dynamics are really impressive. It is tremendously responsive to pick attack and string bends actually seem to grow and swell as you hold the notes. It really works to bring out the best in my playing. I know this sounds kinda' silly but it's almost like the guitar is cheering you on, working with you not against you.
    I know each persons tastes are different and they way they react to an instrument is very personal. For me, I've not been this impressed with a guitar in a while. I've had others kinda' grow on me but this one just kinda' grabs you and says "Hey, wanna' play?".
    Thanks Vince for making such a great instrument and if you're a bit down due to the current setbacks, I hope this let's you know that your fine work is appreciated.

11. cffluntouch

Vince, so sorry to hear about the shop!! I live in Stl too and I drove near Manchester yesterday and knowing where your shop is it popped into my mind "I hope he's ok". Sorry to hear it isn't. Good luck with the recovery/restoration effort! Vintage guitars are irreplaceable. Does the insurance kick in / cover any of it? Bluewail-I have a Fiesta Red '63 SC and have been casually looking for a DC '60 in Fiesta to match up with it. Glad you found one, they are fantastic!

12. telesquire

telesquire Member

How's it goin' Vince?

13. Vintagegitar.no

Vintagegitar.no Member

I just spoke with Vince today and he is busy with building guitars for X-Mas.
    I know we are going to see a couple of really rude Artifacts before the end of the year!

14. moozak

moozak Silver Supporting Member

i've had a really neat custom spec SC63 or order for a while... i hope to see it soon!

15. telesquire

telesquire Member

I dream of a body contoured blackguard SC50 Artifact with three pups....the front two being black covered....compound radius....vintage frets....57 V-neck quartersawn...super lightweight and with no forearm wear! I can but dream.....

16. Vince

Vince Member

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been around for awhile. We decided that for now we'd have to stay in our current building, so we've been busting ass rebuilding. We moved a few doors and walls and took down a couple of others to basically reconfigure the layout of the entire shop. We're picking up a lot of space by doing it, too.

We have been on "pause" for a couple of weeks, but we're really close to having everything back in place and shipping again in a few weeks.

17. telesquire

telesquire Member

Great news! Thanks for the info.

18. 5150gtrmonkey

5150gtrmonkey Silver Supporting Member

Awesome to hear things are coming together for you Vince. Your attitude and outlook throughout your ordeal has been inspiring. Hope you'll be at full production capacity soon!