The PLASMA Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by EpicEsquire, Jan 24, 2018.

1. EpicEsquire

EpicEsquire Member

2. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

That's cool, but cool doesn't mean it will sound good. Waiting for guinea pigs...

3. EpicEsquire

EpicEsquire Member

Com on bruh - it says "transparent"!

Sterling#Sound and Holzar88 like this.
  4. olgluefoot

olgluefoot Member

Now that's a gimmick I can get behind!! I'll need a rack mountable version!

falcopryor likes this.
  5. thomas4th

thomas4th Member

So . . . it's a distortion pedal with a flashier clipping section?

Dandolin and Holzar88 like this.
  6. Fu Schnickens

Fu Schnickens Member

So....it's a distortion pedal with a fluorescent light?

Dandolin likes this.
  7. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

The sound didn't do much for me, but it's sure lovely. Nikola Tesla would be proud.

brb9911, blackba, Honch and 1 other person like this.
  8. NakedInTheRain

NakedInTheRain Member

that's pretty cool. not sure i'd appreciate the sound as much if i thought it were a normal distortion though.

9. EpicEsquire

EpicEsquire Member

This reminds me of the JHS Bulb

Motherfuzzer likes this.
  10. Honch

Honch Member

Interesting concept. I think this is what lacks most software modelling amp sims. Real tube amps can be made sound ugly, like this little sucker. The possibility to make proper SQUARE WAVE clipping which plays havoc and can destroy speakers. Fast transients. I would love to try this before any amp modelling software at lower levels. I'll bet it will clip any input on any sound card... ha ha... no matter where the level knob is set.

However, one major caveat:

As I've heard that T-REX old reverb pedal (Room Mate) with a real tube in it are starting to go havoc by now (I've heard one or two examples). The tube isn't changeable or able to swap out, at any cost, and if you should have it done by any cost it's more cheaper to buy a brand new one. Go on and google about "planned obsolescence". I had one of these once, and got wary of these things, and thought "in natural reverb spaces there's no tube involved at all". So I sold it no matter how good it actually sounded. BUT the tube did induce a small amount of noise, not needed or heard in any pedal. Also the need for extreme "power" at 12 v 330 mA seems a tad overkill. Wonder how much this pedal "consumes" in terms of power.

Which comes to this pedal: When the Xenon gas tube runs out (it will, even it takes a zillion years) is it possible to change it out? Will it "fade" in performance so to speak? Then it's just "planned obsolescence" as well as any other pedal, or electronics. The major advantage of it, is that I don't think this will ever be possible to duplicate exactly on any software guitar amp sim. I like it because I am able to make my guitar sound ugly if I want to. Color me interested, even though it seems a bit niched.

- - - - - - -

Their PLUS pedal fell short on me though. I have tried it. I was thinking in the lines of "finally I can play a first fret F on the E-string, and make it sound like it's played an open string, and play unstained chords on the rest of the strings above it". Alas, while it do sustain if for ages, it doesn't gradually decay as an open string on guitar should do, while playing the other strings. While it can have its merits, I think the niched genres where it can be used are soon to filled up with competion from the others out there. The large manufacturers Eventide, Strymon, Boss, T.C. Electronic will find away around this patent and better the idea.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    FokenBusker likes this.
  11. Honch

Honch Member

On this video from around 7.50 and on, when he hangs on a bent note the inevitable natural noise gate kicks in. It seems it can't hold decaying signals past a certain level that's too low a threshold... you have to keep them notes going, and this is a dead give away if you'd ask me:

Sorry, the other pedal sustained forever, but this one not. ;)

12. Honch

Honch Member

They should be able to get that signal be able to be going, and not a dead stop. The quick cut offs bothers me. The whole pedal is somewhat limited to high gain metal chugging riffs all of the time and little much else then.

13. hendrik7

hendrik7 Member

14. mousepunk

mousepunk Member

Is it a flux capacitor to travel through the time?

15. Honch

Honch Member

Surely a Bose-Einstein condensate...imposes like a plasma instead.

16. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I think I'll wait for the antimatter version to come out. I want nothing less than to annihilate my audience.

17. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

18. bxlxaxkxe

bxlxaxkxe Supporting Member

It is a little gimmicky but it sure does look cool.

19. GT100

GT100 Member

A Bose-Einstein Condensate will only form a few degrees above absolute zero.
    So I'm guessing it's dosen't work that way...

Lloyd

Honch likes this.
  20. flcmcya

flcmcya Silver Supporting Member

The Plus pedal sitting next to it looked way more useful to me.