1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

The Pete Cornish Thread Mark VI

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by coolhand78, Aug 4, 2014.

1. jonthomas83

jonthomas83 Member

Yeah, Pete was pretty good about it all with me. I'm sure he'd be the same now too. 6 years is a hell of a wait!

2. sonichronic

sonichronic Supporting Member

I'm having dreams of the Super 3 showing up.

I think I'm most excited for the flanger. I've always loved how weird an chewy the BF-2 got but I have very little use for flanger tones with out a dry mix. Also the fidelity & headroom from the rebuilt PSU can't hurt. I'm just craving running my '73 Rams Head into it.

I really need to try out a P1 again and put it up against my '73. I had the P1 for almost 2 years & replaced it with a V2 Rams Head (I think circuit #2-3 same as Marveltone & Lyle OEMs)
    (like the unit pictured in the link below).
    http://www.kitrae.net/music/IMG_7402.jpg
    I've never A/Bed them but it sounds a lot different it almost sounds out of phase in certain settings and has this almost 'brass' like tonality to it. perhaps it's all in my head. I remember the P-1 being great but every time I turn on my RH it gets a smile or a 'whoa' out of me. it's also a lot more touch responsive like a fuzz to me. the P-1 was more distortion like, although P-1 had a great range of gain. my RH does not. I really enjoyed playing the P-1 on low gain(sustain) settings. I do missing owning a P-2 as well and know I'm going to pickup a P-2 before I get a P-1 because I could definitely use a smoother beefier muff in my arsenal.

I don't know where to begin with the Stereo Super Chorus. I've been going through quite the chorus obsession lately. I've refrained from a Stereo rig for sometime now, but now that I have the HITONE & Kingsley rig, I don't know what is going to happen? I kinda don't want to go down the Stereo rabbit hole because I know I'm going to start including rack gear... and I don't know if I'm ready for that kinda GAS.

I also can't wait to have the TES back in my life. Just thinking about those repeats into my HITONE puts a HUGE smile on my face.

MrMoose, adolan and ctrobertson like this.
  3. Jazzmaster60

Jazzmaster60 Member

I’m very, very , very happy for you dude .
    The favourite of the three is likely to change each week .

4. adolan

adolan Member

Once you go stereo at home, you wont go back to 1 amp..at least not for a LONNNGGGG TIME...haha :) you will disappear into the ether of your Tonzzzz man!! the tone overlords shall take you!!
    I say, Go for it!

:dude(((((((((((( IN STEREO ))))))))))))))) :dude

jonthomas83 likes this.
  5. sonichronic

*was editing my last post and deleted it don't want to type all that again but I do want to know this

WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE CORNISH UNIT AND WHY?!

my answer:

ST-2 - it's a very big part of my sound.
    it just seems to center my clean tone and I suppose I kinda use it like a preamp.

if I were to get a duplex made it would be; OC-1 + ST-2 as an I/O interface.

OC-1 w/ a send to my other pedals and then a return to the ST-2
    the entire chain would be buffered on the input and output & I could have my guitar and cable attach to the same unit.

DoctorSpock likes this.
  6. JCRW

JCRW Member

Waiting on an LD-1/T to arrive, it has been a while since I have been able to purchase more gear but now that the job stability is solid I can pick up where I left off. Next on the list is a Cornish G2 and then I "think" I am set. The photo that Pete posted on Facebook with the BF switchable TB-83 has got me curious about how it would work with a Hi-Tone? I know it is THE classic pedal to put in a VOX chain but if it happens to work in a Hiwatt inspired amp how would it compare to an SS-3/G2?

SimonGotthelf and sonichronic like this.
  7. sonichronic

ANYONE?!

8. sonichronic

put a cleanish boost with a tone control set on the treble side and that should approximate the kinda breakup you'll get from your HITONE. it also depends on how clean you run your HITONE. as you know when you put more volume into a HIWATT circuit it just gets louder it doesn't saturate unless you are pushing it quite a bit. obviously a clean boost won't completely execute the qualities of a Treble Booster but you'll get the idea.

Also @SimonGotthelf has some great videos on youtube featuring the TB-83 and might be able to comment on how a treble booster sounds with a high headroom amp.

JCRW and SimonGotthelf like this.
  9. ctrobertson

ctrobertson Member

It's hard to say but if I had to keep one it would still probably be my G-2... that thing is just rock n' roll in a box.

10. MrMoose

MrMoose Member

LD-1 :) #4lyfe

11. sonichronic

see I would have gone with this but you get the LD-1 in every single one of Petes pedals except for the TB series. so why not pick anything else?

MrMoose likes this.
  12. hstlaurent

hstlaurent Supporting Member

BD-1

13. sonichronic

good choice. that one is fun as hell. if I was in a heavy band or like a big riff band that and the NG-3 would be my entire gain section. don't even need to tune down, especially with an amp that can take sub frequencies you can get the stage rumbling with that guy.

14. MrMoose

MrMoose Member

Cos I’m a true-bypass-loop-man (also #4lyfe), so turning off a pedal doesn’t equal LD-1 for me!! :p

jonthomas83 likes this.
  15. sonichronic

makes sense.

MrMoose likes this.
  16. jonthomas83

jonthomas83 Member

SS-3

Close runner up would be OC-1 because it's pretty much always on, for me. So in that respect, I can't do without it. It IS my tone.

MrMoose likes this.
  17. Joern Venaas

Joern Venaas Member

I choose my big custom Cornish Wah. 3 donut rings for wah, boost,mute. Loop for volume pedal and extra power outs. Big wooden box full of the good stuff only Pete makes.

18. cholula69

cholula69 Silver Supporting Member

I was really into the ST-2 for a long time. I used it nearly exclusively for a number of years. When I got the OC-1 it really opened my eyes to what a great compressor could be. For dirty stuff, I still hold the NG-2/3 to be one of the best fuzz pedals he makes. If I had to choose one I guess I would have to go with the ST-2 based on my history using it.

19. SimonGotthelf

SimonGotthelf Supporting Member

SS-3/G2 is gain, TB83 is treble boost as you know. I have always used the Cornish gain boxes with the volume up high as a boost and dirt box at the same time.
    The TB-83 is just awesome and a lot of fun to play.
    I my experience it works into an amp on the edge of breakup (or dirty). High headroom is great but you have to get into that output tube distortion for the TB-83 to really work its magic
    Cheers

JCRW, sonichronic and cholula69 like this.
  20. sonichronic

this got me thinking because I have a true bypass loop at the start of my chain but I put an OC-1 in front so I get the use of the buffer. but I was under the impression that Petes buffer was 'always on' even when the pedal is engaged. not only when bypassed.

anyway, I asked Pete and he confirmed that indeed the LD-1 is in every single pedal except for the TB units... and they are always on regardless if the effect is in use. now obviously if it's in a bypass loop it's not but this once again proves that those who have an LD-1 before other Cornish units is redundant. which is weird because I see so many boards like this.