The one that got away... stories

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jempc, Feb 29, 2012.

1. jempc

jempc Member

Everyone has one.... the guitar that got away....

Mine: Had a 10?? serial number Jackson San Dimas Strat... with the old kahler trem... traded for a Ibanez when I was just looking for something new to play... I regret getting rid of that Jackson to this day...

Story has it that the guitar was supposed to be a Charvel... but they had run out of Charvel logo's.....so the Jackson logo was used....

2. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

'56 Duo Sonic for $120 at Wilcox Trading Post in Lansing, Michigan in 1977. My father said "you already have a guitar".
    That was that.

3. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

I miss Wilcox Trading Post a lot.. I used to buy quite a few guitars there over the years, and still have a pink Jackson Soloist I got from there. I think the Lansing baseball park is on the block where Wilcox used to be..

Jeff

4. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

Back in the late '70s I was gigging with a decent band but my only electric was a Guild SFIII, a great guitar but not so much for rock. A friend had a gorgeous natural-finish Strat sitting under his bed. He didn't really play so he lent it to me. I gigged with it for years and fell in love with it. I begged him to sell it to me but he always said it was a gift from his dad and he'd never part with it but I could use it indefinitely. I eventually gave it back to him. I moved away in 1980 and only saw him again recently last August. I had to ask what happened to the prized Strat. "Oh, that. I traded it for a shotgun then sold the gun for $200". :bonk

Here's a pic of the guitar from a 1978 rehearsal sitting next to my Guild F212XL which I still have. I sold the V4/VT22 about 10 years ago but I still have the pedals....and the hat.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  5. bloozetubes

bloozetubes Member

'69 Fender Strat traded for a '76 Gibson L6.

'76 L6 traded for a '78 Dean Z

'78 Z traded for an '80 BC Rich Mockingbird

'80 Mockingbird traded for '80 Travis Bean ES335 looking thingy

Charvel, Jackson, Ibanez, Robin, Gibson, Martin, Guild, Godin, Ovation, Yahama, Alverez and many, many more.....wanna do amps next

6. 66Park

66Park Member

This was back in the 1970s, and, being a poor student, I didn't have the money when these were offered to me:

65 Candy Apple Red Strat $150
    59 Natural finish ES335 $700
    Zemaitis acoustic 12 string $500

7. Sidmore

Sidmore no talent hack Silver Supporting Member

it was 1990, I was 20 and a friend who'd opened a guitar shop was offered to sell me a near pristine used white LP Standard for $500... I bought an engagement ring instead. I'm still happily married to her and I'd do it the same all over again but that'll always be the one that got away

8. David Garner

David Garner Member

In late 1999, a 1978 Les Paul in tobacco burst that was in impeccable shape and played and sounded fantastic. I walked in with the $$$ 2 days after they sold it.

9. slugworth

slugworth Supporting Member

In 1992 I was shopping in pawn shops for my first guitar. Found a 1962 surf green Strat for a pittance. My "expert" friend steered me away from it. "That thing's got a lot of miles on it," he said. I want to kill him 1000 times over.

I ended up with a MIJ "Mako" superstrat.

The only silver lining is that the Mako was bought by the dad of a kid I knew, and he has turned out to be a successful musician.

10. Lucky one

Lucky one Member

Back in the day when original bursts were $20000, a friend of mine had a guy who had no idea what it was, bring one in to the music store that he worked at. He told the guy that he knew somebody that would pay big bucks for it. He called me and told me that if I bought it, he wanted a $5000 finders fee either from the seller or me. I met the guy that evening at his lunch break at his job, told him the retail value, the finders fee etc. and he jumped on my offer of $15000 like lightning, A few months later, I sold it for $22500 so I could remodel and put siding on my hunting cabin ! I figured they would never go higher. The cabin is still only worth about what I have invested in it !!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Polyester

Polyester Member

Couple months ago I had a guy on Craigslist offer me an old guitar he had sitting in his attic. Didn't know anything at all about it, no names, no description, nothing. I said sure, threw out a random number for a random guitar. Couple hundred bucks.

Just for kicks, that same day he dropped by his local guitar shop to see if they knew anything about it. Turned out to be an all-original 1969 Strat, in OHSC, with a 1950s Fender Champ amp. In total, worth in the low five figures.

The guy informs me about this, we chat, and he says "if you had offered me $500 with that initial offer I would have sold it." :eek:

12. paulscape

paulscape Member

A K Yairi Alverez acoustic with amazing quilted top. Sold it in the last week of university to fund graduation parties. I dont regret doing that because it was worth it but miss that guitar for sure.

13. levous

levous Member

60s sg in mint condition. A friend's dad bought it new, played in a cover band. Bright it out for their 30 year high school reunion. I begged him to sell it to me. He just laughed. It's probably in his basement again or in the garage sitting in the back seat of his rotting galaxy 500 convertible.

When I was a very young man, working as a mechanic, another wrench twister needed $ for a DUI he was dealing with. He knew I played and asked if I wanted to buy a guitar project he'd been working on. He brought in a brush painted strat, in pieces, missin one pickup and having a neck that someone tried to refret with a flathead screwdriver. I bought it for about $300. I didn't know jack about vintage so I took it to the one place that did repairs and was told the neck was irrepairable. I had him bolt on a decent neck and drop a hotrails in the bridge. The neck was stored in my bedroom closet for 15 years.

