The pedal still standing......

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mojoman, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Mojoman

Mojoman Supporting Member

Hey guys,
    Tonight I came to the realization that the two pedals that have been on my board the longest may be losing their places soon.
    -1st the Boss DD-5 been there about 3 years....presently it is running next to a Memory Lane, but I am really thinking of picking up a Line6 DL-4, so I have looping too.
    -Second is the MJM Blues Devil, been there a little longer than the DD-5. Right now it is my OD sounds next to an Eternity and a Tim, but having just received my Honey Bee (thanks Dean), it looks like the MJM's days are numbered.

So my question to you all is what pedal has had the longest running time on your board......and what finally kicked it off?
    And what is the pedal that is presently the longest running on our board? For me that would be my RMC-1.

2. gururyan

gururyan Member

Good one...(looks over at board)...

My MXR Phase 90 (vintage of course) has been on for so many years I can't even remember now, at least 10 years. I don't see it going anywhere. Some years I use it lots, some barely at all. Recently I have been finding a new use for it in conjunction with some other effects.

My MXR Dyna-Comp (again vintage) has been on almost as long as the Phase 90. I could see it getting replaced, but since it does a fine job and I don't have the time or money (or push) to find a better comp, I bet it sticks around awhile longer.

My MXR D+ (yes, vintage yet again) was acquired the at the same time the Phase 90 was. Unfortunately, during a creative slump, I traded it a couple years ago in an amp deal. Love the amp I got, but have had severe seller's remorse ever since.

As far as kicking each other off, my envelopes have seen the most action. I started with an EHX Doctor Q (pure crap) which was quickly kicked off by a Menatone Mail Bomb. The Bomb stayed for awhile until I finally located a minty, vintage MXR Envelope Filter.

...yeah, vintage MXR and I have a history together. Over the years I have had many other vintage MXR pedals including the ones listed above that I still use and some I have let go to others like the; Phase 45, Phase 100, Noise Gate/Line Driver, Micro Amp and Delay. I actually use a vintage MXR Power Converter and power plates to power all my MXR pedals.

For the record, my pedalboard as of 11/29/05:
    Vox V847 "Union Jack" (wah), mods by Keeley.
    MJM London Fuzz (germ) (fuzz)
    1977 MXR DynaComp (compressor)
    1979 MXR Phase 90 (phaser)
    1980 MXR Envelope Filter (envelope)
    Banzai Cold Fusion II (overdrive/gain/boost)
    Maxon Vintage Series AD900 (analog delay)
    Korg DT-10 (tuner)
    Custom Loooper by Dave Boggs
    Boss CH-1 (chorus)
    Bruce Bennett "Tejas Trem" (tremolo)
    BigTone TriBooster
    Boss TR-2 (tremolo), mods by Keeley
    MXR Power Converter w/Power Plates (vintage power supply)

I am looking to add the Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe soon and then call it "done" for awhile.

3. onemind

onemind Member

My Fulldrive II was just supplanted by the Mosfet Edition, more of a evolution than a revolution. The Memory Lane knocked my AD80 (Maxon) off... In more ways than one since it's three times the size.

(s)

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Only about a year and a half...but

I can't get rid of my Visual Sound J & H, and H2O....

In fact, a few other pedals (EBS Dynaverb, modded GE-7 graphic EQ, EB vol pedal, Mojo-vibe) are getting more and more consistently on my board. Plus, I'm building an actual board finally!

What I mean is, after probably 20 or so pedal buys (stomp box only) and actually even more that I turned around and sold, or returned, I finally, after two years, am settling down.

The catylist for me was when I bought a Hot Rod DeVille 4x10 amp. Finally I was damn close to what I wanted even without pedals, and the above named (plus...and this is a tossup, the Marshall VT-1 vibra-trem OR my BYOC hand made-by-me tremolo) work just fine with it, though I am still playing with pedal order.

So I am really looking forward to stopping the GAS for a little while and FINALLY getting used to one setup that will be the same pedals, and the order I finally get set on....and I am going to get to know the ins and outs of that one setup, worry less about aquisition, and get to be really used to it.

THEN...I can try a few things, trade ONE pedal out now and again ,and see what the difference is.

I needed desperately to have a basline finally, instead of floating free all the time. I used to pick different pedals to take to band practices each time....and different orders. Sometimes I got some sweet sounds, sometimes SOME pedals sounded great while others seemed to lose their qualities.

I'm "geared" up for this (pun intended!)

5. erksin

erksin Member

For me, the pedal that has been on my board the longest was some sort of Tube Screamer (TS-5/9/10/Turbo/Keeley) - finally booted by a MI Audio Blue Boy.

Current pedal that has stayed the longest on my board is a Timmy.

6. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Keep the dd-5! I've got a DL-4 and a DD-3 and I love the combo of the 2. This way, i can use the loop function on the DL-4 and a long delay setting on the DD-5 to lay down delay loops/funk sirens. Alternatively, we can use the DD-3's delay settings in conjunction with the DL-4 's loop function (since you can't use the delays along with the loop, save for the short amount of delay time that is available with the loop)....

Brian

7. Phil M

Phil M Member

I don't have a board, but I've used my Boss DD-3 for over 12 years. I ordered a BYOC delay and will soon see if that will supplant the DD-3.

8. what?

what? Member

Lovepedal twin 60 and Aphek peanut butter

9. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Longest pedal on my board is a Boss DD3. Perfectly simple.

Next longest would be my Clyde wah. Love that pedal.

Next would be my Timmy.

A

10. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Barber Burn Unit II and the Mayer Voodoo-1.

11. mprvise

mprvise Member

Ibanez AD99! Love it. It's been to every gig I've played since I bought it about 10 years ago.

12. jzguitar

jzguitar Member

I've had my Boss DD-2 since 1985 (XMas present from my parents). I had it modded by AnalogMan last year (hi-cut mod) and it sounds great. Only wish it had tap tempo.
    Overdrives are a different story - it's pretty much a revolving door. My AnalogMan TS9 has been on for a while, but I just got my Timmy and so far it is killer - I think it will be around for quite a while!

jz

13. TomK

TomK Member

My basic pedal set-up has remained unchanged for 5 years or more:

MXR Dynacomp
    Fulltone FDII
    L6 DM4
    Mayer Wah
    EB Volume
    L6 MM4
    L6 DL4

I recently replaced the Dynacomp with a Keeley Comp (18 months ago)and upgraded the FDII for the first FDII Custom Shop in Yellow - about 2 years ago.

A few other things make guest appearances: Mayer Voodoo 1 and Voodoo Axe.

14. Aquinas

Aquinas Supporting Member

There is only one pedal that will never leave my board: My CC2.

15. gururyan

gururyan Member

Careful there, I think we have all said/thought that at one time or another. ;)

16. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

EH Small Stone - purchased in 1976, still running strong...

nothing else more than 1 year, but I have the feeling my Teese Picture Wah will be the last wah I ever buy - for my tastes, it just doesn't get any better!

17. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

A Ram's Head Big Muff I bought used back in the early 80s. Had it modded for true bypass and added a AC input, and it still rocks. I've got other pedals I've had a long time, but they aren't necessarily on my board (although they may rotate in from time to time).

18. Aquinas

Aquinas Supporting Member

Well, I have yet to find a Fuzz Face I like better than the hybrid FFoot. I have a Fulltone '69, and have tried MANY others including the ones people go crazy 'bout. I didn't like the Sun Face as much, or the McFuzz, or several others.

Also, there will ALWAYS be a Big Muff of some kind on my board. Right now it is a Zero, but I've thought about trying out an Ernie or some other Ram's Head type, since the Zero has always seemed a little too aggressive...

19. DrDespair

DrDespair Member

the most underrated unit ever i think.
    It´keeps surprising me everytime I use it next to „boutique“stuff:

the current regular procoRAT.

DrDespair

20. LarryN

LarryN Member

Is that the Rat listed as the Rat II? I just got an old small box Rat off ebay with the triangular LED. I was wondering if that's the same. I think this has a future with me.

Recent acquisitions include:

Bad Monkey: best bang for buck and just plain great.

TS-7 Tube Screamer: this will do the TS-9 thing better than the reissue, plus the higher gain switch works great at lower gain settings for high-gain.

Fulltone OCD: not familiar enough yet, but seems loaded with potential. Very amp-ish and versatile.

Old standbys:

Keeley Mod (self-inflicted) Boss Blues Driver: Adds very little color, I like it. Vast improvement over stock.

'84 TS-9 with 808 mod: does what it's supposed to very well. I'm too used to it, though. Kind of jaded with it, but once in a while it makes for an outstanding solo. Go figure.

Marshall black box Bluesdriver: I'll never get rid of it. Brit-amp distortion with soul.

NEW OBSESSION:

Scion 3: I tried this on Sunday. WOW! I can't get it out of my mind. One setting has the coolest high overtone on every note that makes it sound like an amp with that magic-overtone-THING. Boutique colorful, arty box with no letters or numbers. I need to sell something. List price:$369, street:$269.- Bananas at Large, San Rafael, CA is the only source I believe. They do internet. You'll probably hear about this more.

I know this is a thread about keepers, but they rotate according to my mood. That's the beauty of now and all the choices. Just more colors for the palate.