the pedalworx cactus crunch

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Blues Wail, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

what can i say about george? he is anal? yes!! that's it! and.. tone is not only his living, it is the extra yard, the last round......... like a good george and a bad george havin a fight, no! not like that,
    like this!!!! ya know? he just only makes what he himself would proudly use, and the new cactus
    crunch is no exception! i will spare you the words transparent, articulate, organic, etc.................
    cause they are used all the time for even yes...... the bad monkey:D so............. i will just keep it to the
    point, this box can be used in the bedroom and sound fine, but it is a professional tool to express yourself, because it responds so. case in point is the tone stack. heaven! ya want bottom
    end? ya got it, and the thing is there is no sacrifice as there is in so many pedals that have strenghs *spell check* i initially thought it to be sorta of a ford/carlton box? is it? yep! and then some! perfect balance of mids, bass, treble, and drive that interact in a stellar way, never harsh,
    muddy, nasaly or overly compressed. just right! it sounds like no other pedal i own, i mean... i can
    dial it in as a clean boost, mild hair round the edges, crunch with chirp and authority, hold a note
    *umble smooth, voxy if so desired, even marshall ground! thanks george another winner from,
    pedalworx!

2. gururyan

gururyan Member

I thought George had chosen discontinue the CC. :confused:

...been wanting to try one for as long as I can remember.

3. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

you have been misled, welcome back into the light, simply put..... the cactus crunch is alive! literally! i have the proto, and the final product as we speak, donner is also doin some boxes!
    they sound stellar! no buzz toy, this is for big boyz!
    :D

4. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I ordered one from Musictoyz earlier this year and it was broken, or so I believed. No bass whatsoever and the bass control started humming, like a low feedback, as I turned it past 3 o'clock. I sent it back and after that I totally lost interest in it...

5. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

....I just got my new one and was very impressed as well, especially the bass control - it was just what I wanted to adjust and did so without sounding like a whole had been drilled in the overall tone...and it also has tasty clean dynamics and appropriate dirt.....nice one George!

6. gururyan

gururyan Member

Hey DonneR, when are "opening"? I'm looking forward to seeing what is for sale soon.

7. GBlekas

GBlekas Supporting Member

Hey guys & gals,

For clarity sake the CC has gone through a number of changes over the past 2 years. The first CC, which is in the PedalworX tour box, was shooting at a Metallica type sound. The second CC was changed to include running at 18 volts in order to get higher clean headroom and a Robben Ford type vibe. To be honest about it I was not thrilled with the second version and knew there was a lot more potential available running at 18 volts. At this point I stopped shipping or selling the CC. I had dealers breathing down my neck and placing orders knowing it would be delivered when I thought it was ready. This took about 9 months and not really great for business but it's not about business to me, it's about tone!

I finally nailed it and the CC is done. I won't mod it or change it in any way because I have tried everything under the Sun to get this to where it is right now and I think it's right.

The bass control goes all the way to a point where you think it has too much bass and yet it doesn't get flubby on the bass notes. I attribute this to running at 18 volts and it appears the CC is a serious tool at this point.

There is a "Tour BoX" out and about and if interested in trying some pedals drop me an email and I will put you on the list. With the original CC and the current CC in the box this should appeal to the Charles Darwin in all of us!:crazy

DonneR Dbx versions are available and more will be available in the future through http://www.tonesafari.com/ shortly. If I have that wrong let us know D!

Anyway, I hope this clears up things.
    Thanks for the reviews of the pedal fellas!
    Back to the lab for me.

Regards,
    George

www.PedalworX.com

8. Don Rusk

Well this may not be the thread for that ; ]
    But stuff is being built right now - the Amp circuit is finalized and parts are on the way...

the basic plan is Ill do a Delay and Two Modulation pedals with my 'brand'...

and then have a variety of drives distortions and fuzzes etc. from current builders ( like the Cactus Crunch etc...) in Donnerboxes all unique looking .... one big happy custom shop basically ~~~ obviously it will change regularly ... you should start seeing them pop up in the next few weeks

thanks for asking:)

9. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Sounds cool, Donner!
    Can't wait to check them out.

10. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

As I said, my one was faulty. I lost interest afterwards though. Could try it again I suppose.

11. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

george, just sent the tour box on it's way to don, 6 pedals in all. original CC, and the real deal!
    thanx!

12. blue_lu

blue_lu Member

So since you claim it is supposed to catch that Robben Tone - I'm interested, but I got the "Ford-approved" :YinYang Zen1+2 on order... to have me spend more money I need Soundfiles...!

13. dbx

dbx Member

WOW ?!?!? I'm really flattered....never had a pedal christened...j/k...:rotflmao

I'm sure you meant "Dlx"...been curious about the CC since it first came out, I'll drop you a PM to discuss offline...take it easy...

:cool:

14. rewog

rewog Member

Donner
    Any chance of a mailing list for forum members to keep us updated and have first shot at custom pedals ??

15. Don Rusk

Well most of these , especially the abstracts will each be a little different, so I will be posting pics of the individual pieces for sale and when theyre gone theyre gone. and on tot he next one...... I hate to use the old cliche but 'check back often' is probably the best strategy...

Any suggestions Im listening - only thing I could think of was doing some on ebay so people could get them with there favorite searches or something like that......:)

its a good question..

16. Don Rusk

HA, well I usually abbreviate Donnerbox as Dbx so the CCDbx is a Donnerbox Cactus Crunch is shorthand :AOK

17. the_pedal_nazi

the_pedal_nazi Member

George is DA MAN!!!! :dude

My hero in the pedal biz along with Bjorn, Paul C, Clay Jones, Magicboy, Jon Cusack and the Macari Bros...

18. Don Rusk

....and the Pedal Nazi is my new hero !!!!!:AOK

19. gururyan

gururyan Member

George, thanks for everything in our emails. I can't wait.

DonneR, could you start a new thread in the appropriate section with all your info regarding when you will be ready to go and what you have in store for us?

20. Gil1

Gil1 Member

Maybe a list of what's available could be a RSS feed. People could see what's changes in thier blog readers.