The ONLY John Mayer thread on TGP part II.

Simto

Wow, awesome he had Jimmie Vaughan with the Trio!!!

Damn, I bought a fiesta red body to swap it out on my green Mayer Sig strat because I wanted to be different, and now he's playing a Fiesta red strat...... lol

Wibcs39

ok , i'll give it another try/listen

can you name me the top 3 songs with good guitar/solo on that album ?
Helpless, Changes and Rosie all have excellent solos, all with very different tones/approaches.

I also think Still Feel Like your Man and Moving on and Getting Over have great guitar parts and are arranged very creatively with layers of parts woven together.

TheWayfarer84

Supporting Member
You must be hearing a different Search for Everything album than me...I hear tons of awesome guitar playing all over it.
It's a grow on you album. Definitely not as "grab you by the collar" as continuum was. Nonetheless, very rich musically. I'm still warming up to post-blues gun slinger JM myself.

JK47

Search for Everything is all right, but it doesn't have a "Shadow Days" or "Lost
It's a grow on you album. Definitely not as "grab you by the collar" as continuum was. Nonetheless, very rich musically. I'm still warming up to post-blues gun slinger JM myself.
Lyrically, it's not his best work...he's getting dangerously close to "Repeat Stuff" territory

Wibcs39

Hm this is an interesting perspective. If you see him live on his solo tour, he rips it up on guitar the whole night including many extended jams and solos. With Dead and Co. obviously he is given tons of room to tear it up. I don't recall any of his studio albums (even Continuum) to have much in the way of "gun slinging". I'd say he is doing more pure guitar playing and stretching out than ever before, but that aspect of him has rarely been on display on his solo studio albums.

TheWayfarer84

Supporting Member
I still think the showstoppers take place during continuum era songs. Gravity, Slow Dancing, Belief - but I also haven't seen a lot of the newer stuff live, so I'm commenting with one hand tied behind my back.

PedalFreak

Supporting Member
If he did more "Born and Raised" I'd say he's hitting it on the song writing level, that album is truly amazing from the music and lyric standpoint. Queen of California and Walt Grace might be his high water mark too date.
B&R and Paradise Valley are probably my top albums of his, followed by Continuum. Walt Grace is a brilliant song. Would love to hear a song that tops that one, because it would have to be so good!

2020jan08

Supporting Member
From show I went to, solos a bunch on this new tune live.

That was really good! (I just need to stop listening to interviews with him - just can't stand his "persona". But as an artist, musician and guitarist, he really is incredible. No doubt about it.)

Mike Lenning

Silver Supporting Member
This is the best version we've seen of him so far, IMO. He seems to carry himself differently and is in a great spot as far as his career is going.

saneff

Silver Supporting Member
Anybody else go to the Charlotte show Tuesday? I went because my 15 year old daughter is a huge fan of Mayer. But I am also a fan to some degree. I had a lot of respect for Mayer as a guitar player and as a songwriter. Talented guy, no way around it.

it was a fantastic show. Mayer was terrific, and I was glad they had the big screens up there that often showed close ups of his hands while playing. Dude knows some music theory, no doubt about that. What a player that guy is. But he didn't IMO make it a show off concert, and he seemed to be a much more humble guy and he didn't come across as taking himself seriously at all. I definitely came away liking him more than I did before having gone to his concert.

Also, that band of his is SMOKIN. There can't be a better rhythm section on earth than those two guys.

GeorgiaSam77

Heard an interview that John wants to release this tour on video. Not sure if it'll be a full concert, or a compilation, but he said the same thing. That this band is so good that he wants it documented.
I'll be seeing him on the 27th. Show me a band with a better groove than Steve Jordan and Pino. One of my favorite things about Mayers playing is his groove. He's got one of the best right hands ever, the way he can lay down grooves is just astonishing. He talked about it in one of his instagram/guitar lessons things he does. He said if you can develope a good/rhythmic right hand you can play electric guitar all night without a band and sound good.

Trending Topics