Serial checks out to a '57 strat. The neck was from a '57 jazz master. The necks were identical but had a different sticker. The paint is interesting but literally brushed on. I have no idea what is underneath and whether it was sanded prior to being covered or not. I'm missing one original pickup but otherwise it is complete with a period appropriate neck though not original. It's the one that didn't get away, never will. I've thought briefly about attempting a restoration but i believe it's meant to be this way. I'm glad it's not worth 5 figures. It would be very hard not to sell if it were. It's the same creature, having been stained and frankensteined. It's my strat and there aint another like it in this world.

The neck almost got away. My dear mother decided to clean out my closet. The neck was missing when i went to retrieve it. She "couldn't remember where she put it". My dad did. He led me straight to it. She had the neck in a pile she had slated for "eBay" with a bunch or trash that had made the cut. My dad reported that an "eBay seller" had come by the house to see if he could help sell the stuff. He said, "I'm not sure I can sell most of this stuff but I think I can et something for that guitar neck, there". Apparently, she was thinking it over. She claimed it was not true but my pop doesnt know enough about ebay to makethat up. Good thing she raised me or I'd be a little ticked off ;)

14. Swantone

Swantone Member

Real deal..1960 fender strat....with a birdseye neck that would make Wayne charvel **** a donut.
    Owned it for a few weeks and sold it, for money. really, for money. Horrible idea.[​IMG]

15. sidekick

sidekick Supporting Member

Back in the mid 90's, p/ex'd my block '63 Sunburst 335 and added cash to buy a rare '60 dot cherry 335.

Money was tight and vintage 335's comparatively rare in the UK. Because I was, (then) naive enough to want the MM ears and PAF's over what I already had in the '63, in hindsight, the '63 was the better guitar.

16. stratsnboogies

stratsnboogies Senior Member

Yeah, when she told me she was pregnant I got spooked and screwed.
    When I went to see her two days later she told me to screw. Turns out she wasn't pregnant. I lost her for good though........ She got away and I never forgot about her.
    That was 37 years ago.

17. V-Type

V-Type Member

I thought those guys were absorbed by Elderly.
    I believe Stan the owner of Elderly either was an employe or hired some of them.
    I vaguely remember as most of my Instrument needs in the 70's was the ridiculous cheap Fender,Marshall and Gibsons at the many pawnshops very close too my home in the Metro D area.

I bought a 66 Fender Jag,Block inlay,bound neck variant with case for under $200 from Fort Jewelry and Loan in 78 and sold it recently too Elderly too an "artist" collector.
    Make a huge profit(I only paid $189 originally) and got a pic of the "artist" and the guitar as well as a thank you note from both parties I sold her too.
    Cool story but I so miss that guitar.
    I hate too say it about the old girl but if you were a shredder then this neck would have felt like the Holy Grail.
    It was Super Fast and as perfect as I ever played.

18. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

Mid 80's, i was in the Marines, stationed in NC. The guitarist (John Hayes?) in one of the bands (PG-13) that used to come through the area had a baby blue Jackson soloist. One time the band came through, and i saw he had a new red Jackson as well- i asked him if he would sell me the blue one. He said sure.
    But it was a weekend, my bank was closed, i could only withdraw $300 max from the ATM, so i couldn't get the money together before they left town...

19. Patrick2

Patrick2 Member

Guitar Show last year in Phila (King of Prussia) PA. Saw a 2007 Custom Shop R9 Brock Burst replica. Had a top on it that I spotted from across the room. Lake Shore Guitars was selling it for $4,500. It was Saturday, the first day of a 2 day show. I decided to pass on the guitar. As I was driving home to Toms River, NJ, the guitar was killing me!! I call the number on his business card, which I had taken from the booth. It was to his home up in Rochester NY, not his cellular. His wife answered. I told her the story and told her I wanted the guitar, that I would drive back the next day, Sunday with the cash. She said she would call his cell phone and call me right back. When she called me back, she told me that he just sold the guitar 10 minutes ago to a friend who was working the show with him. Two day later, is friend called me back and asked if I wanted to buy the guitar for $5,000. We settled on $4,800. BUT . . I had to drive 5 hours to Rochester to get the guitar. My indecisiveness cost me $300 more for the guitar, 10 hours of my life to drive to Rochester and about $150 gas and tolls. But, I got this gorgeous 2007 R9 Brock (Bourbon) Burst!!

[​IMG]

20. lonniedarko

lonniedarko Member

[​IMG]

The CIJ Fender Telecaster Thinline '72 Reissue hanging on the right. I sold her a few years ago because I stopped using her after I bought the Fender Jazzmaster hanging in the middle. Though nothing can ever replace my Jazzmaster, I deeply regret selling the Thinline. She played great and sounded beautiful.

I actually know the guy I sold her to, he doesn't live all that far from my house either. I've been thinking about e-mailing him asking if he would consider selling it back to me, but I don't know if it's the right thing to do...