The Perfect Home Studio Core??

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by localmotion411, Jan 23, 2008.

1. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

It may be expensive, but everything integrates pretty perfectly and should be as user friendly as can be. I think this very well may be it, for me at least:

Computer: MacBook Pro (have), Apple 20” Cinema Display (need)
    DAW: Apple Logic Studio (need)
    Interface: Apogee Ensemble (need)
    Console: Mackie Control Universal Pro (need)
    Midi Controller: M-Audio Keystation 49 (have)
    Monitors: Event ASP8 (have)

Any thoughts or suggestions you guys may have to any of this gear would be greatly appreciated. This is a big purchase and I want to be as informed as possible. I know the Keystation kind of sucks, but for what I need it for, it is fine for now. I don't necessarily have to have the external Apple display but it would really help.

2. Rocket Brother

Rocket Brother Member

Hi
    I´m in the process of putting a good home studio together right now as well - and our ideas are very close.
    I´m actually thinking of an Imac 24 with an Ensample at home + a MacBook Pro with an Apogee Duet to take with me when travelling.
    For the DAW I really don´t think you can do better than Logic Studio 8 - I´m not the least tempted to look at Pro Tools, Logic will do more than I need, but still it´s very - err logical .. in use.
    Since you say it´s a big purchase you might consider not getting the 20" display and the Mackie console and keep the price down.
    We used a friends MacBook Pro 15" with Logic Studio when we did your last demos, and it was great, a bigger display is nice, but you don´t really need it. Why not save a bit and then go for an even bigger display later when funds allow it?
    With regards to the console - don´t spend money on that unless you absolutely need one to be in your confort zone, you´ll get used to doing things on-screen in no time.
    Good luck, and let us know what you decide on and how it turned out for you.
    RB

3. localmotion411

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. I don't think I want to get it all at once but piecemeal. I would like the extra screen space of the additional display, and I'm not sure I really need the 23" or larger. I think at this point, to get started, I'll need the Ensemble and Logic Studio. Everything else can be bought as needed, although it would be really great to go ahead and get the console and learn it all at once as a complete package, but you're right in that it isn't completely necessary. I like the idea of adding a Duet to the package for travel. I think in the long run, I will be much happier with this equipment than I would with Pro Tools and Digidesign hardware.

4. guitarplayer

guitarplayer Member

I just bought an Ensemble but I don't have a macbook (yet). In fact I'm also redoing my home studio. I've been using a Windows based PC running Guitar Tracks as my DAW with a Mackie Onyx 1620 as my Pre and converter - firewire to the PC. The "final" part of the chain I have to have just to start is the macbook. I'm hoping to get it up and running soon!

5. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I'm a huge fan of the M-Audio ProjectMixIO firewire interface. Incredibly versatile and easy to use. I have found Ableton Live to be the DAW of choice for myself, but I haven't tried Logic so I can't say it's necessarily better.

6. localmotion411

I wonder how the sound quality, connectivity and ease of use would compare between a Logic/ProjectMix setup and a Logic/Ensemble/Mackie Control Universal Pro. I think for the money, if the ProjectMix is all it's cracked up to be, it could possibly save me a heap of money (and time, as I wouldn't have to build that damn single-space stained wood desktop rack I've had in my mind for three days to house the Ensemble).

This decision here's gon' be a toughy.

7. localmotion411

Here's where I am now:

Computer: MacBook Pro, ProView 22" Widescreen Cinema Display (with wallmount -- KILLER & CHEAP -- thanks Walmart)
    DAW: Apple Logic Studio
    Interface/Console: M-Audio ProjectMix I/O
    Midi Controller: M-Audio Keystation 49
    Monitors: Event ASP8

ProjectMix will be here Thursday -- I think this will be good enough to do anything I want to do.
    [​IMG]

8. djbrough

djbrough Member

You've got the right idea. I would ditch the MCU and get the Euphonix artist control. The Eucon protocol will give you much deeper integration with logic. I'd also get the M-Audio 88 key controller. you may never know when you'll have a piano player in the studio who really wants to stretch out a little. Your additional costs for the suggested changes is only about $600 more than you already have budgeted.

9. localmotion411

I got a barely-used M-Audio ProjectMix on eBay for a great price that has all the inputs, outputs, and mic pres I'll need for what I want to do. I'm going to audition it for a while, and if I don't like it I can get all of my money back in the resale.

I think the Euphonix MC Control looks incredible, and I know it will be the hot studio product of 2008. They aren't shipping until March, so I've got some time with the ProjectMix to see if I like it.

It would cost quite a bit more for the MC Control and Ensemble setup than the ProjectMix, and if I get the MC Control, I know I won't be happy without the MC Mix. That equates to $800 for the ProjectMix versus $4,500 for the Ensemble, MC Control, and MC Mix. Agreed, the integration with my Mac/Logic that the Ensemble and Euphonix controllers would provide is probably the absolute best setup I can think of, and I would imagine that the sound quality would be best with the Ensemble. But if the ProjectMix is good enough, I (and my wallet) will be relieved.

10. localmotion411

Another problem I've run into now that I have my new monitor up and running with my setup is that I've got a ridiculous amount of hum coming from my monitors. I know this is a common problem and did my research on how to isolate the problem and fix it. It is a ground loop caused by powering my monitor speakers and display monitor on the same circuit. I wouldn't have thought an LCD monitor would cause this problem, but they do.

The fix is fairly simple -- power the screen and speakers on different circuits. The only problem with this is that I live in an apartment, and I'm fairly certain that all my outlets are on one circuit. I unplugged the screen power and using an extension cord plugged it into each outlet around my studio room, with no luck -- still had hum.

Is there a product made that will get rid of ground loops and hum?

11. rosscoep

rosscoep Member

Apple Cinema is very easy on the eyes. The price only hurts initially. I also like the Novation Remote SL controllers. Ditto on the initial price.

12. djbrough

djbrough Member

I used a UPS to get rid of my woes.

13. djbrough

djbrough Member

I heare ya. I'm absolutely certain that you can make some killer recordings with the projectmix. Sometimes we get to caught up in the audiophile end of things.

BTW, Black Lion Audio offers modifications to the projecmix as well. I've heard nothing but glowing reviews about it.

14. localmotion411

I think I will schedule that upgrade. Sounds killer and addresses some of the things I had issues about with the unit. So basically, for around $1275, I can have a fully upgraded basically brand new ProjectMix. Sweet.

15. localmotion411

This helps me how?

16. djbrough

djbrough Member

Scientifcally it really makes no sense, but plugging my studio monitors and the computer monitors into a UPS stopped my hum. Maybe the UPS allowed for the units to ground properly? I'm sure that all of outlets in my room are on a shared ciruit. BTW I use KRK V6's and a dual-screen lcd setup.

It's a shot in the dark, but it worked for me.

17. localmotion411

Sorry, I'm a little slow today, thought you meant to sell my stuff... and ship it via... UPS... I'm retarded.

Sorry for coming across like a jerk! I didn't know what a UPS was. I have one sitting next to my desk. Everything, including screens, computer, monitor speakers, and hard drive power, are plugged into one power strip, which is then plugged into the battery backup, which then goes into the wall. I'm gonna rearrange some stuff and see what happens... stay tuned. And thanks for the help!

18. Vegas Bob

Vegas Bob Supporting Member

+1 for Apogee Duet and Logic Studio