• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

The one type of guitar that you've never liked or had any GAS for?

Drongo

I've never had guitar acquisition syndrome.
I just see a guitar, try it and if i really like the sound and it's in my budget, I buy it.
Ironically, considering the acronym was first thought up of as some kind of funny joke, I think it really is a sickness and I thoroughly recommend people talk to a professional about these and/or other obsessive behaviors..why? because you will end up with a roomful of stuff that takes up a whole room, costs you ridiculous money and gets you nowhere, basically it's unhealthy behavior.
Don't take this post the wrong way, it might be good advice.

the_Chris

It's All Been Done Before
Silver Supporting Member
Jaguars, Jazzmasters - just not my thing.

Superstrats, shred guitars, most BC Rich shapes, etc. - hard passes.

Ozzie31220

Rics, though I don't hate them. Just never wanted one.
Ovation acoustics (fricken ugly and sound like crap to me.)
Teles with f-holes.
Most super Strats, though I do like some.
7+ stringed electrics.
Dreadnought acoustics.
Cutaway flamenco or classical guitars.
Most anything with a Floyd Rose.

Ryan x Decent

Pretty much any "strat shape" guitar that's not a somewhat classic looking Strat. Also anything headless and/or multiscale.

Alan Dunn

I'm pretty much open to anything if it plays / sounds good and is well constructed.
If we are talking pure aesthetics then the SG isn't doing much for me - but they play great.

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member
Plenty:

Gretsch
PRS
Ibanez, Yamaha, BC Rich, Godin, etc
Fender offsets
super Strats
Flying V

I pretty much only like:

LPs, SGs, 335s, Explorers
Strats, Teles (but not that much)

LPs are where it’s at, for me.

ProfRhino

oh, there are many ! :dunno

in no particular order, incomplete :
  • nylon strings
  • jazz boxes with flatwounds & wound G
  • metallic ones, pointy, hot, floyded, kahlerized ...
  • '70s "thick skin" Fenders
  • anything artificially pre-ruined - yuck ! :facepalm
  • used but not abused is perfectly fine with me, as long as the scars are natural
  • not a total deal breaker, but white & black are so boring ...
unfortunately that still leaves 3.984 million guitars to GAS for ... :drool

lol, fully subjective, but honest,
Rhino

I've had examples of all of these over the years (no relics though), and learned they are simply not my thing - ymmv, sue me ! :D

GreatSatan

standard strats with sc bridges. I've had two in my possession (bought by other ppl) and i've never liked anything about them; the tone, the noise, the tuning instability, the way they look, etc.

Surfreak

I see guitars as women, I love them all, and they all have so many beautiful sides to them.

But like that well known strip club, "100 beautiful girls and 3 ugly ones", Rics would be the 3 ugly ones for me.

DrChrisE

There are a lot of guitars that I've grown to like over time but I've never had a thing for Gibson SGs - they look ugly to me.
They look like the Bat Guitar with those pointy cutaways? Keep expecting the Bat Mobile to show up any minute....

Last edited:

Warkli

Flying V is the most iconic ugly guitar to me. Never imagined myself playing one. I don't like other spiky metal guitars either.
I never had a gas for SG's too because I don't like the shape but I actually love the sound and the comfort they provide.

GiorgioV

Of the "big ones" I've never really considered a superstrat. Skinny necks are a no-no for me and I don't gel with the look.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom