The Paul Is Back

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Juan Wayne, Nov 6, 2018.

1. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

The Paul is back? What's next--Fender bringing back the Lead I and Lead II for a 40 year tribute? :roll

datguytim likes this.
  2. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

I have an idea! Let's reissue a budget low cost LP from the '70s that wasn't that desirable at ALL compared to LP Standards & Customs!!!!

Hope this new CEO gets things moving in right direction SOON.....this ain't a good start IMO.

70 Mach 1 likes this.
  3. Tom Thumbs

Tom Thumbs Member

I think Fender does do some of that, and actually I am thinking of getting one of their reissues of the Fender XII, I just having trouble finding out if it is any good, can't seem to find a review or any feedback. Sometimes it is a good thing to reissue some of the classic stuff, IMO. Anyway, here is the reissue of the 1965 Fender XII.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Traditional-Stratocaster-XII-Electric-Guitar.gc

[​IMG]

4. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Supporting Member

5. Juan Wayne

Juan Wayne Member

For some reason, I read "Custom" instead, haha. I'm an ass!

Tom Thumbs likes this.
  6. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Ford is bringing the Pinto back!

bigtone23 likes this.
  7. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

I wonder what it sounds like?

[​IMG]

8. Tom Thumbs

Tom Thumbs Member

Dude, it is all good, and you pointed out a flaw in my note, I guess there should be 4 models, add the custom. How else can Gibson make a $10K LP :D

Juan Wayne likes this.
  9. BigGreggoTX

BigGreggoTX Member

My first Gibson was a The Paul, bought from a family friend back in 1984. I played that guitar through high school and college, then got married and moved to Austin, got way to into "da blooz", and foolishly traded it for an MIK Squier Strat and a set of Tom Anderson pups. I almost immediately regretted it, went back a week later to get the The Paul back, it was already gone. This was late 1994.

Fast forward 20 years, I'm playing guitar again and, feeling nostalgic, start looking for a The Paul. I start checking Reverb, CL, and other sites, but since these were "working man's guitars", it was hard to find one in good shape and stock with the T-Tops, which was a must for me. I wanted to recreate the feel and sound of my youth, and a The Paul with Dimarzio's or Duncan's weren't going to do that. One day I hit the local CL just poking around, and search for "The Paul". Unbelievably, there's one for sale in Denton, just a few miles from me. It's in very good condition and bone stock, and the price is right. But then I start looking more closely at the guitar and reading the guy's post, and I get this tingly feeling that I am looking at MY The Paul. He had bought it in Austin in late 1994, albeit at a different store than I traded it to, his was a '79 and mine was a '79. But the kicker was a cigarette burn on the headstock, which I had done to mine trying to imitate Keith Richards one night at band practice. I didn't have a serial number to check, but I was 99% certain this was my old guitar.

I called the guy, explained the situation, and asked if he had burned the headstock, he said "no, that was on it when I got it". He also explained that at the time he had asked another store to try to find him one, and not long after they had called him and said they found one at another local store there in Austin and he bought it. I was certain now that this was my old guitar and I was going to buy it, so we arranged to meet. When he opened the case and I picked up the guitar, it felt like cosmic intervention. I checked the back, and the buckle rash pattern I had in my head matched perfectly with what was there. I told him I was 99.9% sure this was my old guitar, and I would buy it without haggling on price. At this point he tells me that he got an email from a buyer in Hong Kong, offering 1.5x his asking price + shipping cost. I asked if this was his way of asking for my more $$$, he says "no, I'm gonna sell it to you for the price I posted, 'cause this is a way cooler story". :)

10. EtaCarinae

EtaCarinae Member

I think it looks good, and I am glad to have a walnut option out there. I am glad they added this.

11. runningman

runningman Member

I'd never buy one, but I love the idea of Walnut. They should have used roasted maple for the fingerboard to keep it all North American sourced and sustainable.

12. runningman

runningman Member

oh, and this thread is making me hungry for walnuts...:rotflmao

13. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

That's not a reissue of the original Electric XII, it's a reissue of the MIJ Stratocaster XII's made some years ago. The original Fender Electric XII is the one with the offset body and the hockey-stick headstock. I have an original '66 sunburst one, it looks just like the one that Townsend played at one point, Jimmy Page also used one for the studio version rhythm tracks of "Stairway". He got the double neck Gibson to be able to do both the 12 string parts and the solo parts when they played it live. I always wanted one of the Strat versions when they first came out, I'm glad they brought them back again. Aren't they still made in Japan?.
    Al

14. Tom Thumbs

Tom Thumbs Member

The one I posted is indeed MIJ, $899 on both Amazon and GC. Still probably good, but like I said, I can't seem to find out much about it. Thanks.

15. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

I love the Paul, it is probably my favorite guitar ever from Gibson.

This new one, however, is way overpriced.

I would just buy an original for less.

16. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

I had one back in 1995. Average guitar compared to a 1976 les Paul standard I had when I first started playing in 1981. 5/10.

1399 for a new one i recommend try before buy. I wouldnt spend that money on it, considering past experience.

17. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

walnuts are superfoods, so you're doing yourself a favor if you eat them regularly.

18. Gurn

Gurn Silver Supporting Member

I like it. What’s the weight?

19. zapada

zapada Member

Gibson LP will always be iconic, just like Fender Strats & Tele. But the prices they sell are kind of outrageous.

20. archey

archey Member

I would love to see a lead ii reissue. Those were bad ass guitars.

bigtone23 likes this.