The ONLY trade I'll do is.....

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by kstrat62, Mar 11, 2015.

1. kstrat62

kstrat62 Member

The only trade will be for a live, full size alligator or a sword used by Genghis Kahn in battle! Sarcasm! Come on folks, lighten up a bit on those trade demands! The Emporium used to be moving with guys trading, nobody wants to do any trades anymore. What's up with that?
    I haven't always traded for exactly what I was looking for but have got some great sleepers in trades.

2. pbenn2112

pbenn2112 Member

Perhaps the seller simply needs the money.

3. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

I can get you the gator...what have you got? I'm always looking for LPs, 335s and old Marshall heads...

4. geekocaster

geekocaster Member

too many serial/professional traders out there now beating the crap out of the guys who used to trade for fun. I'll do trades now and then, but usually they aren't compelling.

5. JackJordan

JackJordan Member

I've done a few trades here... but I'd have rather sold my items... I eventually sold the items I received in a trade anyway. I find trading online can be a little inconvenient, and relies on a lot more trust as there is no paypal protection. You'll have to make it worth my while before I'll go out of my way for a trade anymore.

6. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

And I've got the sword. Has the initials, "GK" carved right on the hilt.

I'm in! :beer

7. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

I got one locally the other day for a trade on my 52ri tele for a lawn mower... I usually don't list trades...but when I list them available... I get trade offers for lawnmowers... ;)

8. Riscchip

Riscchip Supporting Member

Not only that, but those demands are ineffective anyway. Tell people you'll only trade for an alligator and you'll still get a dozen emails asking if you want a jar of frog lips or half a banana + cash.

;)

9. kstrat62

kstrat62 Member

No. It just seems there used be a lot more trading going on. I realize people would rather sell most of the time(me included) but if things don't move, I'd rather make a trade than hang on to pedals I'm not using. Just curious as to why the decline in trades.

10. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

it belongs to Gary Kreiger and now he knows you have it.:argue

back to trades: it's actually very satisfying to do a trade when both parties are happy but yeah, someone mentioned Serial Traders, who are not happy unless they come out extremely to the better. takes the fun out of it.

11. kstrat62

kstrat62 Member

Petey and Derek, I knew someone would come to their senses! I can trade you each a "minty, reliced, vintage, modded" Boss DS-1 with Velcro of course and no box. Riscchip, what are you going to do with that half eaten banana?

12. Peteyvee

Hey, I offered to throw in a pair of hedge clippers and an electric weed whacker too...don't make me sound cheap now... ;)
    Well, you have to pick the gator up. It's in Florida...and I have a large selection in the lake. Just pick one out and I'll have the local gator poacher go fetch it for you.

13. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I usually have impulsive G.A.S. and justify the purchase by telling myself I can sell something else I never use for the cash I need to pay for the impulse buy. That's why I don't do trades very often. I did score my new new SLO for a guitar I only had $1k into, so that was a good trade.

14. Peteyvee

A 90s SLO? What size gator do you want? ;)

15. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

Nope, it was new two yrs. ago and had one hour on the tubes.

16. kstrat62

kstrat62 Member

That'll only get you a medium gator!

17. Carabinerx

Carabinerx Member

Well idk about the emporium, shipping hassle and the potential for loss or getting screwed just for a trade is not, generally, appealing enough to me. BUT CL is a breeding ground for traders. In the last 2 months ive traded 2 bikes for an american strat, a vibro champ, and a limited run 90s tele -- I traded all of that for a mesa f50, a SF super reverb head, and $$, then sold the mesa for $$$. And now I feel satisfied. For now. People are very open minded about trading on CL, at least in NY, to my surprise. Great way to try what you like or fantasize about without buyers remorse -- if you dont like, send it down the river for something else

18. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

I've done trades with benderman57, guitarman_1, zoooombiex and Timmers and every transaction has been excellent. With that said, most of the time I'm not going to accept a trade offer when I have something for sale unless it meets a very specific need and is approximately of equal value. Most of the time when I'm selling something I've gotten ridiculous trade offers like a MIM Strat for an original 1964 Vibroverb in very good condition that I sold in the Emporium for $3500.

19. Brazen

Brazen Member

And I have a sword with HH on it. It's worth a million bucks, just ask Elle. :D

20. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

How much cash? And how much does the banana weigh?