The "other" Dumble... (Fuchs?!?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jzucker, Aug 30, 2005.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Ok,

Everyone (rightly so) obsesses over the Robben Ford / Larry Carlton Dumble tones. I borrowed a Fuchs ODS for over a year and it was just killin' for those tones...

However, I see a couple of possible market niches for Andy (or someone else if he's not interested) to fill.

1) Dumble Steel String singer - The SRV Texas Flood has got to be the absolute best Strat tones I have heard. I would love it if someone recreated *THAT* amp. I have heard from people that the singer was based on an Ampeg circuit. That wouldn't surprise me as I recently played through a VT-40 that had an absolutely killer clean tone and wonderful reverb.

2) 35-40LB 50 watt BF Fender Reverb combo amp. Someone, please make a reasonably priced combo that's well made. I'm thinking that utilizing PC Boards to keep the price within reason but built with high quality components and a pine cabinet, 38oz speaker or possibly one of the neo guitar speakers eminence is working on you could have an absolute killer BF fender combo which would be a "one hander" and something you could gig with night after night without fear of jacks coming loose and shorts in the circuit boards like you have with Fender and Peavey production stuff.

Just some thoughts.

2. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

The new handwired Gibson amps may just fit the bill for 2) - priced very reasonably (somewhere around $1000) and designed by a very respected amp guru... Reverb/tremolo...

http://gibson.com/Products/Amplifiers/Gibson Amplifiers/

3. scottl

scottl Member

Wow Wayne... lot's of value here! Nice stuff. I wonder if the 15 and 30 watters are real class A or AB with cathode bias. This is the Gear Page after all and this topic is always a goody!

Not that I really care or the tone would be better one way or the other. :p

I wonder if GC has them.

Scott

4. jzucker

What does it sound like ? I've never played through any of their tube amps. I only remember the Lab Series and the ill fated amp I bought years ago with huge knobs and built in phase shifter! :)

Seriously, how do they do it for $1000? I assume it's made in China or Korea?

5. jzucker

Scott,

You should talk to Andy about doing a BF Fender combo with tube reverb or an Ampeg VT series amp. That would be killer!

6. lg64strat

lg64strat Member

They do look very cool, but I noticed only the 50 watter has a master volume. I'm guessing the 15 and 30 would be pretty damned loud before breaking up...

7. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

The 50-60 watt VT-40s have huge trannys that put the head alone into the 40lb neighborhood. Add extra cab material and speakers... your back into the neighborhood of the original which had pretty small speaker magnets.

I'm currently getting a 1x12 cab made for my fuchs SF bassman mod - 4 6V6s or 2 6L6s and reverb. I'm hoping it will be basically what you're talking about - a non backbreaking 18"h x 22"w (a bit narrower than a DRRI) 50watt combo. We'll see :)

8. jzucker

Who's doing the cab and how much is it?

Regarding the ampeg - You're probably right on that account but I think you could make a bandmaster sized BF fender amp, class AB with reverb a PT that puts about 425V on the tubes and a relatively small OT and have a great 40LB combo for doing intermediate sized gigs.

Something along the size of the Carr Rambler but without the vibrato and using class A-B for a bit more headroom.

Just think if the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or Peavey Classic series amps were reliable? How many of us would own them if that were the case? If Andy takes his Blackjack series and makes a 6L6 version with Reverb, I think he'd make a mint off it!

9. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Jack/Scott - the new Gibson amps are designed by Andy Marshall/THD and will be out as of October. I played a proto at NAMM (was in the Emi booth) and it was very promising, though has changed since then... Think they might be building them in Seattle...

And JAZ - big +1 on the older Ampegs. Some killer designs there.

10. jzucker

I'm tellin' ya! I thought the Ampeg VT-40 easily out-fendered any fender I have heard. Better reverb, better tone controls and sweeter tone in general. I wonder if the Dumble Singer is really an Ampeg based circuit like I've heard?

11. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

If domestic, possibly Mojo made, if foreign likely China (the chassis at-least). At that price point, it would seem difficult to retail for that price and make it in the states. This is especially true if your not the actual builder selling to the dealer.

12. jzucker

Andy, when are you going to slay the medium price point with a 6L6 based blues amp with reverb? :D

13. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Your description sounds very close to the Alessandro Working Dog amps. They make a 40 watt, 1x12" amp that weighs 36 pounds for $1200.

They also have a "jazzier" voiced amp with the Comins name on it. 60 watts, 34 pounds for a 1x12" combo.

Bryan

14. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

well, two-rock made a few SSS amps (the "sterling") ... but they were around $10,000. i'm thinking there might be room for a little competition at a lower price point :)

http://dhenderson.com/TwoRock/viewtopic.php?t=531

15. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Drop me an e-mail.

16. JPenn

JPenn Member

Hey now!!! Let us in on the secret.:)

17. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Actually, a Gibson rep just confirmed their amps will be built in Seattle. The retails are $1000-1500 w/ lists a bit higher, I believe...

18. jzucker

How can they make a point to point amp in the US at $1000 street price?

19. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

No idea here - we'll see if it's still the case when they are officially shipping...

20. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

It will sure be interesting to see how indeed.