The Pete Cornish Thread Mark VI

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by coolhand78, Aug 4, 2014.

1. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

Let the fun continue!!! ;)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
    19BCG87 likes this.
  2. shigihara

shigihara Member

Are we going back to #4 instead of VI ? ;-)

3. coolhand78

I don't know what your talking about...? Lol :D :huh :bonk

4. shigihara

shigihara Member

very cool ! we have a home again... thanks !

5. coolhand78

what's everybody waiting on?

have you got the whole set now Paul?

6. coolhand78

its a mighty impressive set up you have my friend...!

7. guitarpedaladdict

guitarpedaladdict Supporting Member

Hello! Have not posted anything on this in a long time, but don't recall anyone mentioning this... I know that the "clean amp" platform has always been the ideal, but it didn't fully make sense to me regarding the G2 because people love it so much running into the SS3, so I tried running the G2 set with low sustain into the OD channel of my amp and it sounds really good. I even got to blast it a bit while tree cutters were at my house today and it still sounds really good at a volume level I would use when playing with a full band. The only thing that seems different is that the volume knob seems to cap out at noon and not add boost past that. Obviously, the added boost puts you on the edge of feedback, but it's that wonderful controllable thing. I actually think this could effectively bump my TS type pedal off the board...

Anybody else tried this?

8. kakev

kakev Member

Gents,
    I havent seriously used my ss2/g2 duplex for some years now. It used to be my main dirt box for 4 years but I've given up using my hiwatt live and moved to marshall jvm because it's cheap and easily replaced in case something happens.

So, I've been considering selling it, but where i live there's no market for that kind of high-end gear. So what would be my best option selling it? And what would be decent price for used (but not abused) duplex? I didnt buy it directly so I paid quite a bit more than what it retails. Any advice/opinion is appreciated.

9. jonthomas83

jonthomas83 Member

Can anyone tell me more about the compressor? What's it based on, ie. if the Super Chorus is a souped up CE-2, the TES is the old Boss analog delay etc.

10. willem

willem Member

I'm on the list for a battery free G-2, I asked it for december/january.

11. Zeon45

Zeon45 Member

I finally got a G-2 to add to my Cornish pedal collection. I had been using a Top Tone DG2 but always felt something was lacking. I compared the two last night and the G-2 sounds bigger and has better low end response. There's also the excellent buffer in G-2. The DG-2 has a bit more gain but IMHO the Cornish reigns supreme. Next up is the CC-1.

bobbradley likes this.
  12. ChrisC

ChrisC Member

I'm curious, with so much Cornish stuff, amazing collection btw, why did you choose the vovox cables? I use Cornish cable for certain amps I have and love them. I was curious if you find the vovox work better frequency wise with the Cornish stuff?

13. Stanley

Stanley Supporting Member

Could be wrong but I believe its his own design like the CC1 etc

14. jonthomas83

jonthomas83 Member

Ah OK, cool. Thank you :)

15. shigihara

shigihara Member

I've never played with Cornish cables, but I will try some soon.
    My main day gig is working as a guitarist at a broadcasting studio.
    Depending on the music I've found Vovox Sonorus and Evidence Audio Lyric HG cables to be the best choice for ME, especially with high-end gear...

16. shigihara

shigihara Member

Thanks, it took me a long time to have the right mindset to go this way.
    I should have started much earlier... You live and learn. :)

The 2004 board was built around the same time I joined TGP.
    During that year I started playing/recording for Jon Lord's 'Beyond The Notes' project.
    After the CD/DVD release I needed a live board, which I ended up using for two tours
    and single concerts up until 2006. After downsizing to a smaller board, which went through
    many changes over the years, I got tired of having to 'work around problems' and ordered
    what PC calls an EFX routing system, which I got at the end of 2012. Happy ever since.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  17. jonthomas83

jonthomas83 Member

So what happens, does he take your pedals apart and fit the electronics in a custom board?

What did you have to come to terms with? And what makes you think this is a good way to go? I'm interested :)

18. jonthomas83

jonthomas83 Member

Thank you for the links, I think I've read through them a little before, but it was nice to refresh my memory on how he works. That board of yours must be amazing. Is it tube buffered or standard (ha "standard", understatement of the year).

Could I be cheeky and ask for a ballpark figure on how much one of those would set you back? It's a massive pipe dream for me, but I'm 30 now and have wanted a Cornish board like that since I was 17! That's a long wait! Although, I must admit, I've never inquired, but that's mainly because I don't believe I have all the ingredients (pedals) I want yet, in order to make it my perfect board.
    In terms of what, which issues went away? Are we talking sound quality or something else? When you mention "single-pedals-board", which implies that something special switching-wise goes on behind the scenes? Is this correct?

I realise how difficult it would be to articulate into words as undoubtedly, it's an amazing piece of kit, and you're very happy with it. But, I guess what I'm trying to get to grips with is how this has changed the way you approach your pedals.

For example, I have always wanted programmable functionality, so one switch would turn on the SS-3 (the one in my dreams, cos I don't own it yet), the CS-2 and the reverb or delay. Can a Cornish board do that? Or is it still one button assigned to one effect? In which case, it'd be good to hear your thoughts on how this has solved the "single-pedals-board" conundrum for you personally. If you don't mind sharing, of course :)

I'm genuinely interested and not trying to come across as a dick, which sometimes I tend to do with these subjects. Apologies if any of this sounds that way! I've always been pro Cornish stuff so I'm definitely not trolling, I promise!

19. shigihara

shigihara Member

Hey Jon, my answer, the 'short version':

-standard board here.
    -2 things I won't do is post any pics of the inside wiring and discuss 'money'.
    -I don't believe in the concept of a perfect board. Music is first...
    -PC explains it perfectly in his 'No True Bypass' article on his site.
    -If YOUR music needs instant preset switching, you won't need this kind of a system.

20. jonthomas83

jonthomas83 Member

Thanks man, really appreciate that. Hope to hear your long version sometime! I have shed loads of questions I'd like to ask.

Totally respect that you don't want to talk about those things, they're personal and I understand that completely.

I guess for me, I'd be gutted if I spent a lot of money on a Cornish board if I didn't have all the pedals I have on my current wishlist.

Cheers again!