The Peripatetic Koll Glide Jr.

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Crazyquilt, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Well, after sitting at the FedEx depot for over 72 hours :BITCHbefore being delivered, I finally got my mitts on the well-travelled red Glide Jr. This is the first time I've wrapped my hands & ears around a custom guitar. What a cool beastie it is. It's kind of Tele-like...but a lot more of everything. My wife even said it was beautiful.

I do see what folks mean about the neck pickup being a little on the overly dark side. But that Electroluxe pickup is incredible. And, for that matter, the middle position is very very good -- the warmth of the neck balances the bridge very well. I may, ahem, warm up to the neck pickup, or, if I'm feeling brave, replace it with a stock TV'tron, rather than what is, as I understand it, an overwound pickup like a TV'tron Plus.

But this cements my desire: I'm getting a custom Koll. I promised myself it'd be for my 40th birthday...but that won't be until 2008. Odds of waiting that long...not so good. :D

2. Saul Koll

Saul Koll Member

Hey,
    That guitar travels well!

Congrats on your new guitar. I'm glad you like it. I don't remember what pickup that had originally, what is in there now, or what would work best for you. Figure out what you need or want to put there, and let me know. I might have one I can send out, or might be able to get something for you. If you need a new pickguard to fit the new one, let me know and I'll take care it.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Saul

3. eric102673

eric102673 Member

Saul, you're a cool cat!

-e.

4. Crazyquilt

You are, indeed, a cool cat, Saul. Thanks a lot -- I very much appreciate the offer.

From what I can tell, the neck pickup is a TV Jones TV'tron...they're pretty distinctive looking. I'll see if I can at least get an idea of how hot it's wound by measuring the pickup leads. I'm inclined to go towards a stock wound TV'tron (like a TV Classic, rather than a Plus) -- my next choice would be a HD Z90, which, I think, would drop right in, as both pickups are standard HB size.

I'm just wondering which would be a better match for the Electroluxe; I'm thinking the Z90 might be too similar to the EL. Contrast is good. :YinYang

No way am I going to be able to wait 3 years. :D

5. erksin

erksin Member

Do the Z-90...

I tried the TV Trons in a Tele and swapped them in favor of the Z-90s - AMAZING pickups. I bet a Z-90 neck would compliment that Electroflux nicely! It can sound nice and fat if you want...

6. Saul Koll

Saul Koll Member

Yeah, those Z-90's are really cool. If you have an overwound TVTRON in there now, you will notice much more clarity and articulation with this pickup. That would be a great blend with the Electroflux, which to my ears is very much like a killer Tele bridge pickup.
    I'm afraid I don't have any of those in stock, sorry. Contact Scott at Harmonic Design and he will make one for you. It should fit the pickguard you have, but if it does not, let me know. http://www.harmonicdesign.net/

cheers,

Saul

7. T-bone

T-bone Member

That's the pickup combo I went with on my soon to be realized Tornado(the first 5 months were easy but now it's getting hard to keep it together:) ). I have some experience with HDZ90 pick ups and have loved them in the neck position. I've yet to hear a Electrofux but it looks so damn cool it's got to be good:)

8. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Hey, my well-traveled Glide Jr just showed up yesterday... after 2 days of riding around in #$%ing FedEx truck. Mine is a dual P90 thang, but I haven't gotten to turn that mother up yet.

I am at least the 3rd owner since it was born on 9/28/05.

9. AD

AD Supporting Member

Sounds like the Fedex employees are enjoying the Koll's also :D

A Glide is on my wish list

10. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Can we see a pic or two?

11. Crazyquilt

Done & done.

I'll order an HD Z90. And Jon ... Pix later today or tomorrow. :)

12. Blunder

Blunder Supporting Member

Congrats on the new guitar.
    I've got a another Duo on order with the Electroflux and a TV Jones Magnatron in the neck position. After a few conversations with Tom at TV Jones, he suggested that the Magnatron would be the best pairing with the electroflux. I'll bet that Z90 will sound pretty sweet with it as well. I almost ordered on of those in the neck originally but was really intrigued by the magnatron/electroflux combo.
    You could also send that TV Tron back to Tom to have him rewind it for you to give you more of the sound you are looking for.

Enjoy,
    B.

13. MJR

MJR Member

Hey! You broke the unspoken rule of not starting a Koll guitar thread without having pictures for us to drool over!

:D

14. Saul Koll

Saul Koll Member

Oh yeah, of course! The magnatron is really cool too. A great choice.
    Before you spend any money, you might contact Tom (TV) and tell him what sounds you are after. I am sure he will have some ideas, and might even dial the one you have a little closer to what you need.

I don't have a shot of the guitar in question, but I do have a shot of the Electroflux:[​IMG][/IMG]
    Asymetrical coil, and a couple different kinds of magnets. Really cool pickup!

And on to:

"lcovemusic

I kinda miss that guitar already Zak ;-) Hope it works out for you!

How's mine coming Saul?"

I'm sorry, I don't know from your alias who you are. If your initials are JE and have ordered a Mahogany guitar, we are getting close to the paint booth. Almost all wood work is done. It is looking great! Call or email me if you need any more description than that. We should be shipping early Jan.
    Same goes for T-bone (I know who that is because it says the name below!) Your guitar is in the exact same stage as JE. Call or email for more info if you need.
    Merry Christmas,

cheers.
    saul

Hey! We have snow and freezing rain in Portland! My daughters are really having fun! As long as we have power, I will be too.

15. Saul Koll

Saul Koll Member

And here is a picture of the TVTRON, in this case in the bridge position:
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    And here are some of the Harmonic Designs:[​IMG][/IMG]

Magntron looks like a TVJONES filtertron, but instead of screws for polepieces, it has solid rod magnets.

They all are really cool and each has its own unique voice.

see you,

saul

16. Crazyquilt

So sorry ... I promised pictures, and then didn't deliver. Kind of got distracted today. Whips were involved. I'll leave it at that. :eek:

(But it's probably not what you're thinking.)

As for pictures:

[​IMG]

For those that might wonder, behind the Koll is a bass bamboo flute & an aspen didgeridoo.

and also:

[​IMG]

Maybe I'll give TV Jones a ring & see what's up. But I have to admit to having a particular fondness for P-90s. Decisions, decisions.

17. showman(tx)

showman(tx) Member

If you get a new neck pup WD has the template for that guard, I used to own that guitar and had WD make the pearloid guard that's on it now. I know Saul volunteered to cut a new guard and I'd definitely go with Saul, but just in case he's busy ...

Great pics Saul, you realize both the tobacco burst and pale green Glides are in the Superior museum ;)

18. Crazyquilt

Thanks, showman. What pickup was on the guitar before this one? Or did you just change the 'guard? I seem to rmemeber, in an older thread about this guitar, that there was mention that there were two pickguards.

19. katuna

katuna Silver Supporting Member

Hi,

I was the original owner of that guitar. As far as I can tell, that front pickup has never been changed. Plus, it was a regular TV tron, not a power tron. Of course, I can't be 100% certain of either of those comments, but I am pretty certain about it. I ordered a regular TV tron, that's for sure.

Great guitar! Enjoy. It sounded great on recordings I made with it. I only ever got rid of it because I needed cash and wanted my more "fender" style guitar to have a fender scale, rather than a gibson one. I definitely miss it from time to time. But I still have one Jr. Glide and am getting a new custom guit from Saul soon, so I still have a lot of reasons to smile!

20. showman(tx)

showman(tx) Member

Same pickup (Kyle's right, both pickups are original), I just got the pearloid guard to match the bridge pup cover. The original guard was cream colored and for awhile both guards were with the guitar, but evidently the original got lost along the way.

Kyle, when's your hollowbody supposed to get here? Can't wait to see it! Shoot me an email on what's new with you ...