The ONLY John Mayer thread on TGP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empros

Seriously? This is just silly, he has tons of signature gear that sells really well, this is a site devoted to guitarists and there is an active thread about him pretty much weekly, there are actually 3-4 active threads about him currently or in the last couple days. Invites to the Crossroads guitar festival every year it is put on, showcased at industry awards shows for guitar playing, teams up with other guitar players for guests spots. Go check out youtube videos, tons of people teaching how to play his songs, using slow dancing to demo gear, etc. Plenty of guitarists look up to him.
Sure, but let me be more specific to what I was going for... I challenge you to find a single guitarist under 25 that looks up to him at all like they do Hendrix, Page, Iommi, Rhoads, etc. Heck, I didn't even know the guy was a decent guitarist until I joined this forum. I'm just saying, he's not that well known as a "legend" gutarist. Just my opinion. And I'm no way saying he's a poor guitarist, the guy can play for sure.

EricPeterson

Sure, but let me be more specific to what I was going for... I challenge you to find a single guitarist under 25 that looks up to him at all like they do Hendrix, Page, Iommi, Rhoads, etc. Heck, I didn't even know the guy was a decent guitarist until I joined this forum. I'm just saying, he's not that well known as a "legend" gutarist. Just my opinion. And I'm no way saying he's a poor guitarist, the guy can play for sure.
How many 25 year olds do you know?

There are lot of them out there. I think it is fair to say he is not on the level of some of the other guys you have listed, but to say "no one" is way off the mark, there are a lot of players that look up to him.

Obviously there are a lot of guitarists on this forum that look up to him, you seem to even admit as much.

I hate this "Who is the best" "who is a legend" etc. I don't give a ****, either you like the music, or you don't.

2HBStrat

Sure, but let me be more specific to what I was going for... I challenge you to find a single guitarist under 25 that looks up to him at all like they do Hendrix, Page, Iommi, Rhoads, etc.......
All the guitarists that you mentioned are old, dead, or no longer active. If guitarists under 25 still look up to these players (and how do you know that they do?) do they look up to ANY contemporary guitarists? Who? I'm just asking.

FWIW all the sax players that I look up to (John Coltrane, Pharoah Sanders, Ornette Coleman, Sonny Rollins) are not contemporary, either.

Empros

How many 25 year olds do you know?

There are lot of them out there. I think it is fair to say he is not on the level of some of the other guys you have listed, but to say "no one" is way off the mark, there are a lot of players that look up to him.

Obviously there are a lot of guitarists on this forum that look up to him, you seem to even admit as much.

I hate this "Who is the best" "who is a legend" etc. I don't give a ****, either you like the music, or you don't.
Being under 25 myself, quite a few :)
I hate the who is the best/legend thing as well. I'm not a fan of his music but it'd be hard to argue he's not a great player. I'm just arguing that he's really not as popular as a guitarist as a legend should be.

All the guitarists that you mentioned are old, dead, or no longer active. If guitarists under 25 still look up to these players (and how do you know that they do?) do they look up to ANY contemporary guitarists? Who? I'm just asking.

FWIW all the sax players that I look up to (John Coltrane, Pharoah Sanders, Ornette Coleman, Sonny Rollins) are not contemporary, either.
Josh Homme, Matt Bellamy, Tom Morello, Jonny Greenwood, John Frusciante. Dan Auerbach and Jack White too, but I know how TGP feels about them :)
Again, I know they look up to those guys because I am under 25. Even if they don't look up to Hendrix/Page, etc. there's a respect there for those guys. Mayer doesn't have that, just my opinion.

EricPeterson

I am under 25. Even if they don't look up to Hendrix/Page, etc. there's a respect there for those guys. Mayer doesn't have that, just my opinion.
Interesting, when I was in college you couldn't swing a dead cat and not hit a guitarist playing mayer tunes. I am 29, he was getting huge when I was starting college though, his last couple albums have not been as popular with the younger crowds perhaps.

Polynitro

you can tell hes a TGPer

-thinks stella artios is good beer
-only drinks wine that costs more than $30 a bottle

there are plenty of good wines in the $20-30 range

bforest4

Silver Supporting Member
I liked him better as a guitar player and songwriter when he was an acoustic based Dave Mathews clone. I do prefer his first 2 albums to anything by Dave Mathews. This blues phase is pretty good, but not that original, with the exception of Continuum which is a great album. He is a very competent lead player, but not even close to a legend. That being said, I am extremely happy that he is pushing lead guitar to a younger generation, because there is barely anybody else doing it, and it is a big reason why current music is not as original and exciting as a lot of classic rock.

GuiltySpark

I read all 7 pages. There is a continuation of the page shown above that covers the crew.

As riders go, it's no big deal. Compared to some I've read, it all seems reasonable.

BMX

This Rider seems pretty tame. Also it's a lot less obnoxious than rock star demands from previous generations (ie drugs).

BMX

Also, there's nothing wrong or hypocritical about drinking both soy milk and Coke. Variety is good.

markjsmith

Gold Supporting Member
Someone told me Johnny Cash's rider had one thing. A bathroom with indoor plumbing. Have no idea if it's true, but sure puts things in perspective when you see some of the multiple page riders out there.

neodymium

Hospitality riders are typically advanced and rarely purchased in their entirety. John Mayer should be able to buy what ever food he wants for his touring party, don't you think?

JayLucas

Again, I know they look up to those guys because I am under 25. Even if they don't look up to Hendrix/Page, etc. there's a respect there for those guys. Mayer doesn't have that, just my opinion.
I'd disagree with you. I'm 21 and I know quite a few people who look up to John Mayer as a guitarist. Actually, pretty much everyone I know that plays a guitar is a fan of his playing. Including me, by the way.

I'll even admit, even though my father always had A LOT of recordings, tapes, CDs, LPs and DvDs of the greats(BB King, Freddie King, SRV, Clapton, Page, Albert King...), and I grew up to my parents listening to them (and the Beatles. There was always the Beatles, my mother would put me to sleep listening to them while I was a baby), I didn't quite listen to them at all. I usually listened to whatever my friends were listening and didn't care for music that much anyway... 'till one day my dad was watching a video called "in Repair: One Song One Day by John Mayer", and I found that quite interesting, and I liked the song a lot too... anyway, shortly after that I decided to pick up a guitar. I started listening to his albums, watching his concerts, and became a serious fan. He would always mention his idols; Jimi, SRV... And one day I got curious and started searching through my dad's DvD. Needless to say, I got hooked. I got into BB, SRV, Freddie King, Clapton, Buddy Guy, Albert King; then simply into guitar oriented music (Satriani is a fantastic guitarist), watching online lessons, learning music theory, playing at open jams, teaching friends how to play guitar and jamming with them and writing songs... and it all started with Mayer's music for me. That's why I'm a fan and yes, I do look up to him as a guitarist. Even though you can say some are technically better, and not as clichéd or whatever, the point is: He makes music he likes, of whatever genre he wants and is incredibly famous while not putting aside his talent or, supposedly, "selling out". The definition of "success" for me.

Yeah, this may look like a fanboy-ish rant(and I'm sure it is) but then again, everyone has their favorites. I enjoy his playing, I enjoy his songs and I like playing them as well. Also girls.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics