The ONLY John Mayer thread on TGP part II.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by olimassaquoi, Jul 2, 2014.

1. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

i went twice in the spring. going tonight in camden. he's definitely added a few songs into the rotation that he wasn't doing live yet back in the spring... most notably in the blood and rosie.

i loved this album when i first heard it... and the more i've listened to it... i like it even more.

i feel like a lot of his stuff grows on you. i could say the same thing thing about born and raised and paradise valley. when those two came out i was just kinda... ehh... ok... these are good... but i wish there was more guitar playing. well.. the more i listen to those two albums... they are genius... they are both in regular rotation... and albums i'll listen to from start to finish. that doesn't happy with much new music.

it also helps once you get to know the words to his songs. i think the way he finds interesting and appropriate guitar tones to match the mood of his songs is part of why we keep coming back for more.

Me Again likes this.
  2. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

How old is Pino? He is so funky.

3. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Soon to be 60.

4. monty

monty Member

Jeez I had no idea he was 60. And yeah Pino rules!

5. monty

monty Member

Hope he does the vid. WTLI was fantastic but I'm getting burned out on it.

68dripedge likes this.
  6. 68dripedge

68dripedge Member

That version of Out of my Mind is soooo good.

monty likes this.
  7. boldaslove1977

Great show in Camden (Philly) last night. Played 7 songs from the new album, plus at least one song from every other album.

Highlight for me was Covered in Rain, which he doesn't play all that often and I've never seen. There was a torrential downpour right up until the show started, so it made sense. That's the song that really turned me into a fan back in 2002... when I said.. "oh this singer guy can really play!" Finally got to see Edge of Desire and LA Song live. Also was worth going again to see Rosie and In the Blood, which he wasn't playing yet on the first leg of the tour.

I'm going to guess that PRS was in the building last night... he lives just a couple hours away.. and on several songs John used a red PRS model where he'd normally use a Strat... including 2 of the trio songs. He also used the PRS on Edge of Desire... he typically uses an SG on that song.

So he used his 64, SRV sig, the black one, the PRS proto, his main Dead & Company PRS Eagle, a red PRS, and a strat I've never seen.. i think it was sea foam green but i'm not positive. Had some good wear on it. Would love to know more about that guitar. And he used several of his Martin acoustics... his acoustic sound is just killer. I think we guitar geeks tend to look past that to focus on the electric toys.

Also... the difference in tone between guitars wasn't nearly as noticeable last night as it was at the 2 arena shows i saw this tour. Guessing the outdoor element has something to do with that.

A couple of fun moments...

He launched into Dead & Co mode at the end of Queen of California... and dipped into the licks he'd normally use on Scarlet Begonias. Very cool. He also played the main lick of Miss You in his solo on Helpless, which is basically his take on that song anyway.

A girl in the front had signs for like 10 different songs. He made her show them all... one was for Heart of Life. He played one verse and chorus of it... and it was clear that's not in their current rotation... he was concentrating, and looking at the neck more on that song than anything else he did all night. He had that "don't mess this up" look on his face. DRH was the only guy who jumped in.. he was in the band when that song was new.

He also played a verse/chorus of Motley Crue's Home Sweet Home before he did You're Gonna Live Forever in Me... and pointed out that half the crowd probably didn't know what it was. Kinda funny to think about that.

Anyway... great set list.. something for everyone... with several rare songs thrown in.

(Full Band)
    Helpless
    Queen Of California
    Covered In Rain
    Love On The Weekend
    Rosie
    Why Georgia (first half)
    No Such Thing
    Why Georgia (second half)

(Acoustic)
    In Your Atmosphere
    Daughters
    Free Falling

(John Mayer Trio)
    Crossroads
    I Got A Woman
    Who Did You Think I Was

(Full Band)
    Still Feel Like Your Man
    In The Blood
    Slow Dancing In A Burning Room
    Edge Of Desire
    The Heart Of Life
    Dear Marie

(Encore)
    Moving On And Getting Over
    Gravity

Home Sweet Home
    You're Gonna Live Forever in Me

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  8. Simto

Simto Member

Edge of Desire AND Covered in Rain

That's a SICK setlist right there!

The only thing I'd change is take Gravity out. I don't really need to hear that one anymore hehe

GeorgiaSam77 likes this.
  9. james...

james... Supporting Member

Gravity will pretty much always be on the setlist, and he's said so. It's his signature song. Everyone expects to hear it.

Might as well be like Don Maclean singing American Pie as far as his fans are concerned.

10. boldaslove1977

yup... i was really excited to hear both of those. he tweeted a couple hours before the show, asking what he should play. i was one of the first replies... said my wife wanted to hear edge of desire... it's her favorite... and i've never heard it live. so now my wife thinks JM listens to me.

and i'm fine with gravity every show. i said to the wife last night... that's become to him what take it easy is to the eagles... or born to run is to bruce... or as @james... said above... american pie to don mclean. that's his signature. he can't not play it.

it seems slow dancing isn't far behind. that is on far more set lists than not. that's another one i want to hear every show. the big end solo never comes out quite the same.

GeorgiaSam77 likes this.
  11. saneff

saneff Gold Supporting Member

Wait what??? He's 60? I swear I was thinking at the concert how accomplished that guy is to be so young. We had great seats. He looked 40. I should have been a drummer.

GeorgiaSam77 likes this.
  12. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Check this from 1982!!

boldaslove1977 likes this.
  13. Bluesful

Covered In Rain is a great tune.

Cool to see he pulled it out again.

GeorgiaSam77 and boldaslove1977 like this.
  14. GeorgiaSam77

GeorgiaSam77 Member

Just got back from the Darien Lake show. Saw John with the Dead at Blossom earlier this summer. Both shows will be shows I remember for the rest of my life.

Highlights were when he teased China Cat Sunflower when starting Something Like Olivia which is just awesome. He also stopped midway through Your Body is a Wonderland to make fun of himself. He said he knows everyone sings along to that song ironically and it's like looking back at an old corny haircut. Love how humble he's become lately.

The trio played a crazy fast version of Crossroads and Everyday I have the blues. His tone with those Prs 594s is just nasty. His band is just stupid good. Pino, Jordan, and Isah Sharkey are just in a different world talent wise.

I'll continue to look forward to his shows every year.

EricPeterson and monty like this.
  15. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

pino and steve are the true true motherf*ckers
    top of the bad assery
    i'm sure john is as grateful for them
    locking it down and bumping the room
    as they are for him
    kicking the songs and the crowd and their careers
    into superstar city

16. GeorgiaSam77

GeorgiaSam77 Member

Cool moment from last night John and Steve switched instruments for Rosie

17. JK47

JK47 Member

I wonder why Shadow Days doesn't get much play live.

18. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Going to the show in Chicago on Saturday. Have pretty good seats. Looking forward to it. He was fantastic back in the spring.

GeorgiaSam77 likes this.
  19. Bluesful

Good call.

That's one of my favourites on B&R.

JK47 likes this.
  20. boldaslove1977