The One That Got Away!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gitpicker, Oct 29, 2005.

1. gitpicker

gitpicker Member

I have been very interested in a few recent posts ("Your favorite pedal that you will never sell" for example). Sometimes you can learn more about what someone really thinks about a pedal when it is compared to others, as opposed to a vague description of its tone (ie - "organic", I mean really, I understand that "organic" could be construed to be the opposite of "sterile", but what exactly does "organic" sound like!?)

With all of this in mind, here is my question...

Name a pedal that you owned and then sold to try out others. Then, after awhile, you realized that that pedal was your personal "Holy Grail" and so you had to go buy another (or are in the process of skipping meals so that you can amass enough jack to get it!). I am talking about a pedal (of any kind) that you realized after it was gone you couldn't live without, kicked yourself in the ass for stupidly selling it, and vowed to never let the next one go! Make sure to list the other pedals that you tried out to take its place in the process!

On a personal note, I have had a massive GAS attack these last 9 months or so (I have bought and sold about 3 dozen pedals in that time). I am now building my pedalboard back up with those units that really worked for me. Hopefully, once it gets done, I can sit back for awhile and just enjoy playing (AND putting my money in the bank instead of into little metal boxes with funky paint jobs and various knobs) knowing that I have played the field and I can have some confidence that my pedalboard rocks!

Here are two pedals that I just had to re-acquire:

Fulltone ChoralFlange - first of a line of chorus pedals purchased, which included - Analogman Clone Chorus - DLS Chorus VIb - Ibanez CS-9 - Keeley modded Boss CE-2 - Maxon Pro Chorus. Sold all the rest and bought another CF.

Analogman Juicer - another first in a line of compressors purchased that included an old Ibanez 9 series compressor - Janglebox - Dyna Comp - a cheap Dan Electro (can't remember its funky name). Sold all and bought another Juicer.

2. covert

covert Member

I don't think there's anything I'd sell my soul to posess again. Here are a few that I wish I'd kept, over the years. Mainly they seem cool in memory.

Foxx tone machine
    Maestro fuzz
    original MXR Dist+
    MuTron phasor (not biphase or phasor II)

3. cvansickle

cvansickle Member

I once had a Whirlwind Commander pedal. It was a clean booster with a built-in effects loop. It had outputs for both amp and PA, and could also be used a direct box.

I used it as part of a trade on something. A few years later, I had a use for it, and of course it was discontinued. Losing this pedal has led to my current gear mantra:

Never part with any piece of gear ever. You will always regret it.

James likes this.
  4. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

If only...trouble is, a lot of gear acquisition dictates first unloading something. But yeah, if I still had everything from jr high / high school that I started on, it would be quite a neat little pile of stuff.

5. DK207

DK207 Member

Boss Ph-1r - although I got 2x what I paid for it when I sold it on ebay, I miss it! It was a great phaser. Maybe I'll biuld the BYOC phaser and check it out.

6. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

After trading a nice JMP master volume Marshall for a then new JCM 800, and trading a '70 Les Paul Custom for a bunch of rack gear, I don't sell or trade anything off without realllllyyy careful consideration.

7. MojoHand

MojoHand Supporting Member

Fulltone Soul Bender. I sold it even though I liked it. I wanted the money for some other piece of gear (forget what) and my rationalization was that I hardly ever used it. Once it was gone, though, I missed it. When I need it, I need it. Nothing else sounds quite the same. I have a Keeley Fuzz Head and an Analogman Sun Face. Both are great pedals in their own right, but neither can do exactly what the Soul Bender does. I haven't replaced it yet, but I will.

8. forestryguy

forestryguy Member

A while back I bought a used Boss DD-20 from someone on this board. Before he sent it he changed his mind about keeping it and sent a brand new one to me!

9. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

Pedalman Pro 818 . . .stupid . . .stupid !!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

TS-9...Had an Analogman Brown mod, sold it and got other ODs and clean boosts including Twin 60, Eternity, and Timmy and then went back to the TS-9. Tried an Analogman Silver but am most satisfied with the Keeley. It really wasn't that my first TS-9 had any problems but I just didn't really know what I was looking for and now I have a few pedals that work great with it and before I didn't.

11. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I have found that I don't NEED any pedal, and have yet to second guess myself on any decision to sell one. If it sold there was a reason for it and no need to look back with rose colored glasses. Despite the hoopla surrounding "boutique" pedals, they are just pedals. The only regrets I have are of selling some just before they got really valuable and not making as much money as I could have, and even that isn't very important to me, as I don't spend too large a percentage of my income on these things. Still I love some pedals and they have their uses. I have actually tried to sell certain favorite pedals, only to have them miraculously not sell. This gave me a chance to collect my wits. I've really been lucky that way. I actually ebayed my Blackstone on a 7 day auction once. I had a reasonable reserve, and as I recall a couple others sold during that same time. But mine didn't. Pheww. That was a close one. Don't know what I was thinking. That is my favorite non-fuzz pedal by a mile. If it had sold it would have definately made the list. I don't NEED it but I sure enjoy it. I would have replaced it.

12. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Funny this should come up now. My OD pedal search is the one condition of GAS that has actually made me money. I've been lucky enough to "get in on the ground floor" of several various pedals over the last few years that ended up with astronomically elevated Ebay prices. However, after buying and selling them all...I've only kept two: Timmy and Hellbilly (which could both fetch a profit themselves!).
    And the one that started it all, the one I should never have sold, and the one that should be on my doorstep any day now, is:

drumroll

oh...this is all so exciting!

You know...it doesn't get a lot of praise on this board, and I can't figure out why. It is the most solidly built of any I have tried, and sounds every bit as good as those I have sold for large profits. The builder has just as great a reputation for knowledge and service as anybody in the biz...so what's the deal?

Can't wait to get my hands on it again!

A

13. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

OH yea..that'd be the Foxrox ZIM. :)
    A

14. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

Ha! I actually guessed that one. I've had a few Foxrox revelations myself! ;)

15. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

Never had a problem selling pedals. they are accessories to me, I have more of an issue with selling amps.