The Orange Micro Terror/Micro Dark have a really lovely...clean sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by White Limo, Aug 13, 2019 at 3:27 PM.

1. White Limo

White Limo Member

I played a Micro Dark today through a 1x12 Marshall cab. The overdrive sound wasn't particularly for me -- although I know some people love it.

But I also pegged the volume knob to 10 and slowly raised up the gain knob and...wow! Beautiful, sparkly clear cleans, and pretty damn loud. You'd be at rehearsal level before it starting giving you break-up. Very nice sounding.

Just thought I'd give a heads up on this if anyone is looking to spend $150 or so and get a loud, clean, SS amp that weighs less than a well-made roast beef sandwich and sounds pretty damn good. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to run any dirt pedals through it but I'd be surprised if they didn't sound good.

monty, b80 and Brutus like this.
  2. Brutus

Brutus Member

I run pedals through the Micro Terror and it handles them just fine. This or the Dark would make fine backups for those who already have their setups and can also work well on their own.

IbanezAS200, monty, b80 and 1 other person like this.
  3. b80

b80 Member

When I still had my Micro Dark, that's how I ran it at home. Master dimed, volume as loud as I could go before breakup. Slam it with a Boss SD1 and it was glorious!

4. stargazer747

stargazer747 Member

I have a Micro Dark Terror and always get the WOW effect from others when I show up with it and plug into a 412, love to see the stunned looks on their faces!

T Dizz and classicplayer like this.
  5. classicplayer

classicplayer Member

I have had one for about 4 years and mainly use it as a “backup”. It has a surprisingly good clean side to
    it; which is somewhat expected being a hybrid amp. The solid state side of the amp gives a smoother high end to it. I returned to it late last month and played through the V30 In my PPC112 and it still produces the tone that keeps me an fan of Orange amps.

classicplayer

monty and stargazer747 like this.
  6. Radar

Radar Member

I also use a Micro Dark as a backup in case my Matchless head ever goes down, which has never happened, but I'm just waiting for the day since it has NOS tubes that are who knows how old.

monty likes this.
  7. Takk

Takk Member

Not a Micro Terror but I love my Dark Terror. It has very nice clean sound (Fender-ish) when you use the shape knob correctly. Of course the drive sound is fantastic!

stargazer747 and classicplayer like this.
  8. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

+1. It definitely will make onlookers scratch their heads.:huh

monty likes this.
  9. Tidbit

Tidbit Member

I use mine as a backup head that I can literally throw in my glovebox. Before that I used to velcro it into my 2nd pedalboard and use it for rehearsals.

monty likes this.
  10. monty

monty Member

Micro user here, love it. I have pedals bigger than this thing! Cant beat it for a back-up.

11. Dr Bonkers

Dr Bonkers Vendor

12. stargazer747

stargazer747 Member

13. classicplayer

classicplayer Member

Lots of high marks here for my Dark Terror...also. I started my Orange “quest” “thirst” with the Micro Dark and I was not disappointed in the least bit. It was (and is) such a refreshing change from the usual well-known amps on today's market.

The Micro Dark and for that matter the other Orange Terror series are not totally out of reach with respect to price. Buying used or demos are also options, if you don't mind accepting risks and as long as there are warranties or tryout offers.

classicplayer

14. stargazer747

stargazer747 Member

15. mbell75

mbell75 Member

Sparkly cleans? Orange? lol. Ive played and owned dozens of Orange amps, including the Micros, and their "cleans" are nowhere near "sparkly". The clean tones from Orange are decent at best. To me, they sound like a bad copy of a Bassman on their clean channels.

16. White Limo

White Limo Member

No.

17. White Limo

White Limo Member

Here is a good representation. As always from Johan.

18. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Member

I had the micro terror for about 6 months & didn't like the way it sounded clean or dirty.