The plan is to sell off all my electric guitars, start over, and just buy 1 good versatile one.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rich2k4, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

2. skinvoyager

skinvoyager Supporting Member

Serious question: How much "maintenance" are you guys doing? I have fourteen guitars. They hang on my wall. I gig 2-3 nights a week. I usually bring three guitars to a show. I rotate and gig all my guitars except two of them. My maintenance consists of string changes, the occasional intonation adjustment, and oiling the fretboards every so often. I've had to adjust an LP truss rod once in recent memory because we got rained on and moisture got in the case. Other than that, my guitars are worry-free. What all are you dong to them?

blackba, Gasp100, R3deemed and 3 others like this.
  3. Jarick

Jarick Member

I've tried this and it NEVER works for me. A few times I've consolidated down, only to grow back up again. Often more expensive. BUT, I'm all about taking things you don't use and getting rid of them in favor of what you do.

Personally, if I had one guitar for the rest of my life, right now I'd want it to be a PRS DGT. It's a dual humbucker guitar, ability to use dual volumes, ability to coil tap, no need for any upgrades out of the box. The Suhr Pete Thorn model would also be a killer choice.

Gasp100 and stratman89 like this.
  4. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

I was thinking the exact same thing.

I got one a couple of months ago and it's been a Swiss army knife.

Position:

1. Tapped humbucker – single coil
    2. Neck - full humbucker
    3. Both pickups in full humbucking
    4. Inside of both pickups - single coil
    5. Bridge – full humbucker
    6. Push pull – parallel
    [​IMG]

R3deemed and CanuckChris like this.
  5. 5F6-A

5F6-A Member

One, really good guitar is great.

6. phel21

phel21 Member

Guitars in cases for years are a waste of space and money. You say you're playing a cheaper guitar than the others. What kind of guitars do you have? The 8-10 can't all be bad. Maybe one of those with a few adjustments could be a keeper.

You complain about the amount of maintenance, but you can't be doing much of that if the frets are rusty :) I've got around 10 guitar myself, but keep them on the wall to assure they all get used every now and then. Maintenance isn't much more than dusting off once a month and a wipe and fretboard-cleaning when strings are changed. The guitars I use a lot get regular strings, while I use coated Elixir strings for the less used ones. The coated strings stay crisp for a lot longer than regular strings if the guitar isn't played much.

From the specs you mention I would suggest PRS' Pauls Guitar, available both as US made core-series and cheaper Indonesian SE. The core does IMHO sound a lot better than the SE, but possibly not 4x better to match the difference in price. They feel very similar to play though.

A strat-style guitar with HSS is considered the pinnacle of versatility by many, but then you have the trem to take care of.

7. Gl4th

Gl4th Member

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

I reduced to 4 guitars (ES-335, LP, Strat, Tele), but just one I play the most (ES-335). 1 amp and 6 pedals.

I’m planning to sell the Tele, the one the many suggested as the more versatile. The other two will stay for some kind of sentimental value.

Sold everything else.

ethomas1013 likes this.
  8. mwhy

mwhy Supporting Member

Buy this before I do! [CB Hill content! ]. Not SS frets, but this will take you anywhere you wanna go! [No affiliation with the Seller, but I own a CB guitar, and know CB -- he makes excellent instruments!]

Baxtercat likes this.
  9. Jimmy R

Jimmy R Member

That's great! I have a CS Mary Kaye and just picked up a CS Ancho Poblano and I totally get what you're saying. The Mary Kaye is more like a traditional '57 Strat and the Ancho Poblano has a bridge pickup that can make Tele bridge pickups hide under the bed.

Atmospheric likes this.
  10. motokev

motokev Member

Funny, I have thought the same thing many times. It bugs me to have too much. I actually acted on it a few years ago and sold everything. But, it didn't last long before I was buying and accumulating again, vicious cycle. I think I've concluded it's nice to GRAB a different guitar or amp instead of the same one.

