The ONLY EVH thread on TGP right now

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by muzishun, Apr 17, 2015.

1. muzishun

muzishun Member

And that matters.

2. hansgruber

hansgruber Member

3. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

EVH, the fake flamenco hack? :D

4. muzishun

muzishun Member

Boom!

5. muzishun

muzishun Member

Would we want him to be a great flamenco...ist?

6. hansgruber

hansgruber Member

Mike was the most important member of the band...and is a class act...:hide why are we still talking about the hack?

7. Bogner

Bogner Member

8. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

He used lead paint on his guitar which is the secret to his Brown Sound

9. 55goldtop

55goldtop Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Some years back, me and my friends went into the guitar Center on Sunset Boulevard in California. We went to the vintage room in the back, and there was Eddie and his son checking out a Les Paul Junior. His son was playing it, and Eddie was commenting that the guitar needed a locking trem and that system wasn't very good on that guitar. We talked to him for a bit, and he kind of smelled like alcohol. He was funny, and a little bit aggressive in responses. He wished us a happy holiday because it was near Christmas, and went out to a lunatic scene with a bunch of people clamoring over him out in the main area. He ended up posing with a bunch of people for pictures including us, although our picture didn't come out: it was on a film camera and for some reason it was just a blurry mess. He and his son departed and got into a limousine outside- and that's my official Van Halen story for this thread.

Edit: oh yeah! I got to shake his hand!

10. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

11. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

Has anyone mentioned that his style has a "swing" that's hard to master?

12. JohnnyGtar

JohnnyGtar Member

The REAL 'secret' of the brown sound.

Ed lied about potting his pickups in hot wax. He actually had a very different idea one day while roller skating at Venice Beach. "I had been trying to find a way to get around the fact that the wire used to wind pickups is insulated. I wanted the electricity in the pickup to be able to touch itself more, y'know? I looked at the Pacific ocean and I go "Whoa, that's it!". I ran to the beach emptying my canteen at the same time. I filled up the canteen with water from the ocean. Then I told Al, "We gotta go home right now. I think I figured out how to get the sound I hear in my head!" So, we did. I poured the seawater into an old coffee can and dunked my favorite PAF in it. See, the seawater eats the insulation off the wire so the electricity can touch itself more, and then the corroded wire gives a different sound. The trick is corrosion from SEAWATER. I tried it with another pickup with a bunch of table salt and tap water, but that ruined the sound. Seawater is the way to get the brown sound. I'm honored that so many people like it!"

13. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

Nah, the real secret us potting your pickups, in ear wax.

14. JohnnyGtar

JohnnyGtar Member

Ed once potted a pickup in vinegar. That's the one he used on Fair Warning.

15. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Ed was the total deal! A major splash in the Rock and Roll pond. :bow

What I thought he did over the top was:

Tone

Tone
    Tone
    Tone

Did I mention he had some of the best guitar tone ever when that first album hit? :confused: Ted Templeton was part of getting that tone onto vinyl!! Thanks Ted, good job even though Eddie didn't like the stereo panning.

Timing! The best timing I've heard, it's like he knew exactly where he was through all that crazy off the wall playing on those early albums! I think growing up with a drumming brother was huge!! They knew how to read each other perfectly, and Mike Anthony was right there with them.

Some really unique runs, riffs and cool effects with the harmonics and whammy bar. No one else was doing it.... or doing it effectively like he was :red no one!

I don't care about the tapping or whatever, yeah I guess it was cool, but just his normal rhythm playing with all the tasty fills is what really grabbed me. :love:

Really, you can use any musician as a source of inspiration. To see how far or how off the cuff someone can play a guitar is interesting and a cool thing even if you don't care for their style. To relentlessly bash any one artist is kind of mental and says bad stuff about your insecurity. So what you do is find someone who inspires you and then run with it ... learn from them and be glad you have a great mentor. Take bits and pieces from different pros and them make them your own.
    EVH, Pete Townsend, and Paul McCartney are (I'm proud to say) my musical Mentors! :love:

Thank you, that will be all. :red

16. KHAN

KHAN Member

[​IMG]

17. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

18. Blix

Blix Supporting Member