• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

The "perfect" tube combo amp

Kolinopi

I own a 50 watt Pevey ValveKing all tube combo amp and I love it but i can't get a great 60s classic rock tone and it's driving me crazy. I use a lot of fuzz and overdrive pedals and I'm thinking a Vox AC15CI. I want a all tube combo amp what are some recommendations please?

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Get an Egnater Tweaker 40 and install el34's in it or find a used Marshall Haze 40 . Great versatile tone machines at cheap prices.
Try an AC15 .. See what you think. I think they sound weird..even with the treble cap mods

LPVM

[
Silvertone 1482. Perfect for classic rock.
I love these amps! They take dirt pedals of all kinds extremely well. I don't know about them being the "perfect tube combo" but they have '60s classic rock tone in spades (and more).

Here's one with a few different dirt pedals. Here are a few sample tone clips.

Here's some '60s classic rock to start - M108 & Route 66 set as clean boost

With CE5 chorus through Ditto for rhythm then a Bogner Uberschall distortion for the lead, Echo Park delay

With M108 during the clean parts and M108 + Route 66 for the over driven tone, Echo Park delay

Musket Fuzz, M108 & Echo Park

Last edited:

IM4Tone

Vox AC30, Fender BDRI or 59 Bassman RI ltd. Maybe a Marshall, but I'm not a Marshall owner or fan, so someone else can better suggest a model. These are the amps that defined 60's Rock.

LPVM

I've got a Peavey Delta Blues which is the same amp as the Classic 30 but it has tremolo and a 15" speaker in a bigger cab. It's a great work horse classic rock gigging amp but not exactly a '60s classic rock sound. It gets more hard rockish with OD pedals.

Tweed toned amps work well for what you are describing.

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Platinum Supporting Member
The perfect combo tube amp...does not exist.

I've yet to find anything I'd consider perfect or even close. That said there are many, many combos that I really dig and find to be utterly fantastic. My favorites include the Supro 1688TN
Supro 1624T
National 1240 Val-Trem
Supro 1696TN
National Professional
Fender Deluxe 6G3
Fender Vibrolux Reverb
Fender Harvard
Ampeg Reverb Rocket R12R
Vox AC30 and AC15
...I can keep going...

These are all fantastic at various flavors of classic rock...but none of them approach perfect, IMO.

wrxplayer

Gold Supporting Member
My two personal favorites of all time are Roy Blankenship's Fat Boy with Sour Cream and Carr's Slant 6V. Both sound great and both around 40 lbs. Honorable mention to the Tone King Meteor II 740A which I've never owned but heard played often by a buddy's guitarist.

Kolinopi

Thank you guys! I want a combo Marshall jcm. I also don't know what Digital reverb is. All the Marshalls that are for sale online at places like Amazon or musicians friend have. I want spring reverb!

hhawkins

I got the new Fender '68 Custom Vibrolux. It replaced my red knob twin from the late 80s. It's a great tube combo and was just what i was looking for. It pretty much has the same sound of the twin only its slightly smaller and a lot lighter in weight. It is such a portable amp and to be honest it doesn't even feel much heavier than my blues junior. Plenty of clean headroom too. It also looks very cool with the silverface styling. Here's a quick demo at very low volume:

I had a VOX AC15C2 that was quite nice. It's a 212, but I think sounds worlds better than the 112 AC. It also has the larger reverb tank that AC30 has. Not hugely versatile, and to my ear, the cleans lack "dimension", for lack if better terms. That was my reason for selling it. I bought a Blues Deville 410 with the proceeds

stratpaulguy86

Silver Supporting Member
A good Fender Pro Reverb is about the perfect gigging amp. 35-40w, 2x12"s, tube rectified, gorgeous Trem/verb, breaks up awesome when cranked...what's not to love ?!

Trending Topics