11. tonedover

tonedover Supporting Member

12. guitarpedaladdict

guitarpedaladdict Member

I did this exact thing almost 9 years ago. Similar to you, I had amassed a bunch of guitars, none of which I was too thrilled with. I sold them all and bought a PRS Artist V, a wonderful guitar, but ultimately, I spent a lot of time trying to get it to sound like a Les Paul (changing pickups), so I decided to sell it and pick up a LP style guitar.

The lessons I learned with this first part of the journey? For me, I didn't want something that kinda sounded like a bunch of different classic guitars (LP, Strat, Tele), but not quite like any one of them at the same time. Also, DON'T buy a PRS new, a year later, I took a beating on the resale. So, if you're going to start with a PRS (which is a very good "one electric" option), buy used and go into it knowing it will never 'exactly' cover all the sounds.

The second part of my journey (post PRS), was the purchase of a used Ruokangas Unicorn which I still own. That guitar taught me a lot about what a REALLY good guitar is all about. It's not that the PRS wasn't fantastic, it was. Rather, the Unicorn helped me to see what a really good example of an iconic guitar type can do. It also made me realize that I still wanted a Strat and a Tele.

9 years later, I own three really nice electric guitars by highly talented builders, the Unicorn, a Strat, and a Tele. I'm thrilled to play any of them and thrilled to be able to nail the sound of the classics that I grew up with.

If I had a giant house with a dedicated guitar room and a ton of extra cash, I would probably own a few more, but I no longer feel the "need" to keep adding guitars (except for a high quality acoustic, lol). I think someone else said it early on, "one really nice guitar is the gateway to several more." I found this to be immensely true. I would suggest selling all of your guitars and taking as much time as you need to try out different instruments and get really clear about what you like and don't. Make it your mantra when buying that you are looking for a guitar that is worthy of keeping for a lifetime. What exactly would it take for you to feel that way about your instrument? Unquestionably, my Unicorn is one of those guitars for me, so is my Tele (made by Marc Rutters). My Strat is amazing, but sometimes leaves me thinking about another strat played two years ago that might have been better for me.

I know this is a long post, but I hope you find some of this helpful.

13. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

Please let us know how much you get in a trade in or cash from a store
    And what you ended up getting with pictures

14. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Supporting Member

Interesting, that Armstrong Blender Mod, nice to fatten the sound up when required.

15. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

First you need to identify what camp feels most comfortable to you. Bolt On 25&1/2 scale Fender, or 24&3/4" scale Gibson, yes there is the compromise PRS 25" scale as well. Next identify Semi Hollow or Solid body, for both weight and sonic considerations. You said trem doesn't matter. Here are some in those camp IMO that work well.
    1.)Parker Fly Classic
    2.) Super Strat or Tele (even parts builds) too many to mention brand.
    3.) PRS Swamp Ash model
    4.) PRS Hollow Body
    5.)Gibson ES-339 Studio,or regular models
    6.) Gibson Les Paul Std (I prefer R8 model)

Remember to actually play the guitar you are going to buy or at least get a return guarantee. Also buy used if possible and save some $
    Best of luck on your quest!

16. Maggie_O

Maggie_O Member

Quoted for truth.

Rick Kelly and Chihoe Hahn make some of the best T-types out there; or find a Fender that suits you.

17. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

I woul dbe interested in the Peavey T-60

18. somedude

somedude Member

I did something similar but had the opposite result. I really dug that PRS didn’t sound like a Les Paul, Strat or Tele. I found the lack of preconceived notions about how it should sound freed me up to develop my own thing.

Norrin Radd 1966 and DV52 like this.
  19. LeicaBossNJ

LeicaBossNJ Silver Supporting Member

PRS 408 is probably the most versatile guitar I've laid hands on.

But you have to love your axe if you have just one.

I've started to pare down as well. Feels Good.

20. halcyon

halcyon Member

I don't think I would ever want to not have at least one Telecaster and at least one Les Paul. If I *really* felt compelled to drop back to one guitar (I have six right now), it'd be a Suhr Alt T.

The thing is that I play three very different styles of music and in different tunings. It's hard to do that with just one guitar, much as I share the minimalist sentiment of the OP.