The Orange Tiny Terror Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mesa/boogieman, Feb 24, 2012.

1. mesa/boogieman

mesa/boogieman Senior Member

I just received an Orange Tiny Terror head and 1x12 cabinet, courtesy of fellow forumite Billfoma. Have had the chance to play it a little bit and do like the classic rock tone it gives. Haven't had the chance to get really in depth with it. Any tips, pointers, settings or just general discussion of this amp would be most appreciated. Thanks.

2. Thinline_slim

Thinline_slim Supporting Member

It's a low enough wattage that you can really crank the volume to get more power tube OD vs cranking the gain for pre amp OD.

I typically run everything at noon to start and then wind up the volume. I never have the gain past about 1:30. The tone knob is really helpful with different pickups too more than great EQ control.

What speaker is in the 1x12? My favorite single 12" is the G12H30 with the TT but I dropped that combination quickly when I played around with a 2x10 loaded with Ramrods. :omg

3. Painasusual

Painasusual Member

Also don't be afraid of extreme settings like turning the tone knob all the way up.

4. mesa/boogieman

I believe it is the G12H30.

5. mesa/boogieman

I've noticed that this amp is good when you dime either the gain or tone. It doesn't go completely out-of-control. I also really love the clean tone with the volume high and gain very low. Very nice Voxy type of tone.

6. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

That is how I used to run a Night Train I had...just crank the volume all the way then bring the gain up to get the levels I wanted, then I would just bring the volume down to get an edge of breakup gritty clean.

Always been tempted by the Tiny Terror...

7. mesa/boogieman

8. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I love my TT. I have the 12" inch combo, which has a G12H30, and I also hook up an Orange 1x12 closed back cab with a V30. I love it by itself, but playing it with an Egnater Tweaker really sounds killer to me.

My setting is vol 1:30, tone 1:00, gain 12:30. This gives me a great crunch that can clean up pretty well. I hit it with a treble boost to send it over the top. Sounds similar to Sabbath to me, which rocks!

Having the volume past 1:00 makes the biggest difference to me (same with my Tweaker actually). I really look at the tone knob as another gain stage (which it is, of course). Basically, all the knobs control volume and saturation, and I like having them all around the same setting. I've played unmic'ed gigs with it, and it was loud enough, even without any extra cabs or other amps. I still wouldn't mind having a Dual Terror, just for a 30W TT! I don't know if its actually much louder, but it couldn't hurt.

9. guitarboyty

guitarboyty Member

I think if billfoma told me right, it has a g12h100 in the cab. I have the TT head and love it! I agree with Thinline Slim, I run everything around noon and then adjust volume. Sometimes drop the gain to 11 o'clock depending on guitar. Glad to hear you like it! It's a funy little beast

10. mesa/boogieman

I got to crank the amplifier for the 1st time today and LOVE the sound of it!

7 watt mode, volume and tone cranked and gain at 5. Instant Malcolm Young T.N.T. sound!

11. jsteel

jsteel Member

Anybody tried the hard wired edition?