The Officious Marshall Super Bass (Bass Circuit) Thread ; aka 1992 / 1986 Circuits

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Baminated, Feb 5, 2010.

1. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

Both my #1 and my backup are based :)rimshot) on the 1986 marshall circuit. In each I decided to use .05 uf P.I. couple caps; also lower than stock value bypass caps on the V1 cathode. On one of the amps I can switch in bypass caps of two different values (50 pf or 100pf) if I wanted to get more of a lead circuit tone.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  2. Roe

Roe Member

I have 6 of this type of amp. used to have 7. have keept 2 small box amps and 4 big ones

3. merriweather69

merriweather69 Member

I have used a '73 small box 50 watt 1986 Marshall head for 20 years and tried and owned a lot of different amps including other Marshalls... The '73 1986 is the best amp I've played through period. It does well with pedals, sounds great clean, and bridging the channels and cranking it up to it's sweet spot is the sound... Most touch sensitive amp I've played and uses EL34's. This head matched with a 4x12 Greenback cab is my rig, and sounds even better through a Marshall 8x10... sounds great through any cab and is the loudest 50 watt amp I've played, but can get clean and quiet with using volume knob on the guitar, or palm muting or just playing/picking lightly... Never will get rid of this amp, and is built like a tank!

4. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

THIS!!!!!

I have a PTP 1973 50w JMP Bass with the matching 4x12, sounds GLORIOUS!! And it can rock hard too (recorded with Torpedo Live):

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/lordriffenstein/1973-jmp-thru-greenbacks[/SOUNDCLOUD]

5. RetroToneMusic

RetroToneMusic Member

I have a 100 watt Super Bass [68 circuit] --- I put a set of 6CA7's in it --- Love it.....It's the perfect classic rock/ blues machine.... Very articulate.... [​IMG]

6. 70's Hard Rock

70's Hard Rock Supporting Member

love old shcool Marshalls bump!!!

7. dclxvi

dclxvi Member

81 superbass here.

use it to run my 2203 into it or a nasty fuzz or two if im feeling froggy.

[​IMG]

8. myaudiodna

myaudiodna Member

Necro bump for fellow Bass Spec owners! Mine is a '76, all original. Can't get enough! What settings is everyone using?

9. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

1969 Plexi Super Bass ( early 69 so all Plexi panel ). Unmodded. Winged Cs and Mullard ECC83s.

Jump channels, normal volume on around 9, bright volume on around 7

Pres 5
    Bass 2
    Mid 5
    Treble 8

I use an attenuator and a Plexi sheild live.

10. myaudiodna

myaudiodna Member

Nice! What guitars are you playing?

11. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

A custom strat made by Zero One Guitars here in Wales. '59 spec, maple neck. Also use a 62 USA Reissue Tele tuned down to C Sharp. Sometimes a 61 reissue SG.

12. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

Here it is with a Cornford Cab, 2x Scumback speakers ( M75 and H75 ) and an analogman sunface NKT275 white dot low gain. This is the Tele tuned down. Monster riff..

13. Dawg76

Dawg76 Silver Supporting Member

You guys with bass spec amps that have played a lead spec, anyone find the bass spec to "bassy" for Les Paul's?

I have a (rather bright) 1987x plexi clone that I may have a lead/bass switch mod done to. Any info helpful.

14. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

Not if you turn the treble right up and jump the channels. Its fine with my SG and I have used a Les Paul through it too. Make sure the bass is down too. I use it around 2.

15. Ultra GP

Ultra GP Member

Yeah definitely keep the bass around 2. With any 4-input Marshall type amp, I usually set the bass control so it only just starts having a noticeable effect.

As for settings, I've got a 50 watt 1986 from 1969, and I usually set it more or less like this.

Presence - around 7 or 8
    Bass - no higher than 2
    Middle - 7
    Treble - 7, sometimes a little higher
    Volume I - around 7 or 8
    Volume II - 0

Going through the top left input only.

I also have a 1977 super bass, but I haven't run it at high volume yet. Really nice cleans though.

winkofaneye likes this.
  16. Dubious

Dubious Member

I run a '68 Traynor YBA1 that after it fried i converted to 1986 superbass. Still running the massive hammond iron.

Amp sounds amazing. If im at home i plugin the top right, bottom right with the band.

I run the volume at 2 and typically run every other control at noon. Have it goin thru a 2x12 with WGS classic lead 80s in it.

17. gtrbarbarian

gtrbarbarian Silver Supporting Member

I just dropped into a necro-thread 9 years later to say WOW amazing playing and tone... :drool
    As I'm researching the eternal question 'JTM 45/100 vs Super Bass'...I happened into this thread

18. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

'69 model 1986 here. Marhsa, Marsha, Marsha...

gtrbarbarian likes this.
  19. gtrbarbarian

gtrbarbarian Silver Supporting Member

I'm looking for Hendrix at Monterey tones...but I'm thinking a Super Bass would overall be more genre/sonically diverse than a KT66 based 45/100...and both would get me there with a shared cathode. The main differences, other than tube type, I see are OT, and filtering... We're talking clones here....