The Pixar movie _SOUL_

tostyj

**SPOILERS**: I had no expectations before watching it...didn’t even know what it was about. I didn’t like it at first. It made me uncomfortable, like I was late to class or something. But as it got rolling, it definitely spoke to me. From the “zone”, to the interactions w the band leader (forget her name), to the main character’s self-absorbed behavior, and the “big break” not making him feel how he thought it would...wow, it was all VERY familiar. I thought it was great. My daughters and wife all thought it was meh.

Reactions: BUK

arpegadream

Silver Supporting Member
I find that when people critique a movie, some critique the story primarily, others critique the direction or something else. For me, even if a storyline is flawed, it doesn't mean a movie isn't possibly good. Frank Herbert's writing is not my favorite, and I know most people think the Movie is horrible (not the coming one), but I like the movie, there are elements that I find very intriguing. Sometimes the most slick presentations leave me wanting while rough edged imagination makes me happy.

I found Soul to be pleasantly naive. It was emotive and does make you think. Honestly, our lives aren't meaningless, as the story teaches, all the little things are profound and important. We are more the parts of a sum than we are a sum of the parts.

Reactions: BUK

hw2nw

Silver Supporting Member
I'm still processing this movie after a few days. I was disappointed when the credits began to roll, but after seeing the dialogue around the movie i'm starting to appreciate it more.

It was good not great. The ending was kind of an easy way out IMO. Beautiful graphics though.
Exactly how I felt. Good Pixar Movie but not top 5. Overall forgettable, but not bad like Onward or Cars 2 were.

Thought the movie had an overall slow pace until the last 10-15 minutes then it felt super rushed.

While it was an enjoyable watch, I think the overwhelming positive critical reviews are overblown.

Benz2112

Memba?
Gold Supporting Member
I believe that Jon Batiste composed the songs, and Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross scored the rest of the film. They went above and beyond with the musical content. Jaime Fox's performance was fantastic, though I found Tina Fey's performance to be a weak point. The story is overall well done, as well as all the visuals. It made it into my kids rotation, which ain't easy, perhaps I won't have to see Frozen 2 again. Give it a watch.

Outlier

I liked it. Had low expectations going in and found it entertaining and thought provoking.

jakethesnake

Loved the graphics (some scenes looked real!) and the music! Got excited when I saw Trent and Atticus were involved. I also thought Jamie Foxx and Tina Fey did great jobs with their voice roles.

Overall, I was disappointed with the movie. It was a solid concept and parts of the movie were really good but it missed it's full potential.

Still better than Onward, but that's a different story lol.

MikeVB

Silver Supporting Member
I wonder how many recognize that music was simply the vehicle and not the take home message?

Trending Topics