The Perfect Nickle-Plated Steel Strings

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jesse, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Jesse

Jesse Member

Okay, I don't like pure nickle strings.

I appreciate them. They have richness and depth...and yet they don't do it for me. I want the upper harmonic bite that only nickle-plated steel can give me.

I've tried Boomers and I don't like them: too snappy and harsh.

What do you guys recommend?

2. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

I like DR Tight Fits you might try the High Beams

oh, but Dean Farley "Pink Strat" on this board has a rock formula for you that you'll probably find very appealing.

3. dave s

dave s Member

Try the SIT Nickel Power Wound set. For a 'reasonably-priced' string set, they go a lot of hours before dulling out.

I think the set on my #1 player has seen 5 gigs and they are still keeping tune well and not even close to dulling out yet. That's longer than a set usually lasts for me, though.

dave

4. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

Ernie Ball or D'Addario, do it for me. I change them really frequently and I do use the volume and tone controls on the guitar.

5. indytone

indytone Member

So, what is the advantage to using a nickle-plated string as opposed to pure nickle strings? I've never even thought about there being a difference and am about to restring my DeArmond.

6. larc

larc Member

Thomastik Infeld Power Brights.

Prior to this, I used to use Ernie Balls, D'Addario, B-52's. After trying Thomastik Power Brights and Blues Sliders, I have a hard time going back to the other brands. Thomastik strings just sound fuller with more harmonics (last longer too). Their Power Bright set is a bit brighter (and more suitable for rock) than their Blues Slider series.

Haven't tried the Snake Oil strings everyone raves about here...perhaps I'd dig them more if I tried them.

7. Jesse

Jesse Member

Thanks for the responses! Keep them coming.

8. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

I wouldn't say advantage, just different. Nickle plated tend to be brighter and louder. Becuase they start brighter, they appear to dull quicker.

Pure nickle tends to be deeper and fatter IMO. Sometimes even a little more slinky. However they are less bright or warmer. They appear to last longer because there is less brightness about them to start with to go "dull."

I'm still deciding which I like better for guitar (And WHICH guitar(s)), I've been on a bit of a pure nickel kick for the last year.

For Bass, Stainless steel no contest. I like the more modern sound there. I just grabbed the coated DR's for it and LOVE them!

9. indytone

indytone Member

NuSkoolTone: Thanks for the explanation. While I can tell that was hard to put into words, I understood it.

So, what would you recommend to me? I play "rock" and mostly play chords. Use a DeArmond with DeArmond 2k pickups and use a ton of fuzz, etc... I currently use Elixer Polywebs.

10. jazzgitter

jazzgitter Member

GHS Nickel Rockers or Burnished Nickel strings are quite a bit darker/warmer than Boomers. They have a comparison on the website. I use Nickel Rockers.

From GHS website:

"Burnished Nickel
    Roundwound Pure Nickel
    Pure nickel strings for a warm vintage tone. These strings are lightly polished for a smooth feel.
    They are great for benders!"

11. YZDanno

YZDanno Member

I'm not sure if they're nickel-plated or not, but I'm a long-time user of Dean Markley Blue Steel strings. They last forever and sound great to me.

12. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Member

try the VINCI NICKEL CLASS 1 strings,they are by far the best strings I've ever tried,they have all the twang and clarity you associate with palted strings but all the bendability & "nice" feel of the p.n. ones,they last a long time too (way more than all the most well known brands I've tried)
    They also come is SEALED packages that give them a LONG shelf life.

13. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

Yes, yes, yes to everything Nick said. I have yet to try the Snake Oils Pyramids or Thomastik, but out of D'addarrios, EB's, DR's, GHS, Fenders, Markley, et al, the Vinci's are by far the longest lasting, toneful & comfortable strings I've used.

My acidic system eats strings, but the Vinci's last 3-4 time longer than any string I've used. Highly recommended.