1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

The Pete Cornish Thread Mark VI

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by coolhand78, Aug 4, 2014.

1. sonichronic

sonichronic Supporting Member

CORNISH PEDAL MONIKERS
    what do they mean?

The ones I know;
    BD-1 (BASS DRIVER)
    OC-1 (OPTICAL COMPRESSOR)
    LD-1 (LINE DRIVER)
    CC-1 (CORNISH CRUNCH)
    SS-2/3 (SOFT SUSTAIN)
    P-2/1 (PRECISION fuzz) P1 came after P2 correct?
    3Q-1 (3 BAND EQ)
    LP-2 (LOOP) I presume?

But what do these ones stand for?

G-2 :
    GERMANIUM?

NG-2/3 :
    I know this was called the death pedal by Lou Reed?

ST-2 :
    perhaps T stands for treble?

NB-3/NBM-2 :
    I’ve read it somewhere as NU (new) BOOST.
    there is also the IRON BOOST & MID BOOST versions,
    both had frequency toggle switches

TB-83 (TREBLE BOOST) :
    but what does the 83 stand for? I believe the concept for the pedal was designed in 77?

MrMoose likes this.
  2. MrMoose

MrMoose Member

Yeah absolutely, you're probably right there. I can see one possible advantage though - the LD-1 and LD-3 can be run at up to 24v. But some of Pete's other pedals are 9v only. So there could be some minute difference there.

Personally I don't own all Cornish pedals (wish I did!) - and some pedals I like the sound plugged direct in (fuzzes obviously, but some overdrives too). So I like to have the LD-1 in the mix but not necessarily first. And any Cornish pedal I did add I would put in a true-bypass loop - so no help that the LD-1 is included.

I tried using a tube buffer once, but I felt like it had a softening effect on the transients, while the LD-1 keeps them strong. Actually, sometimes playing through the LD-1 I feel it's a bit stiff maybe (splitting split-hairs I know, but hey, my rig my rules! :p ) - but everytime I hear the LD-1 recorded I always really like the sound - so what that means I have no idea - but that makes it a winner for me :)

3. DoctorSpock

DoctorSpock Supporting Member

I’d say $425/$450 for the more expensive Cornish pedals is absolutely a steal, not simply a great deal. For a CC-1 that’d be like a 40+% discount, which I don’t see as justified just because it’s not “new”. Cars depreciate immediately, yeah, but why should a pedal? There’s essentially zero maintenance and most of the oldest ones have actually appreciated in value, often quite substantially. Additionally, the seals on PC pedals rule out the possibility that it’s been tinkered with or modded giving a secondhand buyer largely unprecedented peace of mind. The pedal market is so illogical and it pains my Spock-ish brain

adolan likes this.
  4. DoctorSpock

By the way, I spent like an hour comparing my two battery free NG-3’s through both the HiTone DG-50 and the Two Rock Classic Reverb Signature. I tried my very hardest to hear differences so that I could pick my favorite and sell the other but they sound identical to my ears, so alas one is in the emporium. There’d be times where I’d think I’d hear a difference in one but then they’d reverse and I’d hear it the other way, which to me means there were no significant results and at the end it was a total toss up.

This is the first time I’ve seen anyone compare a PC pedal to itself so I had to share.

ctrobertson likes this.
  5. adolan

adolan Member

I just feel like if a pedal is used and is currently available now new, Then a used price of 10% less (esp since the warranty isn't valid anymore for most vendors) just does not jive with me.
    I know the prices I paid are great but, I wait, I am patient, I know how it goes because when I need money, I undercut everyone and sell right away. So I know it works in reverse and I lucked out so far. I like a deal and so does the next person and its a karma thing anyways at some point...or not...idk.. :p Oh and my NG-3 was $550 which was about as good as it gets so far on Reverb, saw one at some point for maybe $500 I think..

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  6. sonichronic

I just wanted to say I'm going crazy waiting for the Super 3. like a little too crazy. Probably 'cause I'm not working right now. So not only am I waiting but I see a 3.5k investment which has not arrived yet and I have no money coming in.

I thought some time off I've taken would perfectly match up with the arrival of my TES/SSC&SFL because I made payment 2 weeks before I took the time. I've wanted to reorganize my studio & rig for awhile now... now that I had my HITONE back, my Kingsley preamp + poweramp rig and just purchased a UAD OX. I though it would be the perfect time to do it.

talked to Pete, and I think I was correct I was in that last batch of TES, because he told me he still needs to finish the modulation units but he's currently on a large tour project with a French band.

still have no idea how long it's going to take. as far as I know the tour could be months? I suppose I should stop dreaming about using this break from work to delve into my rig reorganization and start work on something else.

I will say, during this time off I've spent a lot of time with just my Cornish gear in signal and haven't touched my Kingsley rig. I don't want to mention it in the Kingsley thread just yet but I think I've fallen out of love with the Kingsley kit. While I still think it's possibly the highest quality of kit next to Petes... I don't see needing any more overdrive pedals, & as for the preamps... my HITONE is blowing them out of the water. I am loving running them into the HITONE though, but what's the point of that? I never thought I'd say this but I could probably sell all my Kingsley kit and buy a Blackface or D-style amp.

MrMoose likes this.
  7. MrMoose

MrMoose Member

How do Kingsley overdrives hold up to Cornish?

8. sonichronic

IMO they are a different thing. but I've used more of Kingsley preamps than overdrives. I only have the Harlot at the moment and its certainly a great overdrive but I can't get it to kick off anything Cornish. I've also owned the Minstrel and both of them could possibly go up against my BKTD. but even my Tube Driver goes on and off my board.
    Kingsley makes amazing overdrives but I've been under the Cornish dirt spell for awhile, I've only added different fuzz/distortion pedals (usually vintage) to my rig over the last 2-3 years, I don't even look at new overdrives anymore.
    I was never really amazed with the Kingsley OD's I was more enamored with his preamp builds.
    If I really tried I bet I could get one of the Kingsley OD's to kick off the G-2. but the G2 and I have an odd relationship, I don't like the low end drop and I don't like how the G2 sounds when I'm playing it but it sounds great when I hear it back recorded. I've even asked Pete if he could build a 3Q-1 with a S/R loop in it so I could use it to permanently EQ the G-2. I remember him saying it could be possible if I removed the Battery but then I do remember him saying it wasn't possible? I need to re-read those emails. anyway, rambling.

Long story short, ALL Kingsley kit is amazing... I would be all over them if Cornish didn't exist. His prices are also AMAZING for the quality... 300 for a handmade turret board TUBE pedal the size of t-rex/buffalo enclosure? Preamps are 315-400. amazing. dammit now I don't want to sell. I'll plug em in tomorrow and give em a play.

MrMoose likes this.
  9. JCRW

JCRW Member

Thanks Simon for providing some more details into the TB-83. Sounds like I would be much safer to focus on something like the G2 for my HiTone setup. Hopefully some time this year that pedal will arrive at my door.:)

SimonGotthelf likes this.
  10. MrMoose

MrMoose Member

I'm just surprised that solid state drives hold up so well against tube drives - it's a funny one, cos we'd nearly never be saying the same thing about amps...just thinking out loud :)

11. sonichronic

Have you talked to Pete yet?
    Pete's normal catalog no longer has a long wait.

which series are you looking at? Battery-Free, Grey or Deluxe?
    the used market is quite affordable these days, not that I want take business away from Pete.
    there is something special about reaching out to Pete and having a pedal made specially for you with your name on it.

12. JCRW

JCRW Member

No worries about order times, just have to start saving up the funds for the next pedal hehe. He was very quick setting up and sending out my LD-1/T which I should be picking up today. :)

13. caballero59

caballero59 Member

Was hoping you throw a couple of words a this difference between Hitone and Kingsley preamps?

DoctorSpock likes this.
  14. DoctorSpock

Yeah treble boosters into high headroom amps just give a big volume bump more than anything. They really need an amp that’s already compressing and softening to push into. Bad match for a Hiwatt. However, TB pushing another drive pedal before Hiwatt could be a good thing but I’d be inclined to go for a tube drive then (perhaps just out of superstition)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019 at 9:10 PM
    SimonGotthelf likes this.
  15. philrob1

philrob1 Member

Reckon that means April is now September! :D

Garfy likes this.
  16. SimonGotthelf

SimonGotthelf Supporting Member

You are very welcome - I think you will be very happy with the G-2 :)

17. BigDiceBuddha

BigDiceBuddha Member

Hey quick question for you Cornish direct buyers. I got my T.E.S. two weeks ago. He sent it overnight which was $90 and built into the cost of the build. I know the cost because he sent me an itemized receipt.

Yesterday, I got a letter from Fed Ex that said I owed $53 to them for customs and homeland security. I don't mind paying it, but is that standard?

18. cholula69

cholula69 Silver Supporting Member

Yes, customs fees are billed separately and are a tax charged by the government.

BigDiceBuddha likes this.
  19. BigDiceBuddha

BigDiceBuddha Member

Thanks, just wanted to make sure before I paid it.

20. DoctorSpock

USPS doesn’t pull that crap though. Those freight handlers try to get away with what they can