The ONLY John Mayer thread on TGP part II.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by olimassaquoi, Jul 2, 2014.

1. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

Seems the Born and Raised stuff is one song per show. That album is a total gem, deserves far more set time imho

2. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

For those that have seen this tour, is there an opening band or is it all John Mayer?

3. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

For a big part of the tour the opening band is The Night Game, who really surprised me with how good they were and how well they performed. Kind of like The Killers with a better lead singer. Looks like the recent shows have a group called Dawes.

4. monty

monty Member

When I seen him in April , The Record Company opened. They were awesome.
    Last night The Dawes opened, I'm not really into them so I hung around outside till Mayer took the stage.

5. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

I checked Dawes is the opening group Sunday night. Very excited for the show.

6. Creighton

Creighton Supporting Member

I've never understood why his playing/soloing is so incredibly restrained on his studio albums compared to his live show. I get that he wants to make song focused pop albums, but the guy peels off licks and phrases unlike anyone I've ever heard, I'd think that he'd want to put at least a smidge of that fire into a song or two on each of his studio recordings. He posted some instagram videos of some great sounding solos during the recording of Search for Everything which had me hyped for the album. Album comes out, those solos are nowhere to be found.

Bluesful likes this.
  7. Wibcs39

Wibcs39 Member

I think he purposely was posting videos of solos he wasn't going to include, not actual takes that were making the cut. Either way, I still hear plenty of great lead playing all over the new album. However, as a player, I'm also just as impressed by his rhythm playing, sense of timing, and ability to arrange numerous guitar parts together creatively in ways that are very musical. Some of his understated moments are every bit as impressive as his more chops-heavy moments.

playsarobin, Me Again and monty like this.
  8. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Almost like he needs a record like Play that Brad Paisley did (a guitar based record).

monty likes this.
  9. monty

monty Member

Side note( and not guitar related)
    He did Never on the day you leave for the first time last night! He did it as the encore. Sounded so good I thought maybe it was canned at first but there were a couple small clams later in the tune.

boldaslove1977 likes this.
  10. Bluesful

Was he playing piano?

11. playsarobin

playsarobin Results. Not excuses.

I believe the album TRY! Covers that, based on comments he's made about the album. He wanted to "do it" if I remember correctly, and that was simply putting out a straight up blues guitar record with a dynamic rhythm section.

The guy has amazed me since the first time my wife and I saw him back in the early 2000s. Every album is something special for a different reason. Definitely a snapshot in time and where he was musically, and in several cases, musically.

Born and raised/continuum. Those are tops for me, and I laughed when he called B&R his lost record. I get it, but it's such a beautiful album that I wish it had more exposure. Maybe not...

I was thoroughly surprised at how much the search for everything has grown on me, and even more surprised at how great this tours live show was. Best tour since the houston '08 show, I believe.

12. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

i hear you... but the best instagram video he posted is actually on the fadeout to the album version helpless... but he actually plays it live. it's almost like he was trolling us with that video!

13. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

yes he was playing piano. just him. nowhere to hide. and yes there is a clam or two. and it's still gold.

for those not up to speed on this... he said he wouldn't play this song because he knew he wouldn't be able to get through it without crying. it's clearly about katy perry. for whatever reason, he decided to play it last night. tour is almost over. i guess he figured it's now or never.

well... he got through it... but you could tell it was emotional.

he completely skipped one of the "no it's never, never on the day you leave" lines at the end of a verse.

and then look at the face he makes at 1:52. that's the face a guitar player makes when they are playing piano and their hands get tangled up. OOOOOHHHHH.... CRAAAAAAPPPPP..... WAAAAAAIT..... GOT IT!!!!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    monty and Bluesful like this.
  14. monty

monty Member

Yep!

15. Jonathan31

Jonathan31 Member

I think his restraint shows his maturity as a musician.

16. monty

monty Member

Didnt know he said he wasnt going to play it. So glad we stayed for it, we were thinking of leaving to get a bit ahead of traffic figuring he was going to do You're gonna live for the last tune like he did when we saw him a few months back.
    Thanks for the vid!
    PS- hope it didnt sound like I was nitpicking about the clams, just the piano sounded so good I was thinking maybe it was a backing track.

17. P_brick5

P_brick5 Member

Any idea what Fender combo he was running last night? Looked like he had the 2 PRS's with the cream Fender and a head on top of it in the middle..

18. monty

monty Member

Sorry I had a angle where the view was great except for the amps.

19. Bluesful

I assume it would have been the Dual Professional?

20. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Just got back from the Chicago show. Mind = blown again. Just an amazing show. He was firing on all cylinders tonight. Band was tight, sound was spot on. The Trio is the highlight of the show for me. So happy to hear "Good Love Is On The Way." That's a favorite for me. Mostly Strats tonight. Two different PRS guitars came out for a few songs. Super Eagle and another one - not sure the model. Everything sounded great. Didn't hurt that I had 12th row seats in the center section as well!

monty likes this.