The ONLY John Mayer thread on TGP part II.

tapeworm

Supporting Member

His rhythm is insane I've been trying to play this song for 4 years, and I cannot play it for the life of me.
That always struck me as a gift. The way he plays and sings effortlessly at the same time while even playing the most intricate rhythms. This dude really is just channeling the music inside of him through his hands and the guitar.

scottl

I can be quite critical of the pandering fanbois and their JM is the best blues player nonsense, however,

I do agree that Neon is not only a great tune, but it takes a lot of talent to play rhythm like that even with no singing. Add the singing and it is superb. Talented cat for sure!

Now to hip you all to another guitarist with (in my opinion) has more advanced rhythm and the ability to sing (not as well as JM though) at the same time, I give you Robben Ford. One of the best rhythm guitarists I have seen and he can do it all while singing. Lest we forget his ridiculous soloing ability.

Last edited:

urizen

Silver Supporting Member
So does this mean any and all John Mayer material, comments, idolatry, panegyrics, vituperations, screeds, manifestoes, et ceterati will go into this thread?

T92780

Silver Supporting Member
I can be quite critical of the pandering fanbois and their JM is the best blues player nonsense, however,

I do agree that Neon is not only a great tune, but it takes a lot of talent to play rhythm like that even with no singing. Add the singing and it is superb. Talented cat for sure!

Now to hip you all to another guitarist with (in my opinion) has more advanced rhythm and the ability to sing (not as well as JM though) at the same time, I give you Robben Ford. One of the best rhythm guitarists I have seen and he can do it all while singing. Lest we forget his ridiculous soloing ability.
First; Robben is great.
Second; I never heard him remotely come close to playing something as intricate as Neon while singing.....please post a complete song where he does and sings.... hopefully not a 12-bar blues based tune with clever uses of 13ths, etc to jazzy it up a bit.
Third; Robben is great.

scottl

Neon is not that difficult to play. It is crazy to sing and play it. On the other hand, Robben's comping is crazy good. His rhythmic placement is extremely advanced to the point most can't even cop his rhythm work. And he does it while singing.

I guess in my opinion.....

First; Robben is great.
Second; I never heard him remotely come close to playing something as intricate as Neon while singing.....please post a complete song where he does and sings.... hopefully not a 12-bar blues based tune with clever uses of 13ths, etc to jazzy it up a bit.
Third; Robben is great.

Gasp100

Supporting Member
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKEEpTAlBXk">YouTube Link</a> His rhythm is insane I've been trying to play this song for 4 years, and I cannot play it for the life of me.
That was great...
EDIT: this thread forced me to start learning NEON... ain't that easy!

Last edited:

FCSNut

First; Robben is great.
Third; Robben is great.
I agree with this... Although, playing and singing it is a matter of practice not a born talent. Writing it however, is amazing. I love Robben but he's never written anything this good. I think he could be my fav blues soloist and rhythm guitarist, technically. There's still that overtone of "brain playing" instead of playing as a songwriter.

T92780

Silver Supporting Member
:bumpbump

10-Year Anniversary to As/Is July 16, 2004 Mountain View, CA Show!

This show and his other As/Is recordings/albums available on Spotify, etc are some of my favorite JM stuff to go back and listen to... when in the JM mood.

traviswalk

In the Great State
Gold Supporting Member
Mayer fans should definitely get the Tribute to JJ Cale album, three great tracks on there with a lot of Mayer. The rest of the album is terrific, but a must for a big Mayer fan. The whole album is a workshop in great clean tones.

Trending Topics