The only two amps that are worth playing....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by AndreasG, Oct 9, 2005.

1. AndreasG

AndreasG Member

Just read an interview with Eddie Kramer (Producer o Jimi fame...) who said "....the best amp today is one called Dumble, but most of you wouldn't have a chance to get, since the guy only builds them for much $$ and for someone he thinks deserves it. And if you don't get a Dumble, get a Budda as that's the second-best amp. Everything else today is crap. Esp. the modeling stuff"

Funny that I saw an advertisement in the same mag for the Jimi Hendrix pedal - developed in colaboration with Eddie Kramer....

So guys, sell your house and buy a Dumble or get just the second best (the first of the losers...) or even worse....:D

2. glynn

glynn Member

Yea, and that makes his statements about amps worthless (IMO). "Modeling sucks, so check out my new new Hendrix pedal!" I guess it was a big check.

Personally, I think there are all kinds of kick ass amps made today.

3. heybulldog

heybulldog Member

i think jimi was a great player but dont think kramer was a great producer and we can talk about that if you want to.

4. Gretschman

Gretschman Member

Hendrix , Clapton , Stevie Ray Vaughn and many more never got to the level of Superstardom playing a Dumble or a Budda.
    Try a Marshall head loaded with 6550's it worked for those guys.
    And the Marshalls are all rip offs of the Fender Bassman . Check the schematics , you'll laugh your head off !

You don't need pedals with 6550's , those guys are naturally distorted . Just up the gain a little and hold on to your panties

5. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Dumble and Budda?

There's ALOT more to guitar amp life than those two!

(not that there's anything *wrong* with those two, lol)

6. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Mr Kramer is obviously very out of touch these days.

7. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

too bad i've wasted most of my life playing those crappy marshall's and vox's...

i, personally, have never felt that dumbles sounded all that great, but thats just me.

8. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Erhmm... SRV DID use a Dumble as part of his like 5-amp recording setup, if I'm not mistaken...

9. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

Played Dumble's, Played Trainwrecks and I think my Snider amps still hold their own against them as do other Dumble and Trainwreck owners that I've talked to. I'm not pissing on any amps ... Budda .... Dumble or any others. But I really think Kramer is out of the loop. There are many really great amps out there these days.

10. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Yup. It was a SSS rather than the better-known ODS.

11. martins3325

martins3325 Supporting Member

Wow! That has to be the most clueless statement ive ever heard here! This is truly an absolute Golden Age in amplifiers!! Those are so many great amps out now Komet, Roccaforte, Germino, Penn, Bruno, Stark, Clark, Maven, Fuchs, Two Rock, /13...god the list goes on and on...sorry to all those i didnt rattlle off the top of my head. And thats not to mention The big companies are feeling the pressure from the small builders and starting to really come around. With such an idiotic statement as that its obvious he's living a VERY sheltered life since Hendrixs passing.

12. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Oh well, I guess I'll have to see if anyone want's to trade their Budda for my Komet+cash :rolleyes:. While I agree with Mr. Kramer's take on modeling amps, he seems out of touch with what great tube amps are available these days.