The oldest Schecter

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by Brad Hodges, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Brad Hodges

Brad Hodges Member

A few days ago I made a post showing some old Guitars Tom Anderson has, including an old Schecter.

I didn't have the complete story until now, and I wanted to make a clarifying post about just the old Schecter.

This is an historic guitar, it was the first built by Dave Schecter using what he calls 'production' techniques. Prior to this guitar, the few that Dave had built were one off hand made affairs. This guitar's body was made with a router and a template, i.e. it was re-producable. Precise reproducibility was the secret sauce that made Schecter such a respected company during the Van Nuys years.

Dave was in L.A. temporarily and unexpectedly in 1973 for a few months. He got a job at a guitar shop called Valley Guitar. He started the guitar while working there and living in an old hotel at Laurel Canyon & Ventura. He cobbled together some kind of pin router, made a template, and built the body while sitting in the small courtyard at the hotel.

The guitar was finished in Tuscon and Dave took it with him as he travelled through Mexico and to Guatemala looking for a place to produce guitars. He landed back in LA, and that guitar hung in Red's Royal Amplifier while Dave worked there.

This guitar also had a very fat neck, while it hung at Red's a guy named Thumbs Carllile would love to come in and play it, on his lap, like a lap steel guitar. Dave describes the sound as 'huge'. One thing Dave noticed is many people who played it liked the big neck, and big fat necks became a part of the Schecter Dream machine mystique.

It was actually Dave's personal guitar, and by far the guitar he kept the longest, 5 years. It was modified during that time, it started out with humbuckers, then Dave made those giant bar magnet pickups with four taps.

The guitar ended up in Van Nuys, and Tom Anderson bought it soon after he started working for the newly formed Schecter Guitar Research. When Tom paid $300, Dave assumed he'd have to build a proper pick guard. Tom had to foresight to have him 'just leave it'.

2. Vintage_

Vintage_ Member

That's cool. I still love the vibe of their guitars. The first electric I bought with my own money was a Schecter. Went in to get a Telecaster
    and somehow that's what I came out with just with a little twist.

3. edro

edro Member

I had an old magazine (lost it somewhere several years back) with a pic of the red Schecter Strat I think put together for a show or maybe the ad waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the neck & bodies days....

Figured body and neck (maple), including the head, deep red trans finish on head, board/neck, body, with all gold hardware and guard and the block gold Schecter on the head. Simply breathtaking....

superrock likes this.
  4. HelloKittyHawk!

HelloKittyHawk! Member

Steve Lukather had a Schecter Strat that matched that description, perfectly - maybe it was his.

superrock likes this.
  5. Yamaha 1421

Yamaha 1421 Supporting Member

Old Pic....................same guitar?[​IMG]

HelloKittyHawk! likes this.
  6. Zado

Zado Member

Used for recording TOTO IV album

HelloKittyHawk! likes this.
  7. edro

edro Member

Very similar but deeper trans red end to end and gold block Schecter on head...

8. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane apolitical Silver Supporting Member

10 years ago I played in a two guitar blues band with Big Nate. He was in his twenties and stands seven foot tall. He was playing a C2, I believe, and asked me about getting it set up. I eyeballed the neck top and bottom edges, then under the strings for action. Then I did a quick harmonic vs. 12th fretted by ear for intonation.

I handed it back to him and said "This axe is set up perfectly." Schecter makes beautiful instruments. I need a Hellraiser!

9. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

The old American made Schecters were about as good as good could get......I'm not so sure about the import models.....

10. Zado

Zado Member

Schecter import models are no match for their CS stuff (which is outstanding, even nowadays). That said, price range is very different and there are no other brands offering such top hardware in that price range.