The Pete Cornish Thread Mark VI

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by coolhand78, Aug 4, 2014.

1. MrMoose

MrMoose Supporting Member

DUUUDE!!! I wish I could afford them - so stoked for you!! Keen as to hear how you like them! :)

sonichronic likes this.
  2. jonthomas83

jonthomas83 Member

Cornish X-X -> Kemper... thoughts?

I miss my P-2 and SS-3.

Garfy likes this.
  3. sonichronic

sonichronic Supporting Member

my fees were close to $100!!!! but that was for 3.5k

4. sonichronic

I really cant... business is slow right now and I just emptied out my bank account (not savings) but yeah... not too happy about that.

adolan and MrMoose like this.
  5. sonichronic

I think Cornish into anything is a thumbs up. Pete obviously recommends high-headroom and I get why when I play through my HITONE... but into a champ Cornish sounds great, into my Kingsley preamps and even into VSTs!

6. jonthomas83

jonthomas83 Member

Thank you, if they're good into preamps and VSTs, then should be fine into a Kemper.

7. philrob1

philrob1 Member

Pleased for you @sonichronic

I however am still yet to hear anything, having been on the waiting lists for various things since Q3 2015.

sonichronic likes this.
  8. nicolasmasset

nicolasmasset Member

Thanks for the info. I assume the st2 sounds more Natural and true to the source then? Is it really exactly like your signal or does it have a character too?

DoctorSpock likes this.
  9. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

It can be dialed in almost exactly like your original signal. With that said, if that’s what you’re looking for it’s a lot of money for a clean boost you could buy from any other manufacturer for around $100.

It has a very powerful EQ. I was kidding about it being the anti overdrive, but it really did shine as a way to clean up a dirty non channel switching amp to get a pseudo clean channel from it. Cut the gain a bit, push the treble a bit and it does wonders in moderation.

sonichronic likes this.
  10. nicolasmasset

nicolasmasset Member

Thanks, any thoughts on How it would differ from the 3Q1? Then I’ll shut up :)
    Regarding what I look out for in pedal. Superb dynamics, and preferably no altering of the core tone, just adding on to it, which very very few pedals do correctly. Most always mess with the tone, adding compression, Or making it stiffer, or smaller, veiled etc.

sonichronic likes this.
  11. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Honestly, I have no clue how the 3Q1 sounds because I've never tried one, but the ST-2 does a great job of sculpting an already great core tone. If you look up reviews on it, you'll see it consistently labeled a "tone sweetener" and I think that's a great description. It doesn't really compress or make your sound smaller, if anything it open the sound of your rig up a hair from the bass and treble extensions.

sonichronic likes this.
  12. nicolasmasset

nicolasmasset Member

I think I’ll eventually order one, thanks!!

13. Reyybarra

Reyybarra Supporting Member

Hey guys, not trying to hijack a thread but... playing a semi hollow artinger with Lollar imperial into a two rock type 3 and a Fulton Webb custom.

I’m trying to consolodate my rig a bit and wondering if, in y’all’s expertise, a Cornish SS would be a good choice for me.

I want something open and that sounds uncompressed and harmonically rich. Right now I’m using a deco for my first stage drive, and using a zendrive gold for lead stuff. If I need a boost I’m using the boost on my cali76 txp go hit the zen harder.

Thanks so much for any and all info.

14. Garfy

Garfy Member

Hi Nic, I’ve just received my deluxe 3q-1 to give me a clean boost for my Badcat but with the option to add a little sparkle in the treble if I require it. I wanted to have a boost that I could control the frequencies without having any added compression etc. It’s a linear boost with an added active eq and a master volume. Early doors yet but looking good. I had a BF one a few years back that I used as a shaping tool really so it’s pretty useful in different ways.

MrMoose likes this.
  15. MrMoose

I'm a little confused why an EQ pedal would need both a linear boost AND a master volume? Any thoughts here?

16. Garfy

Garfy Member

Here’s the description from Pete.

“Following on from the variable gain Linear (Clean) Boost is a three band active EQ using frequencies I have specifically tailored to suit guitars. Being active, the three tone bands can be both cut and boosted as desired with the zero or neutral point being 12 o'clock on each control knob. I have included a second fixed gain linear boost stage after the tone circuit to compensate for any reduction in overall volume when the tones are in "cut" mode.

The benefits of this active tone circuit, compared to the usual passive (Cut only) tone circuit is that the three bands are completely independent and there is no inter reaction between the Bass, Middle and Treble tone controls.

An output Master Volume is included to allow for perfect matching between bypassed and boosted/EQ’d signal level and there is plenty of signal headroom available to overdrive amp inputs if required.”

MrMoose likes this.
  17. MrMoose

So there's a clean boost pre-EQ and then post-EQ. I guess I understand the concept, I just don't think I understand why Pete chose to do this, what benefit might it serve?

18. nicolasmasset

nicolasmasset Member

Thanks Marc, that sounds like an uncompressed version of the cc1? I have a feeling the st2 will be a better fit for me to just add a little very high up high end and a low bump to my clean sound. I want one as an always on clean enhancer rather than a boost. My only three pedals for the last couple of years have been Audio kitchen small trees into cruiser into cc1. Killer pedals all of them! Once you reach a certain quality you really can’t go back!

Garfy likes this.
  19. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

From my limited experience I think it would be a good fit for what you’re looking for. I recently picked up an SS-3 because I just had to give these pedals a try after reading about them. I was very much unconvinced that I’d be keeping it because of the cost.

It’s not drastically better than my many other overdrive boxes but it has a special little something. It’s closest to my Timmy pedals, especially my 4580 chipped one, which is good for me because that is far and away my favorite overdrive. So I’ve spent so,e time A/Bing them with loop switcher (so that the buffer I’m the Cornish wasn’t effecting the results from the Timmy) and the SS-3 sounds fuller, more open, and has a much sweeter sounding high end (which I attribute to the buffer as it does the same with my clean signal).

I also discovered it can stack really well and responds great to my Black Box in front of it.

The one thing it doesn’t do great is clean up great from the volume control. It will clean up a little bit, but not like some other pedals. It’s not bad though and my Black Box does that for me so right now I’m running just those two for drive on my board and it seems to be a good setup for me.

Reyybarra likes this.
  20. BigDiceBuddha

BigDiceBuddha Member

Picked up a grey box P2 last night off EBay, price was too good to pass up. This will technically be my first Cornish pedal, although the T.E.S. Should be ready shortly. Figure I can’t go wrong with that pair.

MrMoose likes this.