• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

The Pedalboard Wiring / Underside Thread!!!

Let's have a thread dedicated to discussing the art of wiring and showing the underside / bottom of your pedal boards. I've been following the Show Your Pedalboard and Neatest Pedalboard threads and I'm surprise that people don't usually post a picture of the underside?

Having recently finished my first board, I had to figure out how I wanted to arrange/tidy up the wires. The usual answer is to get the little wire anchors from Home Depot and use zip ties. However, I didn't like the idea of having to cut the zip ties whenever I wanted to move/trouble shoot something or having to try and get the anchors in exactly the right position.

I decided to use 3/4" velcro to keep the wiring in place. Using 'sticky back' 3/4" velcro on the bottom of the bars and double sided 'one wrap' to anchor the wires to the board. The sticky back was about $7 and double sides about $9 at the local Home Depot store. To get extra strength I put 'sticky back' on two sides of the bars (although 1 side was enough). You can even put velcro on three sides of the pedal board bar if you really want to hold it down tight or have a lot of wires. Do people do this? If not, I would like to coin this method the 'Wayne-Cro' method! =)

Here's my board to start the thread. Please post your boards, the only rule for posting board pics is that you have to include a picture of the underside too!

Top of board:

Bottom of board:

Pic w/ velcro I used:

Cheers!

jdennis27

No pics for now cause I'd be totally embarrassed by the mess, but I'm in the process of building/wiring/refining my first board, and I think I'm definitely going to steal your velcro underside technique! I have a bit of velcro still laying around leftover from covering the top of the board. Great idea, one I haven't seen before (granted, I haven't been around that long).

No pics for now cause I'd be totally embarrassed by the mess, but I'm in the process of building/wiring/refining my first board, and I think I'm definitely going to steal your velcro underside technique! I have a bit of velcro still laying around leftover from covering the top of the board. Great idea, one I haven't seen before (granted, I haven't been around that long).
That's awesome, I hope this idea and this thread can become a helpful resource. It's ok not to have a pic to post, this thread is for talking about wiring too. Just if someone wants to post a board pic, then they should include the underside shot. Love to hear and see some other people's ideas.

Eskimo_Joe

Rocker, roller, way out of controller
Silver Supporting Member
I like the idea of this thread. My board is functional but messy to look at. Could definitely pick up some tips from you guys.

CaptainAwesome

It definitely is a stupid username
Silver Supporting Member
That's nice work StratStringSlinger. I made an attempt at cleaning it up, but it's still nothing like the pro boards.

That's nice work StratStringSlinger. I made an attempt at cleaning it up, but it's still nothing like the pro boards.
Thanks for sharing. Interesting to see how to mount 2 DC10 power supplies under a Pedaltrain.

Anyone else want to share how they are wiring up/managing the cables on their boards?

jdennis27

Okay, here's some pics of my cheap, little beginners board. I used some velcro to "Wayne-Cro" some of the power supply cables to tidy them up, but my patch cables have this diagonal pattern going on to get the pedals where I want them on my board and in the chain.

your name here

Silver Supporting Member
Top:

Underside:

It's actually slightly tidier now, but not by much. Lol. It looks like spaghetti, but thankfully, it's quiet.

stratguy23

I need to finalize my board then I will clean up the wiring. I used to think super neat cables and stuff was dumb and unnecessary, but I have found it is actually really, really nice when gigging to not have stray cords everywhere and stuff, it is also way nicer to look at!

casus

I`m hoping to be able to post in this thread in a week or so :rotflmao
I`ll be wiring up my PT-Pro with a Musicomlab efx mkiii+ and a bunch of pedals. Potentially a real mess :huh

nrandall85

Id love to see someone with a NYC Pedalboard and some creative wiring. Mine is like a rats nest.

All of these aluminum shelf boards-with-bars make it look easy.

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
Very nice pictures. I just use a half dozen sandwich bag twist ties under my PT-2 to hold nearby cables together. I change pedals often enough that I don't want the cables held together with something more permanent. I also worry about signal cross-talk noise in beautiful tightly wrapped parallel bundles. Used to have that problem in wiring harnesses at work years ago and the solution was to pull the pretty parallel wire bundles apart and rewire everything point to point.

-bEn r.

Trending Topics