The Orville vs Star Trek Discovery

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Zeegler, Jan 14, 2019.

Which do you prefer?

1. The Orville

2. Star Trek Discovery

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

The “gays” on Orville aren’t. Their planet only has one gender.

Would anyone on here be offended if the one-gender race on the Orville looked more feminine? Somehow I doubt it.

shane8 likes this.
  2. KHAN

KHAN Member

Boom!!!!!!!!

shane8 likes this.
  3. drewl

drewl Member

phobe

Jarrett and shane8 like this.
  4. JMC

JMC Member

Don't watch Star Trek Discovery so I didn't vote. I watch the Orville. Hope S2 picks things up a little more.

5. mattball826

mattball826 Member

I think it's presumptuous that different aliens are relative to human behaviors.

I wish they would do without that part. No need to be agenda driven. Just have aliens and humans interacting as they normally would.... violently !

It's like the Star Wars world... It was better when it was many alien species along with some humanlike type vs the entire having to be so inclusive to race, gender, etc etc. Just make everyone the light brown color they expect humans to be 500 years from now. lol

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Radius likes this.
  6. shane8

shane8 Member

the gay thing don't bother me (I sus we wouldn't be having this talk if they were lesbians) but I too wish they'd get on with the exploring & not who's bangin who

sex & bedroom scenes are incredibly dull

PLX, ShredSquatch and mattball826 like this.
  7. mattball826

mattball826 Member

I just like how most of the aliens have perfect human teeth

spacebard and shane8 like this.
  8. strumminsix

strumminsix Supporting Member

Don't want to pay for Discovery and my friends who like sci-fi weren't impressed so I'll pass. Maybe it'll Netflix one day?

The Orville is hit and miss. Firstly, I usually like Seth McFarlane's shows and style of humor. That said the show lacks direction. One episode it's a comedy, next it's sci-fi, next it's a sci-com, then it has some drama. Think if stayed close to a sci-fi/comedy hybrid it'd do much better. I'll continue to watch but not actively.

9. drewl

drewl Member

Tell that to Kirk, he banged half the Galaxy.

Prime Directive be damned!

Man with Gas likes this.
  10. bean

bean Member

I really like the Orville. Or, at least the idea of the Orville. Not perfect by any means but I've found something to enjoy in every episode. A couple episodes were outstanding, even. Mostly, it's just entertaining and a bit nostalgic.
    I'd love to see more TV entertainment with Sci-Fi underpinnings without all the 'splosions and alien invasion crap. 60's tv inspired a generation to go into the sciences and fiction writing and that's something we need now.

Buhtwheat likes this.
  11. shane8

shane8 Member

it might have been risqué in the 60s but now it's passe

PLX likes this.
  12. vadsy

vadsy Member

well, episode 2 season 2 of Discovery literally has the ship dumping a turd out its rear end,., describes the season well so far

Man with Gas likes this.
  13. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

I can only speak to the Orville as I don't pay more than I already do for T.V. Netflix and Amaon Prime I don't begrudge because they serve me well and provide huge value. Hulu and other pay things? Nah.

The Orville can be incredibly heavy handed in its messages. But it never loses the funny. And it never loses the action. I think Roddenberry would say "Not bad... The kid gets it".

I DVR them.

14. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

That assumes
    A. The characters are human or very human looking, and
    B. If not human, the secondary sex characteristics that distinguish females are exactly the same as humans, and
    C. They are played by actresses who are young, slender and attractive to straight men.

Take away any of these elements and you get howls of anger and disgust from the same people howling now.

15. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

I missed a few episodes of Star Trek Discovery and wanted to watch On Demand and even though I'm a cable subscriber with FOX as one of the channels they wanted me to pay to watch so I'm done with that show!!!

16. shane8

shane8 Member

take it easy bro

i'm not that deep

PLX likes this.
  17. strumminsix

strumminsix Supporting Member

Bortus' baby was born female. A rare event ,only happens every 75 years. And they performed a sexual reassignment surgery. That was awkward and uncomfortable.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  18. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

I avoided Discovery due to having to pay for a single show. Then they got me. They ran a free month thing and I binge watched season 1 of Discovery and got hooked.

Now I watch both. Discovery is better, but Orville is fun too.

ford likes this.
  19. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Orville is great. My 14 year old son loves the humor and there’s some pithy topics thrown in.

I liked Discovery until they left our dimension. No thanks.

20. ford

ford Modz Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

The Orville is ok. That is all I can say about it. Some episodes have been better than others. I don't hate it, but it isn't a must watch for me either.

Discovery season 1 wasn't consistent enough but I think the acting and writing is better overall and it has an entire universe to fall back on.

Season 2 starts off extremely well. Captain Pike is excellent. This is the Captain we have been waiting for. Pretty cool seeing the Enterprise for just a bit in season 2 episode 1.

pepedede likes